Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 250R that isn't running. The Mechanic told me the fifth gear was stuck to the input shaft and replacing that would cost me $900 in parts and labor. Here were his estimates:
input shaft - 110
gear - 60
rings, seals, misc. - 290
and the rest of the $900 is labor

I think this is ridiculous, the prices for the shaft and gear look okay, a little high, but for the small parts to add up to 290??? I did some research and even a new transmission is less than $500...

Should I pay him? Is this something I can do myself? Or should i find another kawi mechanic in town?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

TheDoc

·
Pursebully
37,542 Posts
You have nothing to lose by getting a second opinion. Don't offer up any info from the previous estimate...let the second guy come up with his own.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the whole engine has to be torn down to replace the tranny on that bike. Meaning the seals for the whole engine have to be replaced, including the head gasket, the case gasket, etc, and that could easily get to $290.

The $900 in labor I'm honestly not too surprised about. I'm guessing your shop's labor rate is $100/hr, so that's 9 hours to pull the engine out, pull it apart, replace the parts, put it back together, and put the engine back in.

Where are you located?

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
I have an '08 250R that isn't running. The Mechanic told me the fifth gear was stuck to the input shaft and replacing that would cost me $900 in parts and labor. Here were his estimates:
input shaft - 110
gear - 60
rings, seals, misc. - 290
and the rest of the $900 is labor

I think this is ridiculous, the prices for the shaft and gear look okay, a little high, but for the small parts to add up to 290??? I did some research and even a new transmission is less than $500...

Should I pay him? Is this something I can do myself? Or should i find another kawi mechanic in town?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

TheDoc
Take it to get another opinion but it sounds like hes doing the right thing, hes going to give you a rebuild kit since hes opening up the case (you have to do that to fix a transmission)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have nothing to lose by getting a second opinion. Don't offer up any info from the previous estimate...let the second guy come up with his own.
It's just that the bike is immobile so it'd be hard to get a second opinion. Trouble I don't want to go through if my mechanic is giving it to me straight

·
Registered
448 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the whole engine has to be torn down to replace the tranny on that bike. Meaning the seals for the whole engine have to be replaced, including the head gasket, the case gasket, etc, and that could easily get to $290.

The $900 in labor I'm honestly not too surprised about. I'm guessing your shop's labor rate is $100/hr, so that's 9 hours to pull the engine out, pull it apart, replace the parts, put it back together, and put the engine back in.

Where are you located?
He's not charging him for 9 hours. He's charging him about 3.5 hours. I'm not sure if that's reasonable or not but it doesn't sound crazy if you need to tear the whole thing apart.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
I find it questionable that he was able to make the diagnosed without splitting the cases.

What are the symptoms?

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
I'd be impressed if he could get the engine out, disassembled and reinstalled with new transmission parts in 3.5 hours... That's insanely fast. Especially since he's planning on doing the top end as well.

I'm not sure I'd be asking for a second opinion, I'd be asking how he knows that's the problem.

That being said, he needs to replace an awful lot of seals, small bearings, circlips, and washers to get to fifth gear. And that's assuming you don't need to pull the cylinders. $290 worth of seals and misc isn't unreasonable.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'd be impressed if he could get the engine out, disassembled and reinstalled with new transmission parts in 3.5 hours... That's insanely fast. Especially since he's planning on doing the top end as well.

I'm not sure I'd be asking for a second opinion, I'd be asking how he knows that's the problem.

That being said, he needs to replace an awful lot of seals, small bearings, circlips, and washers to get to fifth gear. And that's assuming you don't need to pull the cylinders. $290 worth of seals and misc isn't unreasonable.
That's what I was thinking. Extremely fast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts