Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think that's bike oil dude!! [:0] The only thing they make for bikes is MX4T 10W/40 - and there's also a v-twin formula as well that I can't remember what it's about. Anyway, you don't want to use that stuff in there unless it's specifically labeled for your wheels of speed, the friction modifiers that are added to it could make your clutch slip excessively among other fun oddities. Just don't put it in, and if you have, get it out of there ASAP!!!

Chaos, panic, disorder......

my work here is done

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I believe the only oils of concern are labled "energy saving" which this oil is not. I am almost postive that their are people on this board who swear by this oil. But then again, I may be mistaken[B)]

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by Strong Bad

I don't think that's bike oil dude!! [:0] The only thing they make for bikes is MX4T 10W/40 - and there's also a v-twin formula as well that I can't remember what it's about. Anyway, you don't want to use that stuff in there unless it's specifically labeled for your wheels of speed, the friction modifiers that are added to it could make your clutch slip excessively among other fun oddities. Just don't put it in, and if you have, get it out of there ASAP!!!
That is not in the least bit true. There are probably more people who use Mobil 1 15w-50 than any other oil for their bike. Sure, it's not bike oil, but it doesn't have to be. Just as long as it doesn't contain any friction modifiers the clutch will be fine. The energy conserving oils contain the friction modifiers. Mobil 1 15w-50 is not one of them. It is fine to use, Sh1n5.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I just picked up some Mobil 1 15W-50 "New SuperSyn". This is the correct, right?!? I am in Canada and it cost me 6.42/quart, in case anyone was wondering. Just want to make sure before I do my oil change tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
OK so here's my question. 10w40 or 15w-50?
I'm in NH so it does not get super hot here.

I am planning on changing to Mobil 1 at 2k miles, probably next week.

-Jack
'03 636 black

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Well, more important than the climatic temperature is the way you run your bike. Do you typically run it hard with the revs soaring? That can compensate for a cooler outside temperature pretty quickly.;)

If you don't run it excessively hard, then your best bet would be to go with the 10w-40.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You shouldnt really use semi or synthetic oil till the bikes done 2k as it will interfere with the running in process. Kawasaki only recommend semi as the chages are so frequent. If you go to a finer grade IE:- 5w-50 Mobil 1, you will find it will make the gearchange very poor or non existent (as I found out on a CBX750 I had about 13 years ago)

Ash

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Mobil 1 15W-50 is the only Mobil 1 car oil viscosity without the Energy Conserving rating. Their other viscosities, including 10W-40, have the Energy Conserving rating and so contain friction modifiers that can cause clutch slippage.

If you like Mobil 1 car oil, choose 15W-50 regardless of climate.

·
Registered
302 Posts
ah thank you, now what is the difference between Mobil 1 15w-50 and this MX4T?

I don't care about cost I only want the best for my baby. heh.

-Jack
'03 636 black

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
According to the FAQ at mobil1.com,

Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 MX4T has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads. Remember, most bikes don’t have catalytic converters, so higher levels of phosphorus are not a problem.

In addition, Mobil 1 MX4T uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 MX4T is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.

Mobil 1 claim MX4T is markedly different from 15W-50, and charge a premium for it. Choose the one you like.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.