Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im interested in knowing what the max HP is for the 2010 250r.

I see a lot of dyno's for 2008's and i dont see anything above 27-28HP.

I saw a spec for 2010, and it claims 32hp and a top speed of 115. I really dont think this is possible.

Im trying to get a feel for what the top speed would be with a 200lb+ rider.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
The 250's aren't hindered top-speed wise because of gearing. From the factory the 250's will normally hit a corrected speed of around 100mph although they are in stock trim and sprocketting they are capable to go 105 (IIRC). Throw a 200+ lb rider on there and they might get up to 95mph even though they still have a good 2,000 RPM until red line. Hell with a pretty modified '08+ 250r and 15/41 sprockets the top speed capability increases to 120mph, but 102-105mph is the max you're going to get out of it normally :p ... (less with a heavy rider).

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Changing sprockets is more likely to make he bike slower rather than faster, as it doesn't have the power to pull the higher gearing.

100 mph is about the practical limit if you ignore the optimistic speedo and this needs about 30 bhp at the wheel. Rider weight doesn't make a lot of difference, although it does to acceleration, because for speed load comes from the aerodynamics. Fairing and screen shape and how well the rider can tuck are what matters. It is true though, that a 200lb rider tends to stick out in the airflow more than a 100lb rider.

Peak power is some way below the red line - probably about 1,000 - 1,500 rpm, so the bike should be geared for its theoretical top speed at those revs. Then a little downhill or tail wind will let it pull a few more revs when conditions are good.

I suspect that true top speed as measured by the average of two runs over a measured mile in opposite directions will be no more than about 95 mph. A 'spot' speed through a radar or laser detector will be a bit higher.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Completely stock except for my 2bros exhaust, i can hit ~95 mph, i'm 160 lbs and can tuck well.
The speedometer is not 100% accurate once you go over ~60 mph. It is skewed to show a faster speed. So if your speedometer shows 100 mph, you can bet you're actually going 95 mph +/- 3 mph.

Don't be ashamed that your bike will only go 95-100 mph, where the hell do you need to go at 160 mph? We still get 50 mpg and look good doing it. Don't listen to all those punk ass GSXR 600 tool bags who shun the 250 guys. GSXR's are cheap so kids buy them, they constantly have recalled parts, and break down a lot. Rusty tin can on 2 wheels

·
Registered
239 Posts
I love my 2010 250r. I couldn't be happier, and for riding on the roads and highways it is more than enough for that. People that get bigger bikes just want to know they have the power so their dicks seem bigger. No one is going to get even close to the full potential of the bike @ a 600r unless you're at the track. So yeah, I am very comfortable with my 250 and I can still whip around and have fun while also enjoying riding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love my 2010 250r. I couldn't be happier, and for riding on the roads and highways it is more than enough for that. People that get bigger bikes just want to know they have the power so their dicks seem bigger. No one is going to get even close to the full potential of the bike @ a 600r unless you're at the track. So yeah, I am very comfortable with my 250 and I can still whip around and have fun while also enjoying riding.
↑ +1 totally agree with that.

I've modified my 09' Ninja in the intake, exhaust, plugs, coils, etc..
Sprockets I'm using : 15-41, my weight : 165lbs.
I dynoed it and threw 32.3 HP to the wheel. I can reach 111 MPH per the speedo easily in almost all conditions (hell I've reached 105 in the speedo with my girlfriend (121lbs) in my back).
My best top speed reading by GPS : 110.60 MPH after a full accell run after 3 minutes. The speedo was reading +115 MPH so, we can say there's a 5% to 10% speedo error.
Bottom line:
Not mechanically modified bike with +/- 30HP at rear wheel : Can pull a higher final gearing, therefore you win a little top speed (real 110 MPH) and more relaxed cruising speed ( 80 - 90 MPH).

·
Registered
317 Posts
For a beginner rider like my self even 60mph seems pretty fast on the bike. I am slowly getting a good feel for the bike and got it up to 80mph the other day and felt really comfortable doing it. Only issue i have with 250r is that at 60mph bikes rpms are around 6500-7000rpm and that makes bike roar alot once im at 80mph it rpms at around 8-8.5k which is even louder and makes me feel that something is about to break...
How safe is it to have it at 8k-9k rpms on the freeway? What is considered "pushing the bike"? Is 7k RPM normal for 60mph?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only issue i have with 250r is that at 60mph bikes rpms are around 6500-7000rpm and that makes bike roar alot once im at 80mph it rpms at around 8-8.5k which is even louder and makes me feel that something is about to break...
How safe is it to have it at 8k-9k rpms on the freeway? What is considered "pushing the bike"? Is 7k RPM normal for 60mph?
I've my ninja since it was new at 2009, now it has 16.500 miles. I've travelled, went to the track and I use it normally as a commuter to do short trips (20 - 60 miles) in my city (yes, like the video :rolleyes:)
In that mileage I've done a lot of 8K to 10K rpm riding on interstates and never had an issue (none). Clearly, is a very well mantained bike with all the service schedules accomplished, if you keep up with basic mantainance like valve clearance, carb synch, plugs and oil change each 3k miles, you have (at least) a 50K miles motorcycle. Don't worry and ride it like you stole it :cool: , that engine is designed and, since 20 years, proven that can handle abuse. 8K rpm to 12K rpm is the best power moment of the bike, have fun.
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts