Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My g/f works at the local Kaw dealer and gets one bike per year at dealer cost. I'll be buying a new bike in Feb or March, and I've had my eye on an orange 04 636. They also have a leftover new silver 03 ZX-9R. I've sat on them both, and with my 30" inseam I'm tiptoed on them both. I will immediately lower whatever bike I buy. Looking at the inverted forks on the 636, it looks to me like the triples are mounted on bosses machined into the upper fork tubes, making it impossible to lower the front end the 2" I need. On the other hand, with it's conventional forks, the 9R can be lowered quite easily, both front and rear. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the 636, but I'm thinking the 9R may be better for carrying my girlie (more comfortable for sport touring) and for lowering the required amount for my needs. There's a $1k price difference, which is significant enough to merit attention, but not enough to rule out the 9R if it's a better bike for my needs. Has anybody here lowered a 636, front and rear? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
493 Posts
my bros 636 is lowered about an inch an half - 2 inches in the rear with muzzy lowering links and he dropped the forks through the triple clamp about 3/4 inch i would say. he is only about 5'7" on a good day... and reaches easily now. lower the rear really brings the seat hieght down. you could always shave the seat if lowering wasnt enough. peace

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
My bike also had the lowering links for the rear and the bars were lowered in the front. It's back up to stock height now. If you do lower it, you'll need to cut and re-weld the stand to accommodate. IMO, I preferred the riding position of the 9R vs. the 6R.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, guys! This eliminates the worry that I wouldn't be able to lower the 636 enough for my needs. Now the next decision is whether the 9R would be a better mount for the daily grind and occasional trips to the Dragon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.