Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had posted this up on www.ninja250.com--- They usually aren't bad, but one of their mods was a little whore and "locked" my post--- He must of thought that it was not a good informative piece or some B.S.---
Now that my small rant is over.. I will re-post here... In hope that someone will either help, or tell me about their similiar problem..

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic.php?t=47050&highlight=major+power+loss
-------------------------------------------------------
Before getting flamed and told to use the search, I will just put the disclaimer that yes I indeed searched multiple times using many combinations. To say the least I couldn't find any posts which were exactly alike my problem. With that said let me continue-

First off I plan on fixing my bike up tomorrow as it has been delayed for far to long (several days). The bikes current state is pretty much blah--- I can't ride it!
I've got about 9,000 miles on it, and it has yet to see a valve job! Now I got the bike with about 3,400 miles on it, and I'm guessing it has yet to see one! My bike is a 93 just to let ya know.

Well the problem is basically a major loss of power. I was riding home from my girlfriends place which is roughly 40 miles away and 30 miles which is highway driving. The bike has always ran perfectly fine with a nice smooth power-band. I was doing some pretty aggressive highway driving at 2 A.M. trying to top out the lil 250! I went as fast as it could go in sixth for a good 30 minutes, and then got off as I was nearly out of fuel! I filled up at a shell station with mid-grade gas. Then got back on the road.. As soon as i reached 50 the bike bogged down considerably. I got home safe that night, and didn't think too much of it.. Made the same trip the next day and on my way there had some problems (became worried). On the way back the bike bogged down SO much that I could not get past 50 MPH. It took some forceful riding to go fast. I rode it like this for 30 miles.. It would actually slow down past 4th gear. And would only ride up to about 50 MPH in 4th at perhaps around 7K? Don't quote me on the RPMs. So I got home safely and so far I've checked--

Oil- Problem here- I put in 10w-30 energy conserving, I accidentally used my car's oil with my motorcycle oil (damn same brands, and containers) - However the bike ran fine on 10w-30 for maybe 120 miles? I performed another full oil change a few days ago- And put in 10w-40 and cleaned/reused filter.

Air filter- Clear, cleaned, no restrictions and pretty full suction here-

Hoses- None really are pinched, I only half-assed checked to see if they are clogged.

Spark plugs- Perfectly fine, should be changed- Proper gap, no distortion, and clean as a whistle

Gas- Seems to be the problem, but could it be soo bad that it would bog me down like I described? I topped off again with premium for shits and giggles.

Valve Job- ? Have yet to perform, it ran very fine, and then quickly stopped performing, perhaps something is truly wrong here?

Carbs- Will clean tonight-

Petcock- (brand new for the season, I highly doubt its bad, and I ran in both reserve and normal---
I think I hit all the areas- Let me know if I missed any---

Well I know I have work to do, I'm just curious with the history of my maintenance if I could have some serious engine damage? I feel awful about my bad oil job, but we all make mistakes.. I just grabbed the wrong 5 liter container of oil-
So help me out and tell me if you've had this bad of performance, and what you had to do to fix it!

One more thing, the bike sounds fine when idling, which lead me to believe its a fuel related problems undoubtedly. Perhaps I'm just not getting enough fuel flow at high end!

Sorry it's soo damn long, thanks for reading and thanks in advance for all your help!

-Paul

------------------------------------------------------------

Since then I did a valve job, only to find that two valves were off by .001 one was +.001 and the other negative... Both on the intake, same side... Well I set it back to the proper setting, and she still runs like a hog after happy-hour! I'm going to replace my apparently good sparking spark plugs with some brand new ones.. And I'm also going to flush out the gas and try some new stuff-- I'm also going to check the carbs.. Although I ride the bike often, and had just cleaned them mid-summer.. What else could I do, or miss? Ohh and BTW I plan on doing a carb sync job--- Well thanks for reading this-- Sorry it's soo long..

·
Registered
126 Posts
shell gas sucks ass, if it were any other brand i wouldn't suspect it. definitely flush your fuel system with some top tier gas (like 76 or chevron) and toss in some carb/fuel injection cleaner while your at it. i would also run a compression check to make sure you didn't damage any of the valve train when you were running topped out.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
go to the auto parts store and buy this stuff called sea foam. its heavy duty fuel system cleaner. it works wonders. just pull a vacuum line and sick it in the can, rev the bike up so it sucks the stuff into the carbs, then shut the bike off so the seam foam can work its magic. be warned though, its going to smoke like crazy for a few minutes so do it outside.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments, well I don't have a compression gauge, so I can't really tell if theres good compression, but I'm going to say it is... After all my problem happened right after filling up from reserve to full.. Well today I decided to do things the hard way, and I ripped out the carbs... I drained the fuel into a glass container... Well I let it settle... And holy fuck---- pardon my language.. but I was amazed at how much water had seperated from the gas... It was an insane ammount... I could take a picture if you want.. But I'll just say it was a good 1/10th... Now I don't know if this is cause it gets stuck down in the carbs or something... But that is a lot of water.... I'm going to clean the carbs, and just start with some fresh gas, and purge the system of that shitty shell gas. So hopefully tomorrow morning my baby will be purring in no time!!!

Well with that much water, I suppose the bike really wouldn't run well... It runs soo bad though, that I just hope this isn't the only problem... Thanks though for the comments.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
well its good that you found the problem, but you should tell the gas station or the epa about the gas station. if there is water getting in their tanks they could be leaking fuel into the ground. regardless you should still run some sea foam, it dries out fuel systems.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I completely drained the fuel system, and put a new gallon of fuel in there, and now it runs like a champ!! I wrote more up on it on the ninja250.com website.. Grr, maybe that's what running on one cylinder is like! Well too scary to not have any power---... Thanks for the help- Maybe I'll just buy the seafoam for next time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.