• race railz

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I purchased the race rails but haven't installed them yet. Quality seems great and they shipped quickly. I'll pass on my recomendation. :D

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by mustang90
I purchased the race rails but haven't installed them yet. Quality seems great and they shipped quickly. I'll pass on my recomendation. :D
right on. could you take some pics of how the railz mount?
and maybe some close up pics of the railz themselves. lack of detailed pics, is what prompted this poll.
and im leary of the mounting. ive seen way too many sliders fail and wipe out the engine mount. i dont look forward to dropping the motor to change it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Their web page has a few pretty close up pictures. I wont get around to putting mine on till next week probably. I'm gonna make my friend that works at a cycle shop cut my plastic on the left side. That's the one thing I don't trust myself doing. If there is anything else I can do to help ya out, let me know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The rails look really interesting, BUT all I would be interested in is maximum protection. I don't stunt but god forbid it gets knocked over or dropped I want to minimize the damage to it.....I want to trade this thing in 2 years for a S4R S testestratta...

BUT anyway would those rails interfere with where you would really put your legs to ride? I mean I know if they are primarily for stunting a ideal riding position for having fun wouldn't be a concern......

·
Registered
297 Posts
They're not really for stunting, they're designed so that if you bike is dumped at speed the sliders wont rip off (f**king up the engine). They will also provide more protection if the bike is tipped over and you can also replace the mushroom tips if they get scrached up. Seems like a pretty good product, and they said they don't interfere with your legs. I bet if you're backing the bike up you might touch 'em but other than that, they fit real close to the bike and shouldn't get in the way. Oh, and they have cages for stunting if you so desire...

Edit:
I'll post pics and maybe a little review as soon as I get them put on if anyone cares to see/read it. I'm just waiting on my buddy to assist with the plastic cutting. :D

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
I have the LSL sliders on my bike. I love them, and the mount is really solid and beefy, with a much wider and thicker sleeve than the normal sliders by Vortex and whoever else makes the normal hollow cylinder pucks.

A guy I know has the rails, and they do get in the way sometimes when standing still, and when backing up the bike. Plus, they're sort of ugly if the bike isn't the same color as the rails.

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by dragknt
I have the LSL sliders on my bike. I love them, and the mount is really solid and beefy, with a much wider and thicker sleeve than the normal sliders by Vortex and whoever else makes the normal hollow cylinder pucks.

A guy I know has the rails, and they do get in the way sometimes when standing still, and when backing up the bike. Plus, they're sort of ugly if the bike isn't the same color as the rails.
but what about the left side, on the LSL thats a NO-CUT right? has an offset mount? that makes me wonder about strength

and on the railz, where is the rear mount? its really hard to tell by the pics. i can see the front is on the mount, same as sliders. but the rear??

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think the rear mount is easy and open on the left side and on the right side you unscrew the oil cap (cause it's in the way to slip the bar in) take out the trans mount bolt and it fits right in, nice and snug. It's close to the clutch pivot arm, but the bar has a cutout in the mount area to allow it to move fine. Everything fits nice and tight up to the bike.

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by mustang90
I think the rear mount is easy and open on the left side and on the right side you unscrew the oil cap (cause it's in the way to slip the bar in) take out the trans mount bolt and it fits right in, nice and snug. It's close to the clutch pivot arm, but the bar has a cutout in the mount area to allow it to move fine. Everything fits nice and tight up to the bike.
do u think the rt side bar has to be loosend to change the oil? will the filler cap still come off with the bar in place? ive heard that it has to come off. but im not sure on what bikes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I heard thet it comes off fine but you might want to use a funnel to fill it back up. I usually use a funnel anyways so no big deal.

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanks. one more thing. the left side, im assuming that a CUT type of thing. the fairing has to be trimmed back. same as and CUT sliders?
and id really like to see a pic of them, OFF the bike. if thats something your able to do. im very interested on how they mount.
oh and where did you get yours? and how much were they?
thanks again.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Ok i have race railz and have had them for a while now. there was a group buy on them if you look in that thread there are pics and contact info in the group buy section. I actually like the way they look, snd the quality seems good though i havent dropped the bike yet. One drawback is that the back bolt does have to be loosened to get the oil cap off and a funnel is necessary. Thats not a huge deal to me its just an extra step to take. They dont get in my way at all when riding or any other circumstances. that may be because i have short legs though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I plan on buying the race railz soon. I never wnated any type of sliders as I wasn't ever worried about dropping the bike in such a way that sliders would really do much. I hit a patch of oil at work(auto shop) and it'll cost quite a bit to get the bike back to the way it was. Stupid hurts. It's also expensive, and with all the slider horror stories I've heard, I'll try the railz.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Nevada, I have an 03, so you never have to cut the fairing for a slider to mount. The fairing's not in the way. The LSL no-cut system is a lot better than all the others I've seen, though. Their bracket actually forms around the frame tab, so it braces the slider on the whole engine mount rather than just the one small bolt hole.

As for the race rails...I don't know...if I'm going to put bars all over my bike to protect it if it goes down, why not just never ride it? The way I see it is this...wether you have the slider or the rail, your plastics are still going to get scratched, either way. All the rail will do is change WHERE on the plastics they get scraped, because the rail's just one bar, so there has to be another contact patch (unless the bike magically balances on that bar as it slides). So either way you're going to have to replace the fairings to get it back to normal...and both protect the frame...so what's the point of having the huge unsightly bars?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.