Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you get a manual cam chain tensioner? Is the one Kawasaki sells decent? Also, how often do you have to adjust it once it is installed.. this is for an 2003 636.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
APR makes the manual cam chain tensioner and overaul Ive run mine on my bike for last 10k and havent had to adjust it yet. I might give it a little snug over the winter just to be on the safe side but other then that its fine.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Originally posted by southjersey636
APR makes the manual cam chain tensioner and overaul Ive run mine on my bike for last 10k and havent had to adjust it yet. I might give it a little snug over the winter just to be on the safe side but other then that its fine.
i have one in mine. its a ape not apr. you can get it from www.zxzone.com.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hmmmmm? Wellll? I don't know. Mine since new can have some aweful racket going on in the engine, but it's a Kaw, and I guess they are built for noise. I thought I needed one but it has a different racket than my F4i that did need one. Now my 636 seems to be running quiter.....go figure. If ya got the $$ and time, go do it, but otherwise, spend the $$ on something else.:D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I went with the Kawasaki kit tensioner:

I adjust it maybe once every 2000 miles and NO more cam chain noise!

·
Registered
670 Posts
mine made a little noise too. when i installed it all the noise went away. i wish the kit part was out when i got mine. that looks nice.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I'm not too sure about how to make adjustments either, but I'd love to have one to rid myself of the noise.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
so the verdict is that everyone who has this has had positive results????

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yep. Adjusting is VERY easy. I have developed a method so that I dont even have to lift up the gas tank.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Originally posted by tweakmon
Yep. Adjusting is VERY easy. I have developed a method so that I dont even have to lift up the gas tank.
alright, when I get mine, i'll be needin that advice.... Now does the tensioner void the warranty or give you any problems dealer-wise since it states it's for racing use only?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems. Actually, the dealer installed mine for me while doing the valve adjustment.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i've got the ape on mine. been on for about 10,000 miles. prolly check adjustment this winter. my engine was noisy as hell, put the ape on and no noise since. i have always highly recommended a manual cct. peeps will tell you quickly that the kawi engine noise is normal, but do you think a rattling cct and cam chain is good? they come with instructions on how to install them. do it, you'll be glad u did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.