Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket air filter for my zx6. I've read mixed reviews about their ability to filter dust and that they have negligable power gains. I'd like to hear some real opinions from the folks I trust on here, and if you think they are worth the money.

·
Registered
297 Posts
:dunno:

I'd say they're good for 20 mental horsepower. I've had no issues with dust getting past the filter, and I live in a dust bowl. The real plus is they're washable, whereas the dealer will toss out the stock one and replace it for a good $40 or something each time.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
BMC or Pipercross.

had a BMC in my 636, and wish i had one in the 10R. came with a K&N so that's what i'm stuck with for the time being.

the only real benefit to an aftermarket air filter is the fact that it's serviceable. they don't filter or flow that much better, if at all, than an OEM air filter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't realize they were washable, that makes a big difference by itself. Do you have to soak them with oil like I used to have to do with me ninja 500?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Do you have to soak them with oil like I used to have to do with me ninja 500?
No, not at all. Most use a spray to loosen the filter oil, then you rinse and dry. Afterwords, you re-apply filter oil.

I have to ask tough, why are you soaking your filter for the 500?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The air filter on the 500's are designed to be soaked with oil for some reason, even the k&n version requires it. I'm assuming it's because the air filter isn't far from the rear tire and it's not a ram air style.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes, soak was a terrible choice. All oiled filters get the light coat of oil. But, please tell me you weren't oiling the stock filter.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have a bmc race filter that I put on at the same time as slip on so I would not be able to tell you it made a difference. I can tell you it made intake noise louder.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was the stock air filter, it is designed to be oiled. The service manual says to clean it with carb cleaner, then lightly pat 10w30 oil on the outside of the filter to trap small particulates. That is the method for the stock filter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a bmc race filter that I put on at the same time as slip on so I would not be able to tell you it made a difference. I can tell you it made intake noise louder.
Did you have to put a power commander on after? I already have one on but was wondering if it was really necessary.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Did you have to put a power commander on after? I already have one on but was wondering if it was really necessary.
I didn't yet though I would like to have one. As mentioned before it doesn't improve air flow drastically so I don't think it would be necessary. I haven't had any problems

1 - 12 of 12 Posts