Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I took my bike out for a ride this morning, and everything was fine. I get gas then head out on the highway. It didn't sound right, but i just thought it was me or something. There is lag in the throttle, and by the time i get 50 miles away from my house it's getting worse. I pull over to see what's wrong, but can't find anything. I go to pull away and it feels like i'm in 6th gear. i have to ride the clutch out and it's very choppy and running very rough. i barely made it home. I have it narrowed down to either the clutch, or maybe a blown gasket or plug, but i don't see any oil coming from the head or the motor so i dont think its the gasket. please help

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't think it is the clutch. Not a lot to go by. You need to start diagnosing. Pull the plugs and have a look. While they are out you can do a compression check. While you are doing that have a look round. Look for disconnected vacuum lines. Have you replaced you fuel filter lately?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Whats the ambient temperature ?, Could it be Carb Icing?

Have you started it since you got home, how did it run ?

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it doesn't seem to be doing the clutch thing now, but it still idles rough. before it seemed like it had absolutely no power at all. it's about 50 degrees outside, so i dont think it's carb icing. i can't figure this thing out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would start with the plugs and fuel system. Open her up and check out the plugs. Tell us how that goes.
If you are not planning on taking her to the dealer, it's good to have a service manual for your bike.

P.S. swjohnsey is right 100%, but diagnostics can get complicated (special tools not everyone has in the garage).

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
119 Posts
so you say it was running perfectly normal until you got gas and then headed out?? Did anything out of the ordinary happen while you were at the gas station? I don't know what could have happened to cause those symptoms, but seems kinda strange that it started right after getting gas. Just an idea...

'03 blue zx-6r
www.harbordive.com/josh/zx6r.htm ('03 pics coming soon)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, you're right, ninjaRider. What you will need to do is get a new fuel filter, drain out the gas tank, change your spark plugs and since there is going to be bad gas in the fuel line rev the trottle to release all the junk out...i know b/c it happened to me and it wasn't a pretty job to do. It sure beat going to the dealership and paying their assess $350. Question, when you rev it does it sputter and doesn't rev up to high, but shuts off and can only rev it to 5rpm and then down.????[?]

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Check the air hoses coming from the front of the bike, I had the same problem and it turned out it was just the air hose had come loose. Make sure they are all tight, including the Y type one in front of the forks to make sure. If not then look into the fuel filter, it may be something as simple as what I had.

Ken - Yellow '02

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i first noticed something was wrong when i was riding down the highway in 6th gear. i would be holding the throttle in the same position, keeping the speed right at 85, and after a minute or two it would feel like i had let off the throtle a little, and i would be slowing down even though my hand was still in the same position. i didn't really notice it at first, but after 20 minutes it got bad so i decided to pull over. i revved it a few times at idle and everything sounded fine. then i go to pull away, and it has absolutely no power at all. it barely gets itself moving. i have to keep revving it at the few stoplights i actually stopped at to keep it from dying.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I know a guy who had a similar situation, started looseing power after gasing up. Turns out he diluted his gas with diesel by accident.

Step 1-Twist handle
Step 2-Hold on!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it seems to be fine now. it's running a little rough, but there are no more problems with the clutch/power. very odd. i'm still looking into that Y hose and replacing the plugs anyway. thanks for the help[^]

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by luminescient

I know a guy who had a similar situation, started looseing power after gasing up. Turns out he diluted his gas with diesel by accident.

Step 1-Twist handle
Step 2-Hold on!
Haha damn...yeah I wouldn't recommend putting diesel in unleaded gasoline engine.

Phil
1998 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja
Let the good times roll!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.