Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question for anyone that knows;

got a buddy that just bought an 08 vulcan 500. BRAND NEW rider, had the bike for only about 3 weeks. he's sketchy about goin' over 100 miles per tank. i told him he can do way better than that, but i'm not sure how much better.

so,....what do you guys get a tank on yours? thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that he sucks at riding haha... i saw him the other day and it did not look like he could see over the handlebars haha
"hey kelly, i got'em kelly,....heh,....heh,...c that kelly i got'em huh?, heh,....heh!

anyway, for real, if any1 can help with this question. comments from the black mamba are always welcome, but seldom helpful! hahahaha. that was good though, mike,...gave me a laugh.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont know much about the cruisers but if its only a 500, it probably doesnt have that big of a tank and runs at higher rpms than a bigger bike, 100 might not be far off?

edit-

4.0 gal.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=219&content=specifications

should be gettin way more than 25mpg...
oh yeah, i agree. i'm sure he's not empty when he's fillin' up b4 100, its just with no gas gage, he's nervous to go past that. he didn't mention how much he was putting in it when he filled up. i'll ask and guess we could reason the rest from there. just wondered if any vulcan 500 dudes were out there with a quick answer. thanx hoser.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I talked to him the other day he is not even getting close to empty before he fills up so i told him to run it down a little more and check the miles. the Kawai website also says he should be getting about 50miles to the gallon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to him the other day he is not even getting close to empty before he fills up so i told him to run it down a little more and check the miles. the Kawai website also says he should be getting about 50miles to the gallon.
oh, rock on dude. he was askin me that one day i stayed at work real late. check ur PM's, i got one there for ya.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '08 Vulcan 500 and have the same issue. It gets 50 + mpg, and it has a 4 gallon tank, so should be able to go close to 200 miles to a tank. But whenever I get to about 125 miles, she stalls out, and I have to switch to reserve. Then I rush to fill the tank. I've complained to my dealer shop, and their response is just fill 'er up when you get to 100 miles. Must be a design flaw in the tank that you can't get all the gas used. Great bike otherwise. Have you had any other experience with the mileage on a tank?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get about 55 MPG on mine, depending on how I ride. The fuel system on a 500 is gravity fed, so when your tank gets down to about a gallon or less, there isn't enough fuel weight to force the fuel out - - - hence, you can't use it all. I usually can get to about 130 miles before I have to hit reserve, and mostly I fill up at about 120. The reserve is only .8 gallons, so after about 120 miles, there isn't much left in the tank. This topic has been discussed on other forums, and that seems to be the general consensus of most folks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My old 500 would get 143-147 miles to a tank before reserve. It was like clockwork. If he's only getting 100 miles out of a tank, that means he's only getting 25 mpg.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I reset my odo every time I gas up. I always gas up @ around 150ish. One time on the interstate, I had to go on reserve. Reached the next gas station @ 192 miles. My tank had a few drops left. I have a 98' 800 classic. I get about 40/50 mpg since I had the EPA crap removed from the bike. New Jersey don't do state safety inspection on motorcycles anymore and laid off the techs. Once, they were failing my bike because I have an airhorn instead of the OEM horn, Lucky I didn't remove the OEM horn. Just unhooked the wires and switched. I had beep- beep instead of blast-blast. Bike was passed and got the sticker. Switched it back when I got home. Now no more inspections and no need for freaking stickers. I still carry the state letter informing "no more bike inspections" under the seat in case I go out of state.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts