Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to extend my mirron on my 02 Zx-6r? I have pretty braod shoulders and I cant see behind me no matter how I adjust them? Anyone have an good solutions for this?

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
415 Posts
haha, damn i thought i was the only one here with that problem. sometimes i have to move my head to see everything in my mirror. other guys are always asking why i do that to look behind me...i guess they just don't understand us gifted riders [|)]

·
Registered
226 Posts
im gonna take off the stock mirrors and get some billet bar end mirrors. a friend of mine has a gixxer 1000. hes an ex racer. hes got that set up on his bike and the visibility on there is WAY better. im thinkin about even adding some extra blinkers up top there. thought it would look cool and i could see if i had them on...we all forget about them sometimes

·
Registered
298 Posts
i thought the same thing, matter fact i put a post up in the zx10r section, it seems that the mirror off them are alittle longer, and should mount up just fine, just a matter of what angle they would be at after its mounted. anyone know someone with a zx-10r that could try it?

·
Registered
415 Posts
not yet i don't. i will head on down to the local shop and see what they say. if they got teh 10's in they might even try it out for me. i'll shoot an update out if they do.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Don't you guys use the under the arm technique?

I adjust my mirrors so they are pretty much level with my bicep and if I want to see behind me I just point my elbow outwards a little bit and look though the space between my body and arm to see behind me. If I need to see a wider area I take my arm off the bar (about 4-6 inches max) so I can move my arm out a bit more. That works for me.

The stock mirrors bolts are pretty short. Even if you could fit an additional spacer between the fairing and the mirror and the bolt did fit you'd get no more than an additional half an inch.

Also, look at cruisers, which have usuable mirrors. The bars are really wide. Sport bikes are narrow. To actually have mirrors on my bike that extended out past my body so I could see, I'd need mirros a foot long. It'd prolly look pretty dorky. Sport bikes are just made narrower than cruisers.

Another suggestion for those that might want to try this, you could get a mirror that fits at the end of the bar end. Some of them have a quik-lock style attachment also. And they are round. I've seen two different sizes. If I were to use one of those I'd do it only while riding and then pop it off and put it in my pocket (or under the seat) when my bike was parked.

As far as aftermarket mirrors, try:

denniskirk.com
Sargent (forgot the URL, might be sargent.com)
Chapparralmotorsports.com

I got like 2 more URL's but I can't find them. Let me see what I can find and I'll post back.

Good luck.

-Flash

·
Registered
415 Posts
sometimes you don't have time for all that. sometimes when i am hitting twisties i am looking for that random squid who is trying to play catch up behind me, you know, the guy who either:
A.tears through the straights but goes 2mph in the turns
b.same as before but passes you right before a turn and slows the hell down....
i hate that :( that is when i am usually using my mirrors. other then that i am just looking around for the boys in blue :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
once i get my zx6r here to the shop i will see if i can build some mirror extenders if there is any interest would be really helpful

·
Registered
80 Posts
After further review I am not sure it would help too much. You would have to extend them a good 3 -4" in my case. Would look too goofy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know what your sayin', its a bother trying to see out of the stock mirrors, I am pretty wide in my lats/shoulders too and the stock ones stink. I was thinking about getting some billet block off plates that some guy is selling on ebay and getting the bar end ones, or at least just one on the left to be legal.

Only thing about the block off plates on ebay is that they are billet and I dont want the polished look on my bike, I want Carbon/Anodized blue. I might just have them done in blue though if possible. Plus I hope the guy has em in just blank too, the ones there say ZX on em, and its etched in...oh well. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dude, thats a great idea! I have done some minor bodywork and stuff ona friend old car before, but how would you suggest I sand that area without scathing the factory paint around it, I mean I would have to do the edges and stuff when I am sanding the JB Weld???? I appreciate the advice! :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by Anon
I know what your sayin', its a bother trying to see out of the stock mirrors, I am pretty wide in my lats/shoulders too and the stock ones stink. I was thinking about getting some billet block off plates that some guy is selling on ebay and getting the bar end ones, or at least just one on the left to be legal.

Only thing about the block off plates on ebay is that they are billet and I dont want the polished look on my bike, I want Carbon/Anodized blue. I might just have them done in blue though if possible. Plus I hope the guy has em in just blank too, the ones there say ZX on em, and its etched in...oh well. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
heh mirror extenders if im towing a trailer [:eek:)]

honestly longer mirrors for me will just be prone to getting hooked onto truck beds and other peoples' mirrors :Dto a certain extent i could understand some of my guys might need them because everyone has a different build

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.