Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time listener, first time caller.
I presently have 08' 250 and I am thinking about adding all the mods.
I'm looking at a full exhaust, Jet kit and K&N filter. I have searched around the forums to get a specific idea how much of a difference this will make. I've read that it will add approximately 3-5hp on the dyno and that it will pull much harder. What does this equivilate to in the "real world?" A 3-5hp gain is a fair amount. Will this gain transcribe in the 0-60 time? If I can go 0-60 in 6.5 sec will it shave off a .5 or even a whole second? My top end speedo reads 100mph. How much will it add to that (approximately)? I know there are a lot of factors such as weight, elevation, rider experience etc...I'm just looking for a rough estimate. I figured I would ask everyone that has been down that road(no pun). I don't want to spend $1000 on so called upgrades when losing ten pounds of body fat would essentially do the same thing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i read some where on ninja250rider club that your looking to spend 1000 for every 5hp, and its not worth the money. if you want a faster bike the cheapest would be buying a 600.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
i read some where on ninja250rider club that your looking to spend 1000 for every 5hp, and its not worth the money. if you want a faster bike the cheapest would be buying a 600.
Why stop at a 600? Just go straight to a higherbooser.

250 engine mods are very worth it. numbers aren't everything. Full exhaust, jetting, etc helps the bike breathe better and use all of the available RPMs better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i personally cant justify putting thousands of dollars on a bike that i bought for $5000 brand new (Canada). So far the only modification I've done is putting on H.I.D's for better visibility. I am about to put on some new sprockets (15/41 setup) just to lower the RPM's while I'm on the highway as well as improve the fuel consumption.

If you get a full system exhaust + jet kit + K&N filter. Even if you install all that yourself you're still spending upwards of $600. And if you were to get a mechanic to do it for you with the cost of labour it can easily drive that amount over $1000. All that just to give you a few extra horsepower?! Personally I see the ninja250 as a perfect beginner's bike and a perfect commuter because of how efficient it is. When you start dumping all that money into it kind of defeats the purpose.

You are better off hitting the gym and lose some weight. Save yourself thousands of dollars and put that money towards a track riding school. That will be your best "performance" upgrade. You'll be able to ride much faster in the corners. Anyone can twist the throttle in a straight line on a fast bike. That doesn't take skill. In the end its your money. You can have the most modified ninja250 and you can brag about how much money you've put into it just to squeeze a few hp more. Soon enough you'll get bored of the lack of acceleration / speed in a straightline that you'll want something faster anyways. Then what? Turbo charge? It never ends

·
Registered
331 Posts
From the sounds of it it sounds like he wants more power, now if you rode a 250 of course it feels a little under power but still, my experience i found it needs just a little more power better gear ratio and a better looking exhaust, and HIDs for better visibility. and nothing else.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
If it makes the bike more enjoyable, it's worth it. If all your concerned about is HP per dollar go buy a 8-10 year old liter bike.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just finished doing all the mods you mentioned last night. Full Area P exhaust, Factory Pro jet kit, K&N filter, and also removed kleen air and smog stuff. I had 4000 miles on my 08 when I did this and all I can say is it was very well worth the money spent. Its awesome!

If you have the money to blow, its well worth it. If not, then maybe reconsider.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all that responded.
The first time I was ever on a road bike, I was going 130mph after being on it for only 30 seconds! This was my friends 600 and that was ten years ago. I'm now 33, married, and have a small boy. Buying the 250 was a somewhat responsible compromise I made with myself. If had a 600 or higher, I would use everything it has. The chances of my wife becoming a widow would severly increase. Having said all this, I absolutely love this 250. The looks, fit and finish are all great. The only problem I have is the inconsistent acceleration.
0-4.5k is nonexistent (expected)
4.5k-7k is very good
8k has a flat spot
9k-10.5k very good
10.5k and above doesn't exist
If I could get 4k-12k to have the same pull that 4k-7k has, I would be very happy. If these mods could give me consistant acceleration, then I'm all for them. I know they probably aren't cost effective, but I don't care. I could have easliy purchased a 600 or a liter bike but chose not to for reasons stated above. Thanks for any inputs,
you guys rock! (and not like Hudson)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1) put a complete exhaust system on (header and can), install a jet kit and remove your airbox and go with a filter on your carbs.... which will add up to at least $800.

2) or try shimming your needles and get the low-midrange power you seek (a dollar for the washers) and remove the snorkel (free) to get some of the top end back.

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=105901

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=106228
Thanks kkim for the tutorials.
I'm just curious as to what the final outcome will be in terms I can relate with. When someone says it will pull harder(while encouraging), this doesn't tell me much because "harder " is too subjective. If I get a 4-5hp boost from doing all the mods (full exhaust, jetting and K&N), what kind of a difference will I notice in terms of time? If I can go 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds (stock), what would it be like after all the mods I mentioned earlier. I'm just looking for a rough guesstimate. If its only .1 or .2 seconds, it's not worth it. If I can get greater than .5 seconds or so, it might be. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
the biggest difference i noticed was being able to make power after 10k. i dont know if that eqates to any faster acceleration times but it's a lot more enjoyable to ride.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
A) If you have the money Dooo it
B) If you don't have a lot of spare cash, save your money as it won't be all you 'expected'. You'll smooth out your power band by shimming the needles. Spending the big $$ on a new can and jetting isn't going to give you loads more 'peak' power.
C) If you have endless amounts of money to burn just buy a bigger cc bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Engine motors are worth it depending on what you are looking to change. If you are looking for hp, probably not, but if you are looking for better throttle response and rideability, perhaps.

I've done similar mod on my FZ6, exhaust, PCIII, dyno tuned and gained about 7 hp. Total cost...about $1,300. Was it worth it? Maybe not if I was looking for only more hp. My goal was more torque, mid-range and better FI response. I picked up about 11% more torque, much fatter mid-range, smoothed out a flat spot and my trailing throttle, throttle response is much better. In that case was it worth it? Yes!

So it really depends on what you are looking for and why you want it. When its said and done its your bike do what you wish.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Anyone who has not added a full exhaust and jet kit do not know what they are missing. It is a completely different bike. Power delivery is so much better, smoother throttle response, and leaving from a stop improves dramatically.

Area P 480
Jet kit on ebay 70
Install at kawi dealer 155

The shit grin on my face after taking her for a ride, priceless. I have owned 3 600's and now that I am older I was looking just to get back on 2 wheels. This may be considered a beginner bike, but if you are on a 600cc or liter bike in the twisties you better know what you are doing, I will guarantee that if you don't, you will be passed by the old guy on the 250 ;), LOL! Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mods the 250 likes.
1) 41 T rear sprocket
2) full exhaust
3) Jet kit
4) snorkel removal
These 4 mods alone will make the 250 alot more fun to ride. The bike will pull harder all the way thru the rev range and that flat spot after 10,000 rpm will be a memory. Now the real question, are they worth it? HELL YES. If you have 6 bills and change burning a hole thru your pocket and a day to wrench on it.
Real world numbers by my guess
full second off the 0-60 time
12 mph gain on the top end (verified)
Keep an eye on the rpms its easy to over-rev the little beast after the mods.

·
Registered
333 Posts
jamse-r... if haven't done so, remove the snorkel, too. The top end will improve even more.

I just removed it. Just when I thought it couldn't get much better, it certainly did. Redline comes much faster and even the idle sounds better. My bike was running on the rich side, but with this mod it definitely leaned her out a bit. Thank KKim, I love this bike and this forum.

·
Registered
333 Posts
cool... your bike must be running about perfect now. :)

enjoy the twisties.
:D

It is running perfect! Thanks for your dedication to this site! Next up for me SS braided lines and some better tires, and hopefully a I can find a Zero Gravity Windscreen ;).

Like it was stated earlier, are mods worth it? HELL YES!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd really like to try these 2 mods. Removing the snorkel looks fairly straight-forward, but shimming the needles looks a little daunting to this newbie.... I had a couple questions:
1) Do you guys think someone with not very much auto/moto experience can handle the needle mod?
2) Do these mods affect the gas mileage of the Ninja? If so, by about how much?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd really like to try these 2 mods. Removing the snorkel looks fairly straight-forward, but shimming the needles looks a little daunting to this newbie.... I had a couple questions:
1) Do you guys think someone with not very much auto/moto experience can handle the needle mod?
2) Do these mods affect the gas mileage of the Ninja? If so, by about how much?
Shimming the needles is easy. Just make sure the two washers are the same thickness. The hardest part was trying to take the cover of the carbs. Hard to get straight on with a screwdriver. The screws are not the greatest quality and strip very easily.

Thanks to everyone who responded about the mods. Everyone that has done the mods doesn't seem to regret it. I'm going to do all of them over this miserable Michigan winter. In the mean time, can I safely take the snorkel out with the carbs shimmed? Will this lean it out too much?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts