Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
loosen the slack in your clutch cable(check your owner's manual for this). It probably just needs adjusting.

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP
flushmount v's, valter moto rearset adjusters, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Guys - I just changed my oil last weekend (Motul 10w40 semi-synth) for the 3rd time. The shifting's ultra smooth and less vibration than before but, as got onto the freeway I gunned her from third, up shifted and it didn't seen to catch! She just revved high (not near redline thank GOD) and finally caught the gear. This happened several times that evening. Now, I swear I was up shifting and catching the gear positively but after reading posts about "friction modifiers" and clutch slippage I wonder. In fact, I could have sworn I was steady in gear and suddenly she revved like she hit neutral. WTF!? Not a big deal but any input is appreciated.

BTW - I poured the whole gallon in and the oil sight glass is closer to the top line, not quite but close. Probably less than half a quart over. Is this O.K. and would that have something to do with the missed shifts/slippage? Thanks for your info and advice fellas.

"It's not the size of the Gun but the caliber of the Bullet that makes the biggest hole!" -SDF

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. 1 to 1. In my case it's the clutch. I need a new one, as simple as that.
Before you jump to conclusions try adjusting clutch cable.

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the advice fellas, will adjust the clutch cable this evening after work. Sounds like that is all I need to do.

"It's not the size of the Gun but the caliber of the Bullet that makes the biggest hole!" -SDF

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was having this same problem, Mine slipped OUT of gear back into neutral from 1st to second,,, at first i thought i was jus missing 2nd , but then it started happening from 2nd to 3rd,,, but only if im hittin it HARD , from a standstill or something, usually from a power wheelie,,i guess i need more practice, i will try the clutch cable adjustment tonite tho

hope it works

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
shitz.. me too.. 1st to 2nd, redline first and it will not go into 2nd. so i let the RPM drop back down then i try shifing again.. that sucks. But this only happens once in a while, and i also use Motul 10-40 semi-syn. So can it be a clutch defect for the 03?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hehe - me too me too!! I've noticed a progressive deterioration in the success of my upshifts, especially after 3rd. First time I try, I get out of gear, second time it connects. This is a new bike, and it's breaking in nicely. I did a search last night and found there's a lot of stuff that can cause this, but with a bike that only has about 675 miles on it, and my old fart riding style, I doubt that I've farked the thing already. I did feel a bit of play in the clutch lever, and dialed that out tonight. Way too easy. Didn't have any probs on the way to Pizza Hut tonight, and I plan to do some morning rides this weekend to see how well the fix took. It was funny too, since I changed the oil just yesterday - regular Kawachem 10w-40 - and last night it was a real pain. Although that could also have been my white knuckle reaction to trying to keep up with a bunch of utterly fearless kids on twisties in the dark..........[:M24]

·
Registered
344 Posts
As twisties, no. As something I could only see when I got closer, and couldn't see around the corners until I was in them, yes. Scary as hell, and I almost went wide in between a pair of headlights. One thing about getting older is that the clarity of your night vision tends to deteriorate. I haven't noticed anything specific, but when I turn off the brights, it does seem to take longer to adjust. Tony sez bring up the rear. Hehe, sure. Like bait at the end of a fish line, yeahright. :D

Hey, BTW, since your 04 isn't that much older than mine, Jeff, have you noticed any shifting anomolies?

And when you change oil, where is a good place to get rid of it around here? I've started a collection.... might want to lose it sometime soon. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
They way we went I've been down hundreds of times so I'm familiar with those curves, much easier to ride through them quick because I know them. If we go up Lemon, I would suggest holding back until you get used to the curves, at least when we go at night. I'm not as familiar with those and I hold back, no shame at all.

As for shifting, not really. The only time I notice any shifting issues is from 2nd-3rd, and that's only cause I'm trying to pop through the gears and don't let the shifter all the way down so that it fully disengages between shifts, but otherwise no. I'm changing the oil today after I put my exhaust on, I'll let you know.

Disposal. Dunno, this will be the first time I perform the change myself. I think you could take it to any garage and pay 1-3 dollars to have them take it.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Most auto store will take them here in town.. i take mine to the pepboys on 22nd and Kolb and drop off my oils..

TWSISTY...Vrroommm Vrroom.. lol dont' worry guys go at your past, i alwasy will pull over and wait, you know that.

I have nto miss shift yet on a race...YEAH!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
on where to take the oil. took it to the pep boys down the road from Chuy's. free to drop off, just some enviro paperwork to fill out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.