Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions.

Has anyone installed mirror extentions. Mine are hard to see to the rear when I wear my leather jacket. I have to lift my arms to be able to see.

I have two people tell me I need a steering dampener. I have a 06 ZX-6R Stock I have not felt any shaking yet. What do you think. I dont race the track. Daily driving, occasional burst of speed over 100 mph

·
Registered
184 Posts
you should be ok without a damper for comuting, if you ever hit the track you'll def. need the damper.

as for the mirrors, it's just something you'll have to deal with. never heard of anyone making ext. for mirrors. you could get the bar end type mirrors.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by Ken C
04-05 GSXR mirrors bolt right onto '05-06 636s and are about an inch longer.
That's very good to know....the extra lenght will surely do some good...how much do they go for...??? Do you have pics ?????

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mirrors? Whatcha need those things for?

·
Registered
735 Posts
+1 on the damper. I highly recommend you get one. Extra bit of insurance in case you need it. They also look SWEEEEET!!!

As for mirrors, I have to lift my arm to see as well. Don't know if I will replace them. I feel weird about putting a Suzuki part on my Kawi!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont plan on going to the track, but I have had mine up to 125 so far. Plan on higher, when I can find a better road. the highway here will beat you to death.

Mirrors: I need them to watch my back. Especially at intersections when the cars have a history of running over bikes that they dont see.
thanks for the input. I probably will get a dampener one day, just not on the priority list above fixing the mirror problem.

I loved the 2005 red, and was going to get the green, but I fell in love with the 2006 blue.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I dont understand how anyone can ride freeways without a mirror. For canyons its fine to not have one since you wouldnt see past the last turn anyway. But for city and freeway driving, I like to know when some jackass is tailgating me, or especially when 5-O is rolling deep on my 6.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The damper is one of those things where youd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I don't have one yet and have did 4 trackdays with my zixxer and haven't had much headshake at all so you should be OK without one. In most cases its just a band aid for something else that is wrong.

That being said its #1 on my list of winter upgrades since I plan on getting a bump to the I group next year and will be pushing even harder than I have.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I've gotten head shakes on the street before. I was pushing it real hard and front end was really light, hit a small dip in the road and head started shaking. Wish I had something to dampen it. Scared the shit out of me after it happened. GPR or Hyperpro RSC is on the Christmas list. :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Originally posted by rainking1978
I've gotten head shakes on the street before. I was pushing it real hard and front end was really light, hit a small dip in the road and head started shaking. Wish I had something to dampen it. Scared the shit out of me after it happened. GPR or Hyperpro RSC is on the Christmas list. :D
same think happened to me Saturday afternoon. I was on an entrance ramp wound up pretty tight when my front end got light. headshake started as soon as the wheel touched back down. FYI - this was NOT an attempt to wheelie but i did get it a littel too hot in first gear.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by carbonr1<br>you should be ok without a damper for comuting, if you ever hit the track you'll def. need the damper.

as for the mirrors, it's just something you'll have to deal with. never heard of anyone making ext. for mirrors. you could get the bar end type mirrors.
Man you must be really out of the loop on what aftermarket parts are available for your bike. And it's something that he won't have to deal with because there is a safer option for him. These will fit a ZX6R 636, '03-'04 (636cc), I guess if the mirrors install on his 06 the same as they do on a 03-04 636 then he's in business. As for the steering damper Kawasaki engineered the bike to be very stable at high speeds without a steering damper. I have run my 06 ZZR600 at the 130 to 160 range with no steering issue. Maybe you should work on your riding skill before spending a bunch of money that is not needed. How many years have you been riding?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2516/220/

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by jpaul310<br>our bikes look so much better without mirrors!
Yep in a track environment only. Running no mirrors in the street with all the idiots trying to drive cars and your asking for it[xx(]

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Originally posted by ZZRrocket

Man you must be really out of the loop on what aftermarket parts are available for your bike. And it's something that he won't have to deal with because there is a safer option for him. These will fit a ZX6R 636, '03-'04 (636cc), I guess if the mirrors install on his 06 the same as they do on a 03-04 636 then he's in business. As for the steering damper Kawasaki engineered the bike to be very stable at high speeds without a steering damper. I have run my 06 ZZR600 at the 130 to 160 range with no steering issue. Maybe you should work on your riding skill before spending a bunch of money that is not needed. How many years have you been riding?

Just a comment on this, the extensions are nice but as for your comment about your bike and his riding skills...well I am willing to bet there are ALOT of very qualified riders here including myself that get headshake, your ZZR is not the same bike as the ZX6R or the 636, a steering dampner for the 6R and 636 is HIGHLY recommended for any riding. I have noticed slight headshake just cruising down the highway and having to get on the gas hard. The GSXR mirriors and a dampner are both good investments, although I suggest the dampner long before the mirriors.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by Riding4life

Just a comment on this, the extensions are nice but as for your comment about your bike and his riding skills...well I am willing to bet there are ALOT of very qualified riders here including myself that get headshake, your ZZR is not the same bike as the ZX6R or the 636, a steering dampner for the 6R and 636 is HIGHLY recommended for any riding. I have noticed slight headshake just cruising down the highway and having to get on the gas hard. The GSXR mirriors and a dampner are both good investments, although I suggest the dampner long before the mirriors.
Thanks for your help man. I have never ridden a 6R or a 636. I wasn't trying to say that the guy didn't know how to ride. Some people get there selves into bad habits sometimes that can affect how the bike performs. That was my point really. And for the record my friend the 2005-2007 ZZR600 is the same bike as a 2000-2002 ZX6R. The 2000-2002 ZX6R has just been rebadged as a ZZR. It's the old school "J" model and it does quite well agianst other bikes in the same class. The ZZR600 definitely no moped:D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ok as for this comment. Why hate on people for wanting a steering damper??? Really does it make you bigger or should I say a better rider? Anyways to get back on subject, no matter how good of a rider you are you will get some headshake not even if its your fault could be the rode. So yes I would definately reccomend a steering damper. As far as mirrors I personally would never ride without them couldnt take not being able to look back and see if im about to get hit. Also riding 130 to 160 in straight line that is really something to brag about. Im done just wanted to clarify all this.

Originally posted by ZZRrocket

1 - 20 of 62 Posts