Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a bad idea to replace your rear tire with a different tire than your front ? or vice versa ?

I have a pair of Pilot Powers and will sonn be replacing the rear tire.
I was thinking heavily about the Metzeler M3 since I have heard they are awesome and handle differentley than the PP's.
Also wondering if anyone has switched from pilot powers to 2cts and how they liked the change ?

It's a 190/50/17 ona 00 zx9r, and I am thinking i'll go with a 180/55 for quicker steering ? has anyone done this before ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is it a bad idea to replace your rear tire with a different tire than your front ? or vice versa ?

I have a pair of Pilot Powers and will sonn be replacing the rear tire.
I was thinking heavily about the Metzeler M3 since I have heard they are awesome and handle differentley than the PP's.
Also wondering if anyone has switched from pilot powers to 2cts and how they liked the change ?

It's a 190/50/17 ona 00 zx9r, and I am thinking i'll go with a 180/55 for quicker steering ? has anyone done this before ?

Well there is nothing too bad about having different tires for street use. One thing you might run into is one tire may have the traction for a corner but the other does not. Since they will be different compounds and such they will have different traction capabilities.

G

·
ive seen guys haul ass on the street with shitty, mis-matched tires

for peace of mind tho, if im gonna ride hard i rather do it with matching tires

i have an almost worn out front and a new rear right now. i dont feel comfortable taking turns too fast

·
Registered
206 Posts
a few things...

The 6" rim will slightly change the profile of a 180... vs a 180's profile on a 5.5' rim.

You are thinking of changing from a 190/50 pilot power to a tire that does not have as triangular profile the pilot power so tip in ease may or may not improve with the 180 Metz... you stand a better chance of improving tip in if you stick with the same brand.

A new tire will always fell better than a squared off worn tire...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I know people who do it. My opinion is the tires are manufactured to work together front and rear with profile and compounds; I never run mismatched tires for that reason. Now if you were going to run a regular PP up front and a PP2CT out back that wouldn't be an issue. If you look at tire profiles of different brands you'll see how different they really are, what you can't see is the compounds that are used to determine grip and these can vary greatly from brand to brand. Just my .02

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback

Since i'm new to riding two wheels on the street I decided to stay with Michelin, the 180/55 Pilot Road 2 on the rear (I would have liked to try a pilot road 2 in the 190/55 size but I have only seen this available in the 2ct) and I already have a like new Pilot Power in the front. I figure it's probably a more safe bet.

I really had a good feeling about the Metzeler M3's but next time I will give em a try hopefully as a set :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.