Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the plan.
Add New dog bones to lower the rear 1", and loosen the triple tree clampsand Lower the front about 1"
My question is this.

My shocks already stick up a little above the triple tree clamp. If I lower it 1" then there would be enough room to move the clip on to the top of the triple tree clamp.
This would give me a better riding position(I have back problems) for speeds under 70 mph.
The only problem I see with this idea is that besides being clamped to the shock. The clip ons are attached to the triple tree clamp with (1) small bolt.

My worries are. Will not attaching this small bolt be dangerous. I figure with it just clamped to the shocks. They should be tight enough.

Has anyone done this?
Does it sound like it would work?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another idea would be to remove the clip ons, and swap left for right if possible. then the bolt hole could be drilled and tapped from the top of the triple tree clamp.

Can the clip ons be swapped or are they specific to one side??

·
Registered
757 Posts
Swapping sides might not work. I think the standard stock clip-on angle is 5 degrees, so you'll end up with a 10 degree difference which will give you wrist cramps for sure. Moving them on top of the triple tree sounds like a much better idea. What you could try is a pinch bolt here:
Just make sure to divot the fork legs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I wouldn't even try to mess with that. I can think of too many things that could go wrong. Why don't you just invest in a good set of bar risers? Inexpensive and simple to install.

·
Registered
108 Posts
In regards to the bolt that screws into the upper triple, it is not necessary. Most/all after market clip-ons don't have this feature. I have heard that it is there to line up the clip-on during assembly.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I know exactly what little bolt you are talking about. This little bolt gives the clip on and clamp and shock a structural integrity. You want that, it's also important for feedback.

·
Registered
277 Posts
put some dirt bars on it. There are conversions out there. :D few stunt guys are going with that set up now.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Placing the clipons, on top, won't hurt at all. If you want to flip them upside down, that's fine too. Stunters do it, streetfighters often do this as well. It may feel awkward at first, but you will get used to any mod you do.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you drop the front a full inch be aware that you will probably will bang hard parts under severe braking. Usually more than a half inch and the fender will slam into the radiator or other parts will self destruct.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
mine is lowered 2" front and rear and the only thing that hits is the fender hits the underside of the front faring when landing wheelies, or hitting pot holes to hard/fast. i also bottom out the bottom plastics on the highway if i hit a big dip or bump to fast.

it also takes more effort to lean it but thats another story.

thanks
anthony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.