Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

making track fairings street legal?

23K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  chuckbear 
#1 ·
I picked up track fairings on my bike to use at the track that I plan on keeping on there for a while, but every now and then wanna ride with friends on Sunday mornings and what not. I can get the rear plate on there with ease with the bracket i still have as well as the rear turn signals. What should I do in regards to a brake light and headlights? Some guy I know if I remember correctly retrofitted a foglight that was insanely bright as his source of light up in the front and hooked up and LED brake light in the rear. Anyone ever done this or know how to go about doing it?

#2 ·
Well what bike do you have???? You can fit a fog light on the front ( thats what I did works great.) I used a tail light off a 07 zx6r for the tail. I have no turn signals I just use my hands.

#3 ·
Woops, don't know why I forgot to even include what bike I have lol. It's an 04 ZX6R. I figured fog light would be the best method, how do the connectors look like at the end of the fog light? I've never seen one up close in person, but I'm guessing it won't be plug and play to the oem connections right?

#5 ·
I run my racebike 05 zx6r on track and street.
-Headlight is a driving light. I mounted the bracket in the ram air hole and just remove the actual light from the mount and unplug it for the track. 2 bolts and 2 wires.
-For the tail piece I have the license plate hanger that bolts to my exhaust with 4 bolts. I fixed a brake light and turn signals on the piece so that the plate, turn signals and brake light all go on and off with 3 sets of wires and 4 bolts.
-I have no front mounted turn signals.

#9 · (Edited)
I did it on my bike and love it... takes only a few minutes to go from street bike to track bike.

Don't use fog lights they suck for light I used driving lights pointing one up further than the other and get reasonable light out of them. I want to switch to a good set of real projector low/high beams like these but not right now.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/50mm_modules.asp

Here's some old cellphone pics of mine when I first did it 3 years ago. I really should get some updated pics with a better look at how I did things

The front and rear signals - Standard flush mounts
Mirrors - stocks
License plate bracket - VFX kits ZX bracket with LED plate lights http://www.vfxkits.com
Taillight - Stock
Front Headlights - Projector driving lights and I cut a plate of plastic and then mounted the driving lights to the plate. Put 4 holes in the plate and then rubber dampers between the hole and the fairing bellow the lights to mount everything to the bike. Everything is made to slide out without removing the fairing.
Beauty covers - With head lights and signals it looks like a$$ in the fairing so molded some black plastic to create beauty covers I use when it's in street gear. They are held in place by the front flush mounts.

I'll get some updated pics

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.