Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been covered, i searched but couldnt find any relative topics.... to lower front I just slide fork tubes up right? 4 allen bolts at top and 4 regular bolts mid way down? (2 each side) Also do i need to put something underneath to keep it from sliding all the way down? whats the best way to do this... right now my fork tubes are flush with triple tree....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do you have any stands? It can be done without stands, but they make it a little easier. Remove all the fairings to start out. Put a car jack under the motor on the opposite side of the kickstand, it's there to keep the bike from dropping down too far. It would be best to use a block of wood between the jack and the bike so you don't gouge anything. Loosen all of the pinch bolts holding the fork tubes in the triple clamp, and loosen the bolts holding the clipons to the fork tubes. Once they're loose, the weight of the bike will begin sliding the fork tubes up. Sometimes it goes really fast and the clamps will slide too far, other times you might have to put some weight on the bike to get the front where you want. If you go too far, raise the jack and the tubes will slide back down. Just be careful and measure how far the top of the tubes are out of the clamp. It's possible that one side will slide down more than the other. Try not to go more than 2 inches, or your upper can slam the fender when you go over a big bump at speed. You'll also want to tighten up the preload. You'll now have a fork with almost 5" of travel when it only has room to travel 2.5" or so. If you aren't using stands, it would be best to have a friend stand on the left side of the bike to hold it. The kickstand should be able to support the weight of the bike, but it will look shakey.

·
Registered
399 Posts
why are you lowereing the front anyway,so you can corner faster in the canyon or on a track or just because it looks cool?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The same reason people strap the front when racing in the 1/4..... to help keep her down....not to mention it looks way better now.... I got my tubes 1 1/2 inches out the top now...... Only one problem, the middle pinch clamp hit my lower outer fork tube over bumps.... mind you my seals are bad and have been for a while, could it be forks are loosing thier compression due to oil loss?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Strapping the front end is a lot different from moving the forks in the triples. The straps take away suspension travel, dropping or raising the forks changes the geometry of the front end. My forks sit 6mm above the top triple and I have a 3mm spacer in the rear...all done to make it handle better at the track where it spends two days a month. It is also my daily commuter and has noticeably different handling on the street over the original setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.