Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm deciding whether I should get an sv650s or a Ninja 650r as my next bike. I'm wanting a sporty riding position (the closer to that of the 600's the better). I know the SV is a sportier position stock, but is it fairly simple to convert the 650r to a more bent over position? Is there anything I can do besides lower handlebars? And how much would it cost?

Thanks

· Registered
48 Posts
Aside from the sport bars? Hmm.. I'm not too sure about what ELSE you could do. Maybe you could find a peg highering kit? Because the 650R isn't a super sport, the pegs sit lower than super sports. To get a sportier feel to it, you could replace the pegs to a higher position than stock.

· Registered
48 Posts
Sportier bars will be a step in the right direction. It's pretty discretionary.

But to be honest, if you're not looking to really mod a bike that much.. just pick up the SV. I've driven both and the SV does have a sportier feel. They're practically the same bike performance wise.

· Registered
5,288 Posts
If you want the riding position of a 600 ss, why not just buy one? Likewise if it's the look of the ss bike that you want.

I can see the point of going fo that riding position on the naked 6n for a traditional cafe racer look - use clip ones if you do - but not on the faired bike unless it's for improved comfort.

I'd suggest riding the bike stock for while, then decide how much you can drop the riding position and still be comfortable. Clip ons aren't a good idea with the faired bike. Fitted properly they foul the fairing, and fitted, as some riders fit them, above the top fork yolk they look silly and may comromise the steering geometry more than you're comfortable with. Sports bars are OK and there are rearset options.

Rob

Rob

· Registered
219 Posts
My brother owns a 2007 SV650, after riding my ER-6N, he want's the 650 Ninja. The ride is so much better. Just about every thing. He was sold.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want the riding position of a 600 ss, why not just buy one? Likewise if it's the look of the ss bike that you want.

I can see the point of going fo that riding position on the naked 6n for a traditional cafe racer look - use clip ones if you do - but not on the faired bike unless it's for improved comfort.

I'd suggest riding the bike stock for while, then decide how much you can drop the riding position and still be comfortable. Clip ons aren't a good idea with the faired bike. Fitted properly they foul the fairing, and fitted, as some riders fit them, above the top fork yolk they look silly and may comromise the steering geometry more than you're comfortable with. Sports bars are OK and there are rearset options.

Rob

Rob
Because a 600 costs more and costs more to insure. I don't want to spend more than $3000 on a bike. For that price, it would be very hard for me to find a fuel injected 600 in good condition with low enough miles.

· Registered
9 Posts
You can find all kinds of trashed (internal and out) 600's for cheap, tons of people get them and die or almost die and get rid of them. Just find an insurer that does rates based off CC. Yer just gonna get liability anyway in this price range. A 650 + mods is prolly gonna be more than a stock 600, and the 600 will have more power, better handling and braking.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can find all kinds of trashed (internal and out) 600's for cheap, tons of people get them and die or almost die and get rid of them. Just find an insurer that does rates based off CC. Yer just gonna get liability anyway in this price range. A 650 + mods is prolly gonna be more than a stock 600, and the 600 will have more power, better handling and braking.
Why would I want a trashed 600?? And no, I'm not getting liability. I always get full coverage on my vehicles... Yes I realize the 600 has more overall performance, but it's not all about performance is it?

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But if it's not about performance you don't really need a performance oriented riding position.

Like I said, get the bike, ride it a bit stock, then decide what you really want for the riding position.

Rob
I said it's not ALL about performance. I happen to think that this upright of a riding position on a sportbike looks ridiculous.

I do think your advice is a good idea however.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
get the sv, it will be easier to mod into the bike your looking for. the rearsets (footpegs) on the ninja are unlike any other bike out there, and therefore harder to find replacements etc. same with the bars, they aren't clip-ons and you'll be searching for sportier sport bars eventually (because even the ninja 650r sport bars are still raised and not real clip-ons)

im not bashing the 650r at all, the whole reason i bought mine was to NOT have the sporty riding position, i like the more comfortable position, hence my next purchase was a FZ6...

· Registered
360 Posts
So I'm deciding whether I should get an sv650s or a Ninja 650r as my next bike. I'm wanting a sporty riding position (the closer to that of the 600's the better). I know the SV is a sportier position stock, but is it fairly simple to convert the 650r to a more bent over position? Is there anything I can do besides lower handlebars? And how much would it cost?

Thanks
The SV would probably be a better choice off the bat then. It also has more torque, HP, and arguably nicer torque curve. I went with the 650R because I believe it's smaller and I think the look of the SV is a little dated.

· Registered
185 Posts
There are several comparisons, doing a google search, but most of them are about 2006 models. Suzuki site shows sv650's available as 07 and 08's, the gladius as an 09 model.
The latest model of the sport bars v3, drops the handlebars 3". You may want to sit on a 650r and position your hands down the 3" from stock position and see if it feels right to you. The ninja650shop site has pics of the bars installed with a rider on the bike, that may help too. tomp

· Registered
28 Posts
am awaiting my sports bars for my 650R. Will let you know., My son rides a SV650 and he is putting bar risers on his bike!! Both are good rides but the present 650R has really good midrange torque and really takes off when twisting the throttle anywhere over 3000 rpm. Just love it. Have already put an Arrow pipe and does it sound awesome...
cheers

· Registered
2,769 Posts
I said it's not ALL about performance. I happen to think that this upright of a riding position on a sportbike looks ridiculous.
You like the ergonomics of SUPERSPORTS, and the ninja 650r is classified as a Sport-touring motorcycle.
it is basically a touring motorcycle, and since it has fairings it is marketed as "sport"
the 650r /er6n is comparable to any other "standard" motorcycle (standard meaning a class of bikes, such as, supersports, cruisers, dual sports, choppers, standards/nakeds, etc...

i'd only wanna be hunched over for so long on the street, now at the track i wouldn't mind b/c you can go fast as hell if you want to.

the ninja 650r is set up so you can ride it all day on the roads if you want w/o little to no fatigue at the end of your ride.
Tony BBC set his ninja up for track riding, and it looks fun

· Registered
37 Posts
Sports bars are great...they make your bike look sportier without all the aches and pains after a long ride...my friend has the sv650 and he prefers to ride my bike as he says it feels more stable when cornering and it doesn't hurt his wrists or back as much.

· Registered
13 Posts
The SV would probably be a better choice off the bat then. It also has more torque, HP, and arguably nicer torque curve. I went with the 650R because I believe it's smaller and I think the look of the SV is a little dated.
The performance difference between the two bikes is small. I just smoked an SV last night, just because she had a worn out /slippery rear tire and as for myself I had full confidence in my bike.

I say sit on both models and pick the one you feel more comfortable with. After all, its you hard earned cash, and you really can`t go wrong with either.

Sport bars make the bike look nicer and put you out of the wind, have a mechanic install them on your bike if you are not mechanically inclined.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.