Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to go on an upgrade-spree for my stock 2005 ZX6-R. After a crash on the track the other day, I decided to park the bike in the garage for the season, and to make a strong comeback in 2009. I need some help from you guys on what modifications to do. I've already ordered a new set of replica fairings, a new carbon fibre engine cover, a carbon fibre hugger, a carbon fibre front fender, an OEM solo seat cowl and a MRA Double Bubble Windscreen. First, I need help on finding a new fuel tank, as the paint got pretty rough treatment by the sandtrap on the track. Does anyone know where I can find a new tank? Preferably in carbon fibre, or at least something light?

With a new tank I should have covered the esthetiques- and the appearance-department pretty good. Now I need help on deciding on what upgrades to make. I'm new to Kawasaki. So, I ask you guys for help and information regarding slip-on versus a full system, information on the best brand of exhaust for my ZX6-R, given it to be slip-on or a full system, and which will give me the best performance, as sound isn't much of an important factor for me. I would also greatly appreciate information about slip-on's, air filter's and power commander's, for instance; to what extent is there something to gain with a power commander and an air filter fitted with the slip-on?
I will list the other upgrades I'm also thinking of ordering, and feel very free to add any parts you feel that is missing, or share experiences with any of the parts listed. The budget is pretty high on this one :crazyloco:, so don't let that be a factor.

K&N Performance Oil Filter
Blue Galfer Stainless Steel Superbike Front Brake Lines
Blue Galfer Stainless Steel Superbike Rear Brake Lines
Pro Impact Frame Sliders
DELRIN Bar Ends
DELRIN Swingarm Sliders
Gold CRG Roll-A-Click Clutch Lever - Short
Gold CRG Roll-A-Click Break Lever - Short
Gold Vortex Rear Sets
In-line Brake Line Pressure Switch

Thank you so much in advance for you help and advice. It'll be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Don't forget about suspension. Especially since you're hitting the track, you'll get way more out of it than you will with engine mods. Also, since money isn't an issue I'd spring for some Attack, Gilles, Sato, or Arata rearsets. For sliders, I recommend Woodcraft. Replacement pucks are cheap, and they're beefier than anything else on the market. I've gone down at 50+ with them and all I had to do was turn them 180 degrees since they still had a ton of life left.

EDIT: If you're going to run swingarm sliders, make sure you get the mounting points reinforced. They come with some really sketchy welds from the factory. A lot of members on here have had them snap in a crash. A few have even had them break off while putting their bike on a stand. Another option would be axle sliders. SME makes some decent ones with $6 replacement pucks.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i would skip the "bling stuff" get the bike in top mechanical condition, then go get your suspension set for you & buy tires & lots of track time :D if its a track bike or even a street bike your likely going to dump it again ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't forget about suspension. Especially since you're hitting the track, you'll get way more out of it than you will with engine mods. Also, since money isn't an issue I'd spring for some Attack, Gilles, Sato, or Arata rearsets. For sliders, I recommend Woodcraft. Replacement pucks are cheap, and they're beefier than anything else on the market. I've gone down at 50+ with them and all I had to do was turn them 180 degrees since they still had a ton of life left.

EDIT: If you're going to run swingarm sliders, make sure you get the mounting points reinforced. They come with some really sketchy welds from the factory. A lot of members on here have had them snap in a crash. A few have even had them break off while putting their bike on a stand. Another option would be axle sliders. SME makes some decent ones with $6 replacement pucks.
i would skip the "bling stuff" get the bike in top mechanical condition, then go get your suspension set for you & buy tires & lots of track time :D if its a track bike or even a street bike your likely going to dump it again ;)
Wow, great response time. Thanks! Thank you for providing some clean-cut answers. But, you've left me with a couple of questions.

deviation_now, when you say suspension, do you mean, for instance Öhlins shocks, forks and drums and steering damper, in other words a complete suspension set? Or are there more vital, important parts I can allow myself to upgrade first. And when you list up the other brands for rear sets, does that mean that Vortex isn't worth the money?

J_fukin_t, what do you mean by "bling stuff"? The bike is in top mechanical condition, and I believe my tires are eligible for track days. The ZX6-R sits on Bridgestone BT002's, what do you guys think of those tires compared to, let's say, Diablo Supercorsa III, or the Pilot Power 2CT tires?

And any opinions regarding exhausts among you?

Again, thank you for all responses, feedback and answers.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i mean by levers & stuff like that, the stock stuff works fine & if its being tracked your likely gonna screw up a set of near $200 levers, the rearsets will be nice though & the 002's are supposed to be great, haven't tried them myself but heard good things, the supercorsa's on the other hand are nice & even better than my corsa III's, exhaust is really a preference thing to be honest, they all put down the same numbers in a mater of 1-2 hp ya know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i mean by levers & stuff like that, the stock stuff works fine & if its being tracked your likely gonna screw up a set of near $200 levers, the rearsets will be nice though & the 002's are supposed to be great, haven't tried them myself but heard good things, the supercorsa's on the other hand are nice & even better than my corsa III's, exhaust is really a preference thing to be honest, they all put down the same numbers in a mater of 1-2 hp ya know
I really like the short and compact feel of adjustable levers though. At least on the brake. Can't seem to get myself to put more than three fingers on the OEM lever anyway.
So there's a difference in 1-2 brake between the different exhausts then?! :D Man, then I would really like to know which of the exhausts provided the most. Anyone? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I meant exactly what you mentioned for suspension parts.

The Vortex rearsets don't offer as much adjustability as the other brands I listed, and the bearings they use don't feel as smooth during shifting and braking. It's not to say that they're not worth the money, but if you spend a bit more you'll have a much better product. I wouldn't say that levers are entirely for aesthetics. They offer improved feel and modulation in the same way that aftermarket rearsets do. Long levers are available in a folding variation, and short ones rarely make contact with the ground so crashes aren't really an issue.

It's a tough call between exhausts. I doubt anyone will be able to give you a straight comparison between multiple brands. A full system will definitely give you more power than a slip-on, but keep in mind that you're going to have to get it tuned as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts