Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Lowered pics

12K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Chance.316 
#1 ·
Im looking to find some recent pictures of lowered bikes. I want to drop mine down a bit but im not sure how much.

And to clear things up before I get flammed..I DO NOT track race, i DO NOT drag my knee's threw twisties, nor do I have any desire to do either. Hell, I still have the stock tire hairs after 1400km on my bike.
strictly just a cruiser, and bombing around in town.

Thanks.

#6 ·
Front end is dropped one of two ways

1)Straps
2)Triple tree and forks.

Sorry I dont have pics to show you, just dont got to low or the belly pan will scrape at any bump you hit. Also I would reccommend muzzy lowering links, they come with three different settings on them so you can toy around and find what fits you best.

#10 ·
acually a properly lowered bike (links in rear, front forks moved up through triple tree) and suspention setup for your weight by a pro. (average cost would be 1 hours labor) will handle just as well as stock.
in case one day you decide to use the bike as it were designed you wont have lost as much handling performance as most think.

#14 ·
acually a properly lowered bike (links in rear, front forks moved up through triple tree) and suspention setup for your weight by a pro. (average cost would be 1 hours labor) will handle just as well as stock.
in case one day you decide to use the bike as it were designed you wont have lost as much handling performance as most think.
UH...... are you serious?? For street riding it wont affect to much but for the track you should just give up.

#18 · (Edited)
here is a set of nice links...fully adjustable...high quality....

http://www.soupysperformance.com/catalog/item/4408900/4393129.htm

and yeah you can just lower your front end by sliding the fork tubes up through the triple tree...measure twice and lower one side at a time...and yeah the lowering straps are pretty much for drag strip use only...putting on links and lowering the front forks will work nicely...best of luck on getting it all done...

#19 ·
Oh, one piece of advise I remember from another thread-

Buy a shorter kickstand or modify yours before lowering the bike. If not you won't be able to use the kickstand once you lower it (it will be too long to lean the bike over). Thats about all I've got for you. GL

#21 ·
Like stated above be able to cut the kick stand or get adjustable one when you go to lower the bike. Also there's 4 bolts to loosen the clamps for each fork, give the forks a twist by hand if it doen't slide by just loosening those bolts. CAUTION, If you get links with three holes bunched together use the middle of the three because the lowest setting will make your rear suspension resovoir ride against the swing arm and eventually brake. Mine is on the lowest setting of the three holes because I replaced my rear suspension since I race and ride it on the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngh0ykIxL9Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gGjZn8-fhY

Attachments

#22 ·
i lowered mines....thinkin about raising it back to stock but heres a pic anyway

the rear sits just a tad bit lower couldnt lower the front any more then 3/4 an in. i think. but i did it just to get comfortable with the bike. but after riding for a while now i really think the stock settings were better.

#23 ·
nice bike poofbegone are running just a straight pipe for exhaust? if so hows it sound? i couldnt really tell cause theres so much background noise in your vid... cause if it sounds good thats money in my pocket from not paying $500 for a lame slip on

#28 ·
damn poofbegone..that bike is CANNED i love it

Thats what I want my red one to look like.
Thanks, and if you want YOUR bike lowered a little, alot or none at all that's your prefferance for your own riding conditions and preffered setup so have at it. And as slammed as mine sits I have no problems with speed bumps, sharp inclined driveways/entances or turns.

nice bike poofbegone are running just a straight pipe for exhaust? if so hows it sound? i couldnt really tell cause theres so much background noise in your vid... cause if it sounds good thats money in my pocket from not paying $500 for a lame slip on

Actually, that video was when my bike was stock, so what you here is the stock exhaust launching at 11,000 rpm. I have just installed a full Akrapovic system but I haven't got any track videos for you to hear. Not untill all this rain stops here in Florida. I do run the bike with no muffler as I have experience doing this to other bikes with posative effects on the power band. I have noticed this to be a Akrapovic trate. If you remove the muffler on a stock exhaust you will notice a great loss in power. The exhaust does sound way better with out the muff but it is way to loud for the street. I'm able to race with a straight pipe since the track has no db. level requirements like most all tracks.

#29 ·
I gotta a question. I'm alittle new to bikes. Been riding for a year and a half. Had my 07'zx6r since then also. On the 07' if you lower the front say about an inch, dosent the "clip ons" then sit in the smaller diameter area part of the forks? I tried to lower mine but since the "clip ons" were in this smaller diametered area, the clip ons wont grip the forks even if the clip ons are tightened all the way. Is there a shim or something to go around the forks where the clip ons will now bolt? I know with older bikes the fork tubes were mostly the same diameter all the way down... Thanks for any input anyone... :) Paul

#30 · (Edited)
Wow Hijacked....

I'm not really sure how this happened but can we go back to the question about dropping the bike? Basically, you want to loosen the front forks and drop it 3/4 inch and buy new links and lower it 1 or 2 inches. There are adjustable ones if you're not sure how low...it might feel kinda weird at first but you'll get used to it. Scroll up to the previous post to get directions on lowering the forks... the links are just 2 bolts each, I suggest buying the adjustable ones so you can leave them at stock settings first and then adjust to match. Dealer will charge you about $300 total for adjusting the front forks, installing the lowering links, and cost of links of course as well as cutting and welding your kickstand shorter.

Good luck and enjoy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.