Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I'm exhausted from searching for this question. I've only found one person who said that it doesn't matter. I would like to hear more opinions on whether or not you can have different front and back tires.

I got a nail in my back tire and I want to replace it with a Metzeler M1. Can I or should I keep the stock Dunlop up front? It has 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You dont HAVE to have matching tires. i remember hearing guy susing a certain tire combl like 10's and 20's. you should be able to mix and match for the most part.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
For street riding, you're not going to notice a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. that makes me feel better. I will be out of commission for about a week or two until it arrives. I'm not taking the chance with a patch. That nail looks mean.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
try a mushroom patch and burn that tire out.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by arturo3rd

try a mushroom patch and burn that tire out.
Sounds like a good idea. Can this be done at any regular tire shop?

I already bought my M1 so if there's anyone out there that has anything to say about it being a bad desicion to get unmatching front and back......Shut up! I aint wanna hear it;)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
yes, I dont think you have to match tires, but it might effect handling alittle. but on the street I dont think it's that big of a deal...

heck I'm going to be running 010/020 and they dont match....

·
Registered
298 Posts
yberdos,

Yep, just like everyone already mentioned. Just make sure that both tires (even though different brands) are rated the same in terms of stickiness/durability/etc. The last thing you want is one tire which warms up quickly and becomes sticky while the other tire takes longer to warm up and doesn't offer the same amount of grip. Could make for an interesting ride. [8D]

You might find this thread useful (even though different brand tires are discussed) /forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6088&SearchTerms=bt,010

inca jones

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Yeah gotta go with Inca here too... as long as the tires are SIMILAR it should all be good... but some tires grip better in cold / hot / wet or have different warmup characteristics, so while you might not need the EXACT same tire, at least try to stick with SIMILAR types for 100% confidence. Nothing worse than the feeling of trusting only ONE of your two ends...

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is from the book, not sure if it was in owner's manual or the service manual, but Kawi does not recommend using tires from different manufacturers (not size/type). I think it may have something to do with how fast they warm up, and the fact that different manufacturers / same rating tires are not necessarily the same. I myself just put on new M-1 on the back, sweet tire, got about an inch on each side worth of strips, but it only has over 90 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you leave the stock 207 on the front?

I think Kawi just wants ou to buy the combo so they can have a clear conscience.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Make sure one of your buddies takes pics when you burn up the old tire. It makes for a great addition to your scrapbook!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Personally I would not mix N match. I would consider it maybe if they were similar tires, and made by the same company (like thw 010/020 combo). There's no way I would mix 2 diff brands. Maybe if all you ever do is commute with it, but since it's a sport bike, I doubt that's the case.

Put it this way...Would you put 4 diff tires on your car?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Grunt... I got a tire shootout you'll be interested in from Bike Magazine, which picked the Michelin Pilot Sports 1st, the 208's second, the BT 012's third, the Metz's fourth, the Pirelli's fifth, and the Avon Azaro's last...

Seems you aren't the only one thinking they rock...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by cyberdos

wow...the metz 4th huh? :-(
In the road tire test, the unchanged Metzeler Sportec M-1 was rated fourth this year and second last year. The unchanged Michelin Pilot Sport rated first this year and fifth last year, when it finished behind tires that have been made better this year.

Rider preference makes it a bit clear. The road test was performed by a different rider last year. You can check out those results in this article.

In the track tire test, the Metzeler Rennsport was again rated first by the same rider that tested last year. You can see those results in this article.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.