Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why cant i put 99-02 parts on my 03 636?? are they interchangeble?

can i put a slip-on from a gsxr?? why not?

exhaust?

pegs?

frame sliders?

other important parts.

OK, the 04 ninjas just came out and there are so many web sites that still do not have parts for an 03.

what the hell is that about????

·
Registered
70 Posts
The basic answer to your question is the bike was redesigned in 2003. Its a whole new bike. So of course things from previous years are not going to work. There ARE some things that do interchange though,(like sprockets, for example)

The other brands of bikes have different designs as well. You might be able to use a can from another bike, but it would be rigged up and might look like crap. As for other parts, different manufacturers use different sizes for bolts and things such as frame sliders.

So, to make a long story short, most things won't interchange. Some MIGHT, you'd have to do trial and error to figure it out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also, give aftermarket places time to design new parts for the bike. Many companies do have products for the 636/6r but they just haven't updated their website to reflect the new parts. Make some phone calls and you'll be surprised just how man parts are out there for the 03/04

·
Registered
474 Posts
'99-'02 parts will not fit your '03. The '03 is a completely different bike. That's like putting old Dodge parts in your new Chevy.

A slip-on from a GSXR probably wouldn't fit. You can probably make it fit, but a 636 and a gixxer use different ways of mounting the pipe, so it would be pretty ghetto.

Pegs and frame sliders, like exhaust, have to be designed to fit the bike if they are going to mount up and function properly.

A lot of manufacturers still don;t have their stuff for the '03's up, but everything you could want is in production already. You can get rearsets, frame sliders, exhausts, etc. They are out there. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
wait until mid next year for all the good stuff to be available.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by Mikey

'99-'02 parts will not fit your '03. The '03 is a completely different bike. That's like putting old Dodge parts in your new Chevy.
Hey I resemble that remark :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Where there is a will there is a way!
You need to remove the part you are replacing and then go look around to see what you can make fit.
They make these parts and market them to people who barely know what an allen key is. A lot of times the part for one bike is exactly like the part for another but with a bolt that is 1/2inch shorter.
Its all metric so look around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.