Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever ridden a Monster 600? I am not looking to replace my 636 but rather to let the woman ride it, race it, and occasionally ride it just for variety! Any impressions would be helpful.

Rhoades

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I was also considering buying one, but the maintenance alone was over my head. The cost of simply doing routine tasks on it run you about $700, where as on a Ninja it would only cost about $200. I was told that "Everybody should own one, but not as their only bike." So I would spend the money on something more useful, like a ZX7R or 9R or something along those lines.

·
Registered
363 Posts
A monster seems really cool to us here in the states but in europe the are just considered standards, nothing special. The police in parts of Italy used to ride the 900 monsters, so that kinda tells you that they are just normal bikes. Sorta like a nighthawk over here, except better looking. I would go with the new naked honda 600 they have been out in europe for many years and are very popular (they call um hornets) but they just started selling them over here. It is the little brother to the 919. Or there is always the sv650 another good bike. Either of these two will be cheaper and out perform the little monster.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Nice bike but grossly underpowered. I have a friend with one and he constantly talks about how he wants to get rid of it. He just doesn't have the money for a bike payment and not the best of credit either. He's very unhappy with it. I would say get the 900 if you get any monster. Otherwise you may end up with the same problem. The other problem, as stated, the services are extremely expensive as compared to other bikes. I worked at a Ducati dealer here in Las Vegas and it was not rare to see an $800 service. You would be much better off buying an SV650 or something comparable. Moto Guzzi makes a very nice 750 at a cheap price it's called the Breva. Most aren't selling well and you may be able to pick one up cheap. Along the same lines, the Buell XB9's aren't selling well either so they are going extremely cheap. Around here you see them for around 7000 new. Search around a bit more. Unless you're getting an unbelievable deal like my buddy did, look around for something better.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Suzuki SV 650 is a much better bike, the 600 Monster is underpowered and overpriced. If you do get one, make sure you change the cam belts every 4k miles. The book says 8k but I had one delaminate with only 5k. Top end rebuild :(:(

·
Registered
940 Posts
I second that on the underpowered statements.....my buddy's got a 750 and it's well underpowered.....decent amount of torque, but that goes for any V-twin....

clutch was a little stiff as well....

I agree with whoever brought up the Hornet...that's supposed to be a niiiice bike...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would mainly use it as race bike!!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I hear Kawasaki makes a nice bike called the Z1000 :D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
screw the sv!! get the new yamaha fzr600!! the one with half fairings and the detuned R6 engine!! that thing looks sweet and should satisfy racing needs..and speaking of racing it...why don't you just get a race bike then!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't think it would be much of a race bike. In the 600 class any multi will toast it. The handling will be OK but will need a determined approach.

I had one of the new FZR 600s for a day recently. Great fairing, good engine and the worst gearbox of any bike I have ever ridden. At town speeds it was clunky, notchy and downright nasty. Got a bit better when revs rose but it spoiled the bike for me.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The new FZR 600 you guys are talking about is called the FZ6. I ended up buying the MOnster. It will be running in a class mostly against GS500's. SHould be a blast, I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Mmmm... such sweet memories of a chiquita on a Duc Monster. Last year at Mid-Ohio, there was this feminina sporting a baby blue bikini top, cut off shorts, sandals and braided pigtails cruising the grounds.

Never did get the change to say hello to her though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.