Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread may be better suited to younger riders, or maybe not, but my Mom shit bricks when she found out I'd bought a bike! "you know those things are dangerous!" or, "you know your father did the same thing after I married him!" these are a just a few of her rants. just the experience I've had lately, I'm new to riding and just wanted to see what experiences you guys might've had. safe riding and keep your stick on the ice. will

·
Registered
81 Posts
You said it!![^] its pretty much the same here..was hell at first but now i guess she's used to it:D not like she had a choice ;)

Ride on!![}:)]

·
Registered
259 Posts
My mother told me not to come crying to her when I wreck.. I was like thank you for your support!

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I was told by my parents that if I bought one, I would be removed from the house. I had just graduated H.S. and wanted one. I went to the bank, got my own loan, and had a friend ride it home for me. (I didn't have my license yet) My parents asked if Chad got a new bike, I said "No, it was mine." They looked at each other, looked at me and said, "You had better wear a helmet!!" I left for college three months later and found out that my father had actually taken out more life insurnace on me. LOL!!

--David

·
Registered
111 Posts
My mom and dad were not happy campers when they found out I bought a bike. I work as a registered nurse, specializing in cancer care. Too many of my patients have told me that they have regrets because they didn't do certain things in life when they had a chance. I would never want "not having my bike" to be one of them. Thats what I told my mom and I think she understands now. Its all about living life to the fullest, even if there is some risk involved.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Amen metcalfr..

I feel bad because my mom worries herself sick about EVERYTHING (unfortunately I inherited that from her, so I can sympathize)... and I know she worries so much when I go out on my bike. I try not to make it any worse than necessary and try not to go out riding at night during the week anymore, because I know she apparently can't sleep until she knows I'm home safe and sound. With that said, I try to be considerate, but riding a motorcycle is a huge part of my life and it's really the only thing I enjoy anymore. I love her more than anything in the world, but she has to understand that my motorcycle is a part of me. I will be considerate, but I won't give up my bike.

·
Registered
391 Posts
my mom was against bikes all together. my dad used to ride them, so he didnt really care, but had to cause my mom did. well, my brother and i bought a 2003 SV650S and kept it at my cousins house. my mom found out cause she looked at my brothers bank statment and noticed the large amount of money missing. fortunately for my brother, he was at college, and i was still a senior in highschool, so he didnt have to listen to her yell and scream. she didnt talk to me for a week, no joke. she still cooked dinner, so i was fine with it haha. then, when i wanted my own bike (my current 05 636), i put a deposit on it, and went home, and told them i needed them to co-sign the loan for me. haha, you should have seen their faces. well, they my dad so-signed the loan, and even paid the rest of the bike off for me so i didnt have to pay collision. now i just have to pay him back the rest of the money whenever i can. paid him back for half already, next summer ill give him the rest. thats my bike/parent stories.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My mother is the same way. She lives in Wichita, Kansas and I live in Northern California. I called her up one day and told her that I was buying a bike and I needed her to hook me up with a loan. She is a loan officer at a bank. She was so mad, at first she said she wasn't going to help me out with the loan because she didn't want to contribute to me getting seriously hurt. But I am 1600 mi away from her and she can't do nothing about it, but just go with it. She even put collateral on her account so that I could get the loan. Such a caring mother which I love very much. I was 20 when I got the bike

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
It's gotta be a major conflict for them...

On one hand, they want you to have everything they want.

On the other hand, they don't want any harm to come to you.

My mom (88 years old) has never liked that I ride (she's much happier with my dirt riding), she knows how much I love it, and she accepts that I do it. Thinking of what would happen if I got seriously hurt or killed is part of what keeps my riding (relatively) sane.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just don't tell them, way less drama. If they don't buy it for you, and they don't support you, what right do they have to give you shit about it. Thats what I did.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my parents are doing almost all they can to stop me from buying my first bike, they've even gone to the lengths of showing me crach vids my dad finds on the net. Also, because of their hatred of bikes, i gotta do the loan thing by myself(currently waiting on approval), so if i dont get it which is possible, ill have to keep saving and buy a used bike in the winter. if i cant get the new zx-6r then il be going for an '01-'03 version.

·
Registered
122 Posts
when i first wanted to ride my mom was against it because of people she knew getting killed on them, but when i got my permit she came and got hers too and now she rides with me my brother and my dad so i dont have that problem any more

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Too many stories to tell here. I've been threatened in every way possible. I'd be thrown out of the house, my father would stop paying for college, I'd be taken out of my father's will, etc. etc. etc.

Initially it wasn't "too bad" cause I was at home and I just wouldn't tell my parents what I did. Then I told them that I'd be bringing it down to Washington DC, where I go to college. That's when the major shit storm started. Got into a fight basically every single day until finally they realized that this isn't a phase that I'm going through. It's something I'll be doing for the rest of my life.

When I crashed the first time, they were convinced I'd sell the bike. When I crashed the second time, they kinda got used to it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My mom put on the worry face but didn't say any thing. My dad had a big smile on his face and went out and bought one (cruiser) a week later. Hey at least you are starting small that should show her how responsible you are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, the fact that I bought a smaller bike made her a little happier, I'm just not letting her in on the planned upgrade in a year or two

·
Registered
44 Posts
my mother was anti-bike for the longest time, but couldn't do much when i came home with it. a day later she asked me for a ride on it. my dad was like "dont waste your money, buy a new car". the first day he saw it he hopped right on it. Got to love them for being the parents that they are.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Both my parents ride Harleys so of course they were THRILLED when I bught my ZX9 The main problem my mom has is she knows how I drive my car so she is scared of what I will do on a rocket. She's convinced as soon as i leave the house i'm doin like 200! I don't ride like that (all the time)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.