Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSL SLIDERS - After Accident report

2K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  psd 
#1 ·
Well it finally happend, I got a little too fast and too furious running with the fellas(140 Mph) and the lead rider cuts off the freeway (Radar detector buzzing like crazy) I was in the far left lane of a 4 lane and had to cut very sharply to hit the exit. Needless to say I was going waay to fast and locked up both tires trying to make the turn. I managed to slow as fast I could but found myself unable to keep in the turn and ended up tagging the curb just off the off of the offramp. The front wheel hit the curb on the left side, vaulted me through the air and I simply fliped and skidded a bit. (Full gear and jeans) All I got was a little road rash on my hip (thank God for gear). The bike fliped up in a semi-stoppy and did a nose plant on the right side mirror, Clip on and LSL slider. By the time of impact I had managed to get my speed down but I have no idea how fast it was. My asshole had a pucker factor of zero and I was holding on for dear life. I was surprised that the damage was not greater, God must have been on my side. The pictures are below of the after effects.

#3 ·
Yeah, where the hell are the pictures? I have LSL's, I want to see how they held up.

[:TTIWWOP]

#7 ·
NICE! I had a feeling they'd work well. Thanks for sharing, man. I'm glad things weren't as bad as they could have been. Get her fixed up and back on the road. =) Anything mechanical, other than the peg snapping? Or is it all scratches and dents?

#9 ·
The Right clip on snapped in half and I had to tide away from the scene with the throttle in my lap. Pretty difficult, but I had to get out to a point where I could rig it to ride home. It started right up and once I got the clip on stable I rode it home (About 5 miles) so far I have not done much, the weather has been bad and have not taken it in to a shop. I think a new front rim and some plastics/pegs and she'll be good as new. I just hope I didn't bend any thing other than the rim.

#11 ·
The only left side damage was a small dent in the tank, I have no idea how that happened and I didn't see it until the next morning when there was sufficient light.

Either I got strong as hell and squeezed my knees together hard in the turn with all the adrenaline pumping. Or some ass tagged it in the parking lot during the night.

#18 ·
Well now that the mean shit has started, I guess I can chime in.

First off, I'm very glad you're okay - I hope everything turns out well, and you get the bike fixed up. The black is way too beautiful to get hurt like that.

BUT, you probably could've made that turn - there's about 1/3 of the tire arc that you haven't even touched. Learn to trust the bike (which will be harder now that this has happened,) and hang that bitch on over. If you would've tried to make the curve instead of locking down in a panic and trying to get out of it, the thing would've probably amazed you and held right on through it. Learn to lean the thing -- if you're going to ride around at 140, try to learn to do the elementary shit like holding corners somewhere near the bike's limits so you don't end up on your ass when everyone else makes the corner. You were riding over your head and that's what you get.

But I'm still glad you're okay, honestly. Just learn to do the basics before you follow folks off a ramp at 140mph, and maybe you'll live to 30.

#20 ·
Originally posted by BrandonM7
Well now that the mean shit has started, I guess I can chime in.

First off, I'm very glad you're okay - I hope everything turns out well, and you get the bike fixed up. The black is way too beautiful to get hurt like that.

BUT, you probably could've made that turn - there's about 1/3 of the tire arc that you haven't even touched. Learn to trust the bike (which will be harder now that this has happened,) and hang that bitch on over. If you would've tried to make the curve instead of locking down in a panic and trying to get out of it, the thing would've probably amazed you and held right on through it. Learn to lean the thing -- if you're going to ride around at 140, try to learn to do the elementary shit like holding corners somewhere near the bike's limits so you don't end up on your ass when everyone else makes the corner. You were riding over your head and that's what you get.

But I'm still glad you're okay, honestly. Just learn to do the basics before you follow folks off a ramp at 140mph, and maybe you'll live to 30.
Thanks Bro, you are right, I should have leaned more into it and if I were a young kid I would have probably done just that. But being an older guy (40) pretending to be a kid again all I could envision was a trip to the hospital and froze. Hell If I had the rim already I'd be right back out there again. I'm not afraid of the bike I love it, I just was unsure of the turn, I had never been on that offramp before and some of our off ramps here are shit.

#21 ·
I just think its fuckin impressive to be still walking with no major injuries and that the bike isn't completely fucked.

Now the question is, will it cost more to fix the bike than the ticket you would have gotten??

And all you ppl saying what a dumbass he is can just jam it, just cause he happened to fuck up going fast doesn't make him stupid or a bad rider.

If you have never ever done anything stupid or gone a billion miles an hour then feel free to chime in and flame, but i seriously doubt anyone can make that claim.

#22 ·
Originally posted by Fix

Thanks Bro, you are right, I should have leaned more into it and if I were a young kid I would have probably done just that. But being an older guy (40) pretending to be a kid again all I could envision was a trip to the hospital and froze. Hell If I had the rim already I'd be right back out there again. I'm not afraid of the bike I love it, I just was unsure of the turn, I had never been on that offramp before and some of our off ramps here are shit.

Well hell, you just made me feel a lot better about you. This forum has honestly been breaking my heart with the 20 year olds throwing their bikes down the road every day or two so I tend to give mean responses like I just did when someone does it. Granted, what I typed is still true, but I actually believe you when you say you know that.

Spend some time in parking lots. Seriously, it'll help a lot in high speed stuff on the street. The guys that do track days and hang their knee to the ground know where the limits are, but normal folks don't. You can find them in a parking lot. Every time I get a new bike (and every few weeks just for the hell of it, actually) I take it to a big parking lot (schools on Sunday afternoons are good because nobody is there,) and I do circles. Step off, check where the wear line is on the tires. Do circles a little faster leaned over a little farther, then check the tire again. Keep going until I'm to the edge of the tire (or very near it.) Then I play around with some dips and side-to-sides while that lean angle is still fresh in my mind. Really get to know the limits. Thus far it has helped me to trust the bikes well beyond what I would want to do. Because these suckers can lean way the hell over. It's rediculous how far they're over and still gripping. If you get a feel for that at low speeds, you'll be much more willing to throw it over in panic situations instead of grabbing brake.

May not work for you, but it has sure worked for me. Good luck getting the 6 back together.

#24 ·
Originally posted by BrandonM7

Spend some time in parking lots. Seriously, it'll help a lot in high speed stuff on the street. The guys that do track days and hang their knee to the ground know where the limits are, but normal folks don't. You can find them in a parking lot. Every time I get a new bike (and every few weeks just for the hell of it, actually) I take it to a big parking lot (schools on Sunday afternoons are good because nobody is there,) and I do circles. Step off, check where the wear line is on the tires. Do circles a little faster leaned over a little farther, then check the tire again. Keep going until I'm to the edge of the tire (or very near it.) Then I play around with some dips and side-to-sides while that lean angle is still fresh in my mind. Really get to know the limits. Thus far it has helped me to trust the bikes well beyond what I would want to do. Because these suckers can lean way the hell over. It's rediculous how far they're over and still gripping. If you get a feel for that at low speeds, you'll be much more willing to throw it over in panic situations instead of grabbing brake.

May not work for you, but it has sure worked for me. Good luck getting the 6 back together.
[:++1]

Before you go taking your bike above 100mph, or at any speed, you should really spend some time learning how to swerve, stop, and change direction in an emergency situation. You gotta use your head man, it will save your life. and it'll really help you avoid things like this. But I'm glad your okay, and the bike looks pretty good for having been airborne. Get that thing back together and stay safe.

#26 ·
As others have said, glad you're all right. It sounds like the school of hard knocks just gave you a glancing blow. As other have said, practise (track day), get to know the limits of your bike (track day) and learn what you can do in an emergency situation (track day).

If you have time, I'd really like to see and hear how the LSL sliders held up. How much did the bracket for the offset bend, did the frame crack or distort where the sliders attached to it, ect. ect.

I hope you're able to get your bike back on the road soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.