Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You take off the cover and shave some of the foam or whatever it is off so it sits lower...harder on your arse I'd imagine though. Or tie phonebooks onto your shoes LOL...jk.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm only 5'4" and don't have any trouble. Don't know how short you are but it just takes a while to adapt to not being able to put both feet flat on the ground. Shaving the seat is one way the other is to lower the bike but you will change some of its handling and put to closer to hitting a foot peg in a turn. Do the seat thing or get some boots with big soles.

Old enough to know better...young enough not to care.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm likewise 5'4" and yep, they are tall all right. You get used to it after a while. There is a 10mm spacer between the rear shock and the frame, that gives you a tiny bit of additional height down, but not very much.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here is the deal I am a short mofo and want to lower the seat a little. The dealer told me that there is way to lower the seat without lowering the bike or affecting the handling. Is this true and how do I do that.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Plus if you switch to a lower aspect ratio set of tires, you will lower the bike a bit more.

Lets say your bike has a 120/65-17 front. If you switch to a 120/60-17, you will lower the front end a bit. If the rear is a 180/55-17 and you switch to a 180/50-17, then the rear end lowers a bit as well.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Unreel is right, unless you really know what you are doing don’t change bike geometry. (Or pay a shop you trust to set it up for you) in any case it will handle differently. Same with changing tires to a different size.

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
67 Posts
My wife installed Muzzy lowering links in the rear and I dropped the front forks down 1" and the bike handles about the same as before lowering. I have carved corners with it in lowered form and have had no troubles. I mean, lets face it you aren't gonna race it at a track so don't worry about it not handling at 100% of its capability. If I can run the tire to the edge then it's handling just fine :D

The Muzzy links worked out great for her. just make sure you drop the front forks too. ...and NO the front end DOES NOT bottom out even when doing stoppies or big bumps.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a set of lowering links from muzzy,i installed them but never rode it,i was trying to do something with a tall shock.If anyone wantes them and you live in the US I'll take 50.00 bucks including shipping,i payed 52 shiped thanks Barry :D[email protected]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah I am 5'4'' myself but it is just annoying especially when backing the bike up. The guy at the dealer was telling me that the seat has shims in it or something and to just remove them and it will lower it a little because I was not planning on the lower the bike at all.

2003 Red 636

G

·
0 Posts
Kaos, you might get better results if you take your seat to an upholstery shop since they have all the tools and hardware and can install a new seat cover if you prefer relatively inexpensively.

Just keep in mind if you lower the bike the bike will stand more upright when on the sidestand and can tip over with the slightest wind also true is the handling and stability may be compromised.

"Ride safe since no one will do it for you".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh yea, I almost forgot to say that I had to cut down the sidestand. I cut it myself with a sawsall (first the footpad than taking off an inch of the stand making sure I matched the angle of the footpad). I then brought it to a welder and for $20 he cut it and sprayed it black. Worked awesome :)

Good point CLOSED!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.