Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Having an issue with my 07 ZZR600 at low speeds. When in first gear at very low cruising speed, in gear 1, clutch fully out, the bike sputters. The sputtering is hard to explain the only thing that I can compare it to is its like in a manual car, when you put it in gear with not enough gas, it rocks jerks back and forth until coming to speed. It's the same when I roll on the throttle gently, the bike rocks like that and sputters until I get to say 5km/hr. It's the same likewise when I roll off the throttle and its slowing down to a slow speed. I don't think it's slow enough to be the bike about to stall. Thinking it may be some carb issue.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I should say it's pretty much anything under 10mph. I've cruised around with r1's at that speed while they're in first gear and its silky smooth, cluth out. Mine jerks back and forth. Pretty sure this isnt normal. Really hoping to avoid carb work.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
then your only option is to ignore it. because that's a carburetion issue. your fuel screw is probably a little too lean(lean condition can cause bucking at low RPM).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 rep, thanks. Its a useful piece of info, maybe one day I'll dive into the carbs when I get more familiar with the bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
which way richens your carbs? in or out? mine sputters a little too under 4k rpm's but mine's been jetted...

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
out is rich.

turn the screw in until it lightly seats, counting the turns so you can set them back to what they were if you need to.

an easy way to tell if you're running a little lean or rich on the bottom is to blip the throttle. if it settles back to the set idle right away it's good. if the revs hang for a few seconds then fall back to idle it's lean, if the revs fall and dip below the set idle, then rise back up to meet it it's rich.

roadrash, were the pilot/idle jets changed when you jetted it? you might be rich on the bottom if your jets are too big

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
out is rich.

turn the screw in until it lightly seats, counting the turns so you can set them back to what they were if you need to.

an easy way to tell if you're running a little lean or rich on the bottom is to blip the throttle. if it settles back to the set idle right away it's good. if the revs hang for a few seconds then fall back to idle it's lean, if the revs fall and dip below the set idle, then rise back up to meet it it's rich.

roadrash, were the pilot/idle jets changed when you jetted it? you might be rich on the bottom if your jets are too big
Mine acts normally when I blip, doesn't hessitate to go back to normal idle speed, doesn't drop below and climb back up either. Hmm.. maybe I'm just over reacted to a carb response bike :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine acts normally when I blip, doesn't hessitate to go back to normal idle speed, doesn't drop below and climb back up either. Hmm.. maybe I'm just over reacted to a carb response bike :(
Bro then you either have a small vacuum leak sometimes that’s throttle body boots other times it’s vacuum lines. Sounds like if your carbs have no flat spots and revs right through all ranges you may need to adjust your idle speed some also. The air to fuel screws could be off all by half a turn as well. Sometimes it’s runs fairly good but not quite perfect. Start at baseline settings and turn out from there take it for a spin do this until it hits the sweet spot is easiest way without any guages. Carbs may need synchronized but the zzr600 is either a very temperamental bike or Ive been having folks drop me off garbage bikes to work on. I have the same bike now in my garage. Dove in some it’s firing up but you wouldn’t believe that I found someone tried to put car spark plugs in the bike and couldn’t even get the coils pushed in enough. Thread pitch was slightly Fd on one cylinder from the attempt. It’s a used bike do a tune up clean the carbs clean your tank synchronize with vacuum gauges and check for leaks. Check compression while your in there is always my first go to. If you don’t know the compression you are at ground zero. One step at a time air fuel and spark after. All this said the 300 dollar bike I picked up fired up with 60k on the clock but someone hacked to pieces the wiring harness and got a replacement from eBay to my door for 25. There’s never a direct answer if we don’t start from the beginning. Hit me when you know compression

1 - 9 of 9 Posts