Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking of lowering the 636, what do you guys think of me doing this? not really looking to ride the twisties anymore, just thinking of using the bike for the streets/ some twisties/ and daily driving.

whats your views on me lowering the bike a few inches?

·
Registered
27 Posts
do it. my forks were lowered internally and it never bottoms out. even with my 240 ass on it. see pics in the member/pics section.

let the purist flamming begin.

·
Registered
602 Posts
if you were gonna force me to ride it i'd ask you to leave it the way it is, but since that's not gonna happen. i say do what ever you want with it. it's your bike and your money!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I lowered mine 2" and i love it. Before i lowered it the bike always wanted to wheelie in first gear, now its lowered its perfect and never tries to wheelie up even under full throttle in first gear. I think by lowering it and taking some of the movement out of the chasis is why it doesn't wheelie. Works great for me when drag racing.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Shave the seat.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i had mine lowered 2" front and rear. i liked it for riding but kept scrubbing the belly when coming down from a wheeli so i raised it back up.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i have mine lowered 2" maybe even a little more. it's fine for street riding besides the fact that the bottom always scrapes on on speed bumps. it's even worse when my girlfriend rides on the back. I took it to the canyons last weekend and it didn't ride very well at all. i was riding with my girl on the back and even the slightest lean and i would hear a scrape type noise. I'm not sure if it was the bottom fairing scraping against the ground or the rear shock bottoming out. either way, i didn't like it at all. i'm going to have my suspension tuned this weekend, and possibly raising the bike up a bit (or even back to stock) depending on what the suspension guy thinks. so basically, for street riding it's okay, but for the occassional canyon run it will definitely be a disadvantage. and consider if you take passengers a lot. i weigh about 135lbs and it's fine with just me. my girl weighs 100lbs. that's about 240, but i think it's different to have 240lb up front rather than 100lbs directly on the back seat.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, im not going to lower the bike if it scrapes the belly, the custom paint would be all f-d up. so no lowering for me.

how do you lower the front?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If its because of your height, I am 5ft, 3inches tall, which is about 163cm, and had a bit of problems, sheved the seat and its sooooo much better now.

Vince

·
Registered
245 Posts
i'm about 5'3" as well. i shaved the seat before i lowered it. it did really help a lot. i say i shaved off at least an inch from the foam. don't really remember anymore. that being said, i wanted to try lowering it to see how nice it would be to get even closer to the ground since an inch from the shaved seat already did so much. now i'm thinking i don't have to be SO comfortable and might raise it back up a little.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im 5'10" and have no problem with the stock height of the bike, i just like the low look of the bike, i dont need to do it, and more then likley wont do it now, but im thinking that it would look cool to lower the bike with the custom paint job that it has.

·
Registered
245 Posts
if that's the case, then i'd probably leave it stock. if you really like the lowered look, maybe lowering it an inch would be okay. like i said, mine is about 2 inches and when i ride alone the bottom only scrapes on bigger speed bumps. with my girl on the back it scrapes on most speed bumps and on driveways unless i take it at an angle and go over slow. so maybe you would be okay lowering it only 1 inch.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well this weekend I took mine into the shop and had the full suspention tuned for my bodysize and weight. Wow what a diffrent bike altogether! Just the handeling alone was worth the 45 bucks.

Before my rearend would sage more than the front. Now the entire bike sinks about an inch on the level when I get on it. I weigh 210 and Im 6'1 and from what I was told a typical ZX6 is calibrated for a 165-170LBS 5'10 rider.

Im happy with the results and I know this will redude tire wear aswell. And the best thing is it was under 50 bucks! What can you do to yourt bike that costs less than that and get a whole new feel?

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Originally posted by slam150
yeah, im not going to lower the bike if it scrapes the belly, the custom paint would be all f-d up. so no lowering for me.

how do you lower the front?
The easiest way is to put it up on a front stand that hooks into the steering stem yoke rather than on the forks...once the wheel is off the ground and the forks are suspended, loosen the two bolts on the upper triple clamp, on both clip ons, and the bolts on the lower triple clamp (the really beefy looking clamp lower down on the forks), then slide the forks up in the clamps and tighten the bolts, measure both sides to be sure you have perfectly identical amounts of fork sticking up above the upper clamp. Once you're happy, tighten the upper and lower clamps, then line up and tighten your clip ons, good to go.

I wouldn't recommend it, though. I lowered my front 6mm to compensate for a 70 section tire, but I would never actually 'lower' a bike...just IMO.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Originally posted by GingerNinja
Well this weekend I took mine into the shop and had the full suspention tuned for my bodysize and weight. Wow what a diffrent bike altogether! Just the handeling alone was worth the 45 bucks.

Before my rearend would sage more than the front. Now the entire bike sinks about an inch on the level when I get on it. I weigh 210 and Im 6'1 and from what I was told a typical ZX6 is calibrated for a 165-170LBS 5'10 rider.

Im happy with the results and I know this will redude tire wear aswell. And the best thing is it was under 50 bucks! What can you do to yourt bike that costs less than that and get a whole new feel?
Good to know. I'm having it done tomorrow, but it's quite a bit cheaper down here I guess. It's normally $25, but there is a BBQ at a track tomorrow, and for the first X people, it's $15.:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
i wouldnt slide the forks thru the clamps. your bike will still have the full suspension travel with less room to move, therefore bottoming out alot more easily. Have them lowered internally, it is fully reversable, and doesnt bottom out.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Originally posted by signal
i wouldnt slide the forks thru the clamps. your bike will still have the full suspension travel with less room to move, therefore bottoming out alot more easily. Have them lowered internally, it is fully reversable, and doesnt bottom out.
What do they do, clip the fork springs and bleed out some of the fork oil? Seems like that'd be more expensive and involved...wouldn't it be sorta expensive and expansive to reverse, too? Just wondering...I'm not into that at all, so I don't know much about the different ways to do it. I have ridden a lowered bike, though, and I'd never do it to mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.