Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

M5 versus 6R

4K views 84 replies 44 participants last post by  Lumberg 
#1 ·
So my buddy has an 06 M5. He was claiming in lab today that he'd had a few guys on motorcycles try to roll on with him at high speeds and that he'd beaten them. I scoffed at this claim. No way an R1 or 10R or even 12R or Busa for that matter would lose to him. So now we've tentatively set up a race to be held once the weather is sufficiently warm here. A roll on at 80mph up to 150mph. Now I'm rollin on a 98 zx6r with yosh exhaust, jetted carbs, K7N filter, and stock sprockets.

2006 BMW M5
weight (unladen): 4000 lb
weight (laden): 4200lb
power: 500 hp
torque: 383 lb-ft
top speed: 200+ mph

1998 Kawasaki ZX6R
weight (unladen): 450 lb
weight (laden): 650 lb
power: 90 hp
torque 50 lb-ft
top speed: 165 mph

I think initally i will out accelerate him from 80 mph to maybe 130 mph, but then i think he might gain on me as drag force becomes to great.

See less See more
#3 ·
That M5 is going to beat your 600 quickly. Start a roll on from 10mph and your theoretical ending will come true. However, an M5, especially the new 06, will dominate a late 90's 600c sportbike at those speeds. You may have hom for a second, but the next 20 you'll be looking at his backside. :p

#5 ·
ya, i ran some quick number. at high speeds weight of the vehicle becomes unimportant. its basically a sheer battle of drag force versus power of the vehicle. in the end, he has got a monster 500hp to the road and i'm not sure anything less than a liter bike has a chance against that.
oh well, i wanted to determine if i even had a chance ahead of time before i go risking my life over a stupid bet.

#10 ·
I'm a BMW tech, I've driven the E60 M5 - it's fast(for a car), but doesn't have anything for my '05 6R. Don't know how fast your bike is, never ridden a 98, but I imagine it would come down to how you race. You should be able to smoke him up to 140-150 before aerodynamics take over. BTW, they are electronically limited to 155 from the factory, but are suppossedly capable of 200mph with the limiter removed.

#11 ·
I think you standa chance. THe difference between the 98 and an 06 600cc are not all that much different. THey post up pretty similar times. Yes the 06's is a little bit faster but its all about the rider. I say you stand a chance, and it would be a good race.

#12 ·
Well i don't thik it is really all in the balls of the rider, but perhaps a little bit is.
As far as skill goes, i'm just a regular joe, and the driver is a world class rally racer in a wrx. So i'm on the down side there.
I don't know, I'm going to go for a drive in the M5 with my two friends later this week, take it up to high speeds and see how it is. Then once the weather gets nice I'll see how it seems on my 6r. I wonder if i can get a relatively cheap computer that can be programmed to record time like 80 to 150 if you preset it?

#13 ·
I bet on the Bimmer, but it will be fun either way!! I live in Italy and have raced a few Porsche Turbos and an Aston Vantage. I'm right with them (or slightly ahead) until i'm reading 165 and they're still pulling hard as hell!!! Your buddies M5 is limited so that's good for you!! Try to get him to do some 30mph roll ons, you might have a better chance. You'll still have fun either way, trust me!!

#14 ·
Originally posted by burtonsbs5114
I think you standa chance. THe difference between the 98 and an 06 600cc are not all that much different. THey post up pretty similar times. Yes the 06's is a little bit faster but its all about the rider. I say you stand a chance, and it would be a good race.

Sorry man, but there is a pretty significant difference between a 98' and an 06'. Even if you are comparing the 98' to the current 6RR you're still looking at around 20 bhp difference. Compared to the 636 its closer to 30! Not to mention things like a sizeable weight difference and aerodynamics....

Awww hell might as well go all out...to the original poster a 98' would not make it over the mid 150's without MAJOR mods.
And considering a 06 Z06 and 06 Viper won't hit 200 I highly doubt a M5 will. Below are the specs of the M5 and the Benz E55 AMG. the Benz is the one on the right.

0-60 mph, sec 4.5 (est) 4.2
0-100 mph 10.0 (est) 9.7
1/4 mile, sec @ mph 12.6 @ 115 (est) 12.4 @ 116.2

and here's the corvette's
0-60 mph 3.5 sec
Quarter Mile 11.5 sec @ 127.1 mph

#17 ·
At those speeds the bimmer will win, that car is a ball tearer,

Do 2 runs one from 10mph and the other from 50, the end result should be one run a piece, from a stand still though you're gonna have to master your take-offs. (not a bad thing to do)

#20 ·
i raced a mercedes e55 amg on the freeway from a high speed roll.(no one was around) i had him by about two bike lengths, but couldnt put anymore distance, he just stuck right there. e55's have 460 hp versus the m5's 500. I am not sure of the weight difference though. I think you will probably be even or you will lose.

#22 ·
Let me give you some insight onmy thought, I have a 01 Firebird Formula that has some minor bolt ons, owned a 636 and currently own a 10R and I ahve raced a 05 636.

My car only makes 350rwhp, when I raced the 636 we went from a roll at about 55/60 mph and once I hit third I started to pull on him until we both let out.

The 98 6r is going to be lucky if it has 95rwhp, the 05 has 105rwhp, that is alot in bike terms. I think the M5 is going to kill the 98 6r and would prob kill a 05 636. If the M5 really does have a over 180 top speed then even my 10R would a prob on a top speed run as I would get to my top speed faster but with the M5 having a higher top speed he would catch me and pass me.

Just my thoughts.

#23 ·
Originally posted by Lumberg

Sorry man, but there is a pretty significant difference between a 98' and an 06'. Even if you are comparing the 98' to the current 6RR you're still looking at around 20 bhp difference. Compared to the 636 its closer to 30! Not to mention things like a sizeable weight difference and aerodynamics....
I beg to differ. The 98 6r puts out about 95bhp while the 04'6rr(i know its not a '06 but the #'s will be very similar) puts out 103bph. Like i said the 06 will be a little bit faster but the rider will easily make up the difference, as its not that much.

http://sportrider.com/bikes/146_Weights_Measurements/

#24 ·
good luck bro, be careful!!! (i wouldnt even try him in my 05 636& i have a pcIII, akra exhaust, and a K&N! Now my 05 10r, thats a diff story!!! I have a pcIII, Leo Vince high mount, and a K&N, all i need to do is have it dyno tuned and ill be set!)

#25 ·
Originally posted by burtonsbs5114

I beg to differ. The 98 6r puts out about 95bhp while the 04'6rr(i know its not a '06 but the #'s will be very similar) puts out 103bph. Like i said the 06 will be a little bit faster but the rider will easily make up the difference, as its not that much.

http://sportrider.com/bikes/146_Weights_Measurements/
Still that's a 8 hp diference. That's a big jump if you ask me.

#26 ·
Originally posted by nick041881
i raced a mercedes e55 amg on the freeway from a high speed roll.(no one was around) i had him by about two bike lengths, but couldnt put anymore distance, he just stuck right there. e55's have 460 hp versus the m5's 500. I am not sure of the weight difference though. I think you will probably be even or you will lose.
uh... look at the torque tho...
merc 516
bmw 383

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.