Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought LSL superbike low bars and progrip 724 grips from Ninja650shop for my 2007 650r.

• Wider than stock (undecided if I like it, nice when leaning, not at slow speed stuff.... but I'm small in stature)
  • Left hole not drilled exactly right? Maybe? Was too close to end. I shaved the nub off the control instead of redrilling.
  • Apparently "generic" bar ends are too large. Atleast all the ones that the local Cycle gear had were. See below. With no barends, vibrated WAY too much for me. After a week, I'd pretty much gotten accustomed to it, but then got stock barends on and realized how nice they really were.
  • Grips are.... grippy. Nice and comfy, and I don't think they'll get too soft/squishy... as it's already 100deg here.
My bars are rotated all the way back/down till the controls are 1/8in from the tank. height is perfect, might like a little farther forward, but they are comfy, and don't stretch me out too much. Not looking for full on sportbike position, this is a commuter and weekend toy.
No brake line moving needed, no contact with cluster/sheild/tank anywhere.
Swapping bars was easy. No issues. Only trouble was finding "center"... no mark on the bars, and the LSL logo isn't really symetrical.

Bar Ends
Now, stock bars are threaded, aka looks like nuts welded to the ends. LSLs are just hollow, and the opening is slighter smaller than the 3 expandable rubber plug bar-ends I tried at Cycle Gear. The nuts didn't fit in, and don't think the rest of the plug would've either. Most felt lighter than stock, and they didn't cover the last 1/8in of bar like stock (didn't want to see exposed ends, and grips/controls were already installed). Also, I like the plain look of the stock bar ends. FWIW, i was told LSL brand bar ends are 14mm, but I didn't find a size on ANY bar ends I looked at.

After a little thought, and trying some different hoses.... 5/16 pcv rubber hose from the local autoparts store ($1.50/ft) fit perfectly over the stock size bolts and snuggly into the bars. I bought some nuts, which needed the "tips" rounded/ground off (think stripped nut, but I used a dremel) in order to fit inside the bar. Honestly, the aftermarket ones MIGHT have worked if I'd done this, but not sure. My other plan of attack was smaller bolts/nuts... but these worked PERFECTLY. My bars had two different bolts, so I'm not sure what length was stock... you might need to buy longer ones.

I snugged the nut hand tight, then shoved, wiggled, and twisted them all the way into the bars. Maybe a little spit lube ;) Once all the way in, tighten up the bolt. If you start to tighten the bolt before they are all the way in, you'll actually push the bar-end further from off.
Hasn't budged an inch. Same or less vibration than stock bars and ends.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im guessing the ones you brought are the lower ones (on web page says 2inch lower than stock) for $60?

Can you put some pics up of them on, a side-on pic showing how high they sit above the fairing would be great.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the "low" ones.

I'll snap some after pictures asap. I shot a couple of the stock bars to compare (and maybe match the two images on top of eachother). I did measure the stock ones height to the ground..... but now can't remember if I measured to the center of the bar or the bottom :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
cool.

im gagging for some other handlebars other than the stock 'chopper' ones and the sportsbars just cost too much for me to afford, these ones could be perfect.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
For the Bar ends....
  • Nuts are M8 - 1.25
  • Longer bolt is M8 - 1.25 x 40mm (not sure what stock is)
Alright, here's some pictures. I was hoping for angles close enough to lay over eachother in photoshop, but just wasn't quite close enough.

Look familiar?

Mo' Betta'

Stock

LSL Superbike "Low"

The width seems to be exagerated.... not sure if it's the camera angle, the angle of the bars, or what. They are wider, but not THIS MUCH wider. I can't find my tape measure to get a number :(

Here's your money shot.... ruler resting on black interior plastic, at edge of fairing, 5.5in.

Like i said, mine are rotated all the way back. less than 1 finger's space between controls and tank.

It's nice to be able to go full tuck and not have my elbows COMPLETELY folded in. Especially nice at hwy speed corners. Feels like I actually have some arm movement to put into steering.
I do find a little more weight on my bars... which has bothered me once or twice. I just make an effort to not completely slouch.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Nice write up and pics! :mfclap:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great Pics and those grips look great as well, some nice accessorizing.

I think im definately gonna have to get these, 1/3 of the price of the sportsbars and do near enough the same job is a win imo.

One other thing, in your original post you said...
Left hole not drilled exactly right? Maybe? Was too close to end. I shaved the nub off the control instead of redrilling.
what do you mean by this, or will it be obvious when i come to put these on my bike?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK, guess I'll share some of the basic install stuff I found in other theads.

The control boxes have plastic nubs that holds them in place on the bars... this is what they mean by "predrilled"... the holes are there to place the controls and keep them from sliding/twisting. I feel the left hole was drilled in the wrong location, so I shaved off the plastic nub instead of drilling another hole in the bars. It holds tight enough to not move during normal operation.

I placed the throttle side controls first, no issue, left 1/8in of bar showing at the end (which gets covered by the stock bar ends)... so I matched this 1/8in on the left side, which led to the control box hole/nub not aligning.

You can take the left control box completely apart, but i was warned to not take the throttle side apart. Simply loosen the screws till it spreads enough to get the nub out of the drilled hole, then slide it off the bar (wires are short, so actually slide the whole bar... e.g. leave this till last thing to remove from the bars).

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump.

Added bar-end mirrors, SV barend weights, and cut down the LSL bars while I was at it.
I cut a little off the bars, and mounted the bar end mirrors directly to the bars, which slid the grips/controls in a considerable amount... still not as narrow as stock. Doesn't feel like I'm stretching at full lock, but still wide enough for the added comfort while hanging off the bike.

After cutting the bars, I took a file to flatten the ends, and a rat-tail file to round off the insides a bit (I used a pipe cutter from Ace Hardware, nice and straight, but leaves a rough inside edge).

You can see the ends that I cut off resting on the tank, as well as the width of the bar-end mirrors... add those up, and you see how much I moved the controls in. I feel like the controls are about as narrow as you can get, as the lever's clamps are right at the edge of the bar's bend.

I also switched to SV650 bar-ends, which is why i don't have 1/8 of bar showing outside the mirrors. They work great, are a little smaller, and look tons better (umm, yeah, they weren't on yet when I took these pics). One mirror vibrates much more than the other at certain RPMS, so I still need to play with how tight the bar-ends are... they mount very similarly to the DIY method shown above.... except added a washer so the rubber hose wouldn't squeeze out the end of the bar and push the bar-end off.

The mirrors are nice, just don't overtighten, or you'll crack the mounting arm.

Sidenote, the throttle side grip is pretty worn out now. I ALWAYS wear gloves, and the black rubber has started to separate from the red. I rubber cemented it back down once, but it's coming up again. Then again, it's been 18k miles.

Sorry, no close-ups of the mirrors and SV endweights. And yes, my girl also likes the carbon-look end weights that i put on her bike after stealing the stock ones. :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:
I saw a comment in another thread that reminded me of this.

Using just a screw driver alone won't be enough to hold these in place.
The mirror is long, so as it vibrates it tends to want to twist downward. Once i added locktight, and used a wrench on the flat spot of the mounting posts... they've been golden. I can flip, turn, twist them all over and they never come loose.

There IS room in the mounting post to use a longer screw if you'd like, just to give a little more traction so it doesn't back out. Locktight worked fine for me though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts