Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo wussup Riderz...Ummm I am just wondering if it is possible to modify the stock muffler. What i mean is Gut out the baffler or cat or whatever is in there...I just changed oil and i took the muffler out just to see if it was possible to take that thing in there out...By the looks of it..its preety sealed in there...I was thinkin about takin the rivets out and maybe it may come out then seal it back on by using screws where the rivets were at....so if anyone of you peoples has actually done this..enlightend me.....I am just trying to get out of spending money on an after market muffler ...[xx(]

·
Registered
36 Posts
dude, not to be rude but do yourself a favor and BUY THE AFTERMARKET CAN!!!! you will be glad you did.... although a have never heard anything other that a stock 636 I have heard a number of bikes.... with aftermarket cans. and they sound good....... say what you want about the brands... Akro, yoshi, hindle , Mussys Yes even D&D I know the sound that you are looking for and you are NOT going to get it by gutting your stock can.......
Heres a tip from one broke fellow ZX6R owner to another..... goto www.kneedraggers.com
and click on exhaust. then click on jardine for Kawasaki and choose the race slip on...... it costs only 225.00 and is 8.50 tho ship .......just ordered mine Saturday. afer making a few extra dollars.... ( believe me, I have thought of gutting the stock can my self) i cant wait for it to get here...... heard one on a friends R6 the other day and it was the sound that I was looking for at a great price....... by the way........ now I know this is just for Pa. folks. but i am sure in the future it will be all over...... STARTING IN DECEMBER....... all vehicles will have to undergow an emmissions test...... for now, it is just a visual inpection to make sure that your cat converter is there...... but I would think that it would apply to all vehicles....... i will be saving my stock pipe for inspection time next year, just in case...... ood luck. and may your Virgin stock can rest in peace comfortably on the top shelf of your garage... . Toxiclows

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you do take out the baffle, i think you might lose some power. I was also considering taking it out myself but power loss may be noticeable and sound may not be worth it. Maybe drilling holes can make the bike sound a bit louder. I know how quiet the stockies are, as I sometimes get cut off by cars coz they couldn't see/hear me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know a guy with a 99 zx6r. His pipe has been gutted - don't know how or other details though. Sorry!

It does sound great though! Even compared with other "Loud" bikes. Really deep sounding!
(and I have a bolt-on "roo racing" pipe!)

·
Registered
690 Posts
I tried the drilling and cutting the inner end cap. It sounded ok but made a dip in power around 5-6k rpm. My devil is better especially after shimming the needles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmm..kewl thank fellas....i guess that does sound good for 225..then gutting my muffler....but i thought bikes dont go under emissions tests??...i dont know.....well i guess its only right to save the stock pipe for those "just in case" moments...well thanks again and i am off to buy me a new muffler...

DAVID

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go for the Jardine for 225 from Kneedraggers...... give me a few days for mine to get here and ill let you know how mine sounds....... i heard the Jardine race can on a friends R6 the oher day. and it sounded sweet........... good luck man,.,,,,
Toxic Lows

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally posted by jrpatterson

do a search on here a couple people have modified the stock exhaust and have liked the sound achieved by this.
One of those would be me.

I'm sure the end-can manufacturers put a lot of time and effort into tuning their products to get a particular sound or even "feel," but at the end of the day, the cans produce similar HP gains resulting from their being open straight-through and improving the flow of exhaust gasses from the engine.

Since the HP gains are the same, then it boils down to sound and quality. You can "tune" the sound of your exhaust note with the thickness of the sheet metal that will be rolled into an internal sleeve: the thicker the metal, the deeper the sound. I got the thickest metal they could find, had it perforated in the same way aftermarket cans are, and it now produces an exhaust now that's deep and can be felt rather than heard thru the house. It crackles and pops on the over-run too, like aftermarket, and has a solid baritone scream at speed.

Yup, I got +2-3 HP with the modification.

Just make sure that when they roll the sleeve, the side on which they drilled is the inside of the tube so that the inside is smooth. If the inside is rough from protrusions in the metal, the gas flow will not be as smooth either.

Gutting the internals takes some effort, as the 4 chambers making up the stock can are very tightly wedged in. You'll have to destroy it to take it out, so there's nothing to restore if you were intending to keep the internals.

I didn't drill out the end caps or anything, just took out the stock internals wholesale.

Best part is it cost me less than a hundred dollars, while giving me recurring amusement when I start up and other bikers jump because it looked stock [^]. And when I get tired of the note, I'll just replace it with a different gauge metal.

Hope that helps, for those who want to save a few bucks ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
My mate has an 01 zx6r and he's taken all but a few baffels out and it does sound pretty good and it hasnt upset his fuel mixtures (Just luck I guess) It isnt very loud tho.

Gareth

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
all bow to Poch...the master of...exhaust stuff..
lol
you da man

·
Registered
5 Posts
MAn you guys gotta stop cutting corners and being stingy i see too many of these young kids who just get their bikes and think they are Mr. Goodwrench, I mean its good to learn about what your riding but learn the right way watch a friend who knows what they are doing then go from there , most of the time if you have to ask about what your doing especially if it is POSSIBLE you should just leave it alone, Work an extra few hours and get the aftermarket pipe you'll be glad you did in the end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.