Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you ride a moped without gear or would you treat it kinda like a motercycle? Now I'm not saying full leather but helmet, maybe long pants idk.. In the last week or so I've seen several moped riders one being a girl who went crossing the intersection I was stopped at with a cell phone wedged between her head and her shoulder, in a skirt, with no helmet. The other guy I saw went buzzing down the road, no helmet again, and a coffe cup in one hand. If you guys were to go out riding a moped how would you treat it, being that we all ride big kid bikes and no the dangers of being on the road with only two wheels?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I saw one in Reno the other day riding on the wrong side of the road and helmetless. Dumb. Those little 49 cc scooters are getting popular in my area, and that's fine. But put a helmet on and obey the rules of the road.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
25,704 Posts
mopeds do what, 35mph? Let's see, head versus concrete at 35 mph...yep concrete still wins.
I like that two wheel vehicles are becoming more popular, I don't like that there doesn't seem to be the requisite training to go along with the additional riders.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't have to take anything like the MSF course for mopeds correct? Can't anyone hop on it and go? Seems kinda silly, you can still wreck your shit at 30mph. And frankly moped is harder to see then a motercycle. They are becoming very popular among college kids in the area I'm at as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I'm not saying full leather but helmet, maybe long pants idk..
Did I say they needed full gear? No I said maybe a helmet or long pants.any differences between a moped which is motorized vehicle and a peddle bike. Cyclists wear bicycle helmets all the time. They don't have the option to wear leather because they would over heat. To make a bicycle go you have to use your own bodies energy which causes heat. Wearing full gear isn't a option, you would over heat. But a moped still uses gears, gas, and is a machine which means it's doing the work for you. So yea the weather might be hot but it's just as hot for regular motercycle riders and most people here would agree you should always wear your gear. Don't throw irrational points in this post.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,562 Posts
So should road cyclists wear leathers/long pants/body armor?

:confused: Where did this come from? :dunno:

Did I say they needed full gear? No I said maybe a helmet or long pants.any differences between a moped which is motorized vehicle and a peddle bike. Cyclists wear bicycle helmets all the time. They don't have the option to wear leather because they would over heat. To make a bicycle go you have to use your own bodies energy which causes heat. Wearing full gear isn't a option, you would over heat. But a moped still uses gears, gas, and is a machine which means it's doing the work for you. So yea the weather might be hot but it's just as hot for regular motercycle riders and most people here would agree you should always wear your gear. Don't throw irrational points in this post.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
25,704 Posts
So should road cyclists wear leathers/long pants/body armor?
I have a dent in my head that says at the very least they should probably wear a helmet.

·
1,905 Posts
Sad part about the moped/scooter riders around here is, if the DO have a helmet, they ride with it up on the very top of their head.... we guess knowing that if they crash, they always land on the very top of their noggin and push the helmet into proper position just in time to save their life.... LOL

·
Pursebully
37,566 Posts
:confused: Where did this come from? :dunno:

:popcorn:
The only difference between a road bike and a scooter is the power source.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't have to take anything like the MSF course for mopeds correct? Can't anyone hop on it and go? Seems kinda silly, you can still wreck your shit at 30mph. And frankly moped is harder to see then a motercycle. They are becoming very popular among college kids in the area I'm at as well.
The laws vary by state, but most require the moped have less than 50cc or go less than 30mph before they require a license registration and insurance. You also have to have a valid driver's license.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,562 Posts
The only difference between a road bike and a scooter is the power source.

Well, yea but that's a pretty big difference. A moped is closer to a motorcycle than a bicycle is to a moped and as the OP said, he never stated moped riders should wear leathers and body armor. Still not sure why you brought bicycles into the discussion. I know, I know.....inorite?

·
Pursebully
37,566 Posts
Well, yea but that's a pretty big difference. A moped is closer to a motorcycle than a bicycle is to a moped and as the OP said, he never stated moped riders should wear leathers and body armor. Still not sure why you brought bicycles into the discussion. I know, I know.....inorite?
Just pointing out that the dangers of getting hit by a car should be about equal between the two. If I were riding a moped I wouldn't be wearing gear...helmet, possibly but that'd be it. If I were riding a bike, I wouldn't be wearing gear...not even a helmet.

·
Powerhungry
37,708 Posts
getting hit by a car maybe. but, sliding down the road?
unless you're REALLY pushing hard, you arent going to get a bicycle anywhere near even moped speeds. and for sure you wont sustain it if you do.

i wont wear a helmet on my bicycle either, but i dont ride with traffic either.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
im pretty sure its either 125cc or 250cc before you have to licene and register it. most of the other shit is illegal and cops just dont care about it.

mots moped riders are just like most people. they dont know shit about hte consequences.

they should wear a helmet but once again they dont know any better.

as for bicycles helmets. i think they are retarded and cannot see how they can work. if you fall direct on the top of your head, youre falling wrong.

and sub 30 miles, shit will hurt but you wont die. theres a reason why most car speeds limits are @ 30 in populated areas.

getting hit by a car maybe. but, sliding down the road?
unless you're REALLY pushing hard, you arent going to get a bicycle anywhere near even moped speeds. and for sure you wont sustain it if you do.

i wont wear a helmet on my bicycle either, but i dont ride with traffic either.
i got a ticket for riding on the sidewalk and not in the streets with cars.

first time rding a bicycle in over 10 years and that shit happened.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just pointing out that the dangers of getting hit by a car should be about equal between the two.
Going by this logic with damgers of getting hit by a car is equal then pedestrians should walk around in body armor and helmets, and should have a blinky light on their hats too...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
lol at you bicycle guys. My bro rides a street (racing style) bicycle and hits average speeds of up to 40-45 km/h (25-28km/h) and he's not even maxing out. He fell last week going down some twisty roads and messed himself up real bad. I would say glocken, your reasoning that bicycle helmets are useless is quite ridiculous...and I usually agree with most of the stuff you say. If you are travelling 20-ish miles an hour and a car going in the opposite direction at around 30-35mph hits you, then a) you don't know how you will fall/what part of your body you will fall on and B) you will be travelling hella fast because it's as if you were standing still and a car hit you at 55 mph (simple physics) so yeah that will fuck you up...

The way people around here drive, I don't blame my brother for wearing a helmet on his bike and if I biked I would wear a helmet too...you'd be stupid not to.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Going by this logic with damgers of getting hit by a car is equal then pedestrians should walk around in body armor and helmets, and should have a blinky light on their hats too...
no, now you are falling into the 'slippery slope' or snowball effect fallacy of arumentation, which is not a credible argument...look it up if you don't know what I mean.

·
Pursebully
37,566 Posts
Exactly. I wouldn't wear a helmet (or other protective gear) while walking down the street. I wouldn't wear one on a bicycle. I wouldn't wear one (unless required by law) on a moped. Yes, a skinned elbow will sting for a bit, but I couldn't tell you how many skinned body parts I've had from crashing my bicycle.

Keep in mind that I don't live in LA. I live in a town of 350 people and my commute to work is ~1/2 mile. Traffic here is virtually non-existent. Even if I lived in a populated city, I wouldn't ride a moped on busy streets....it would be short trips here & there. The same type of trips that I would normally use a bicycle for.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bottom line is. If you get hit by another vehicle regardless of what your in/on (feet, bike, motercycle, moped, another car) you have the "potential" to get seriously hurt or killed. Not saying it is going to happen, and not saying gear is going to save you. Every crash is different, the outcomes are not predicable, there are many variables to each. But wearing the right gear only increases your chances. The point i was trying to make was that they were not only not wearing protective clothing but they were making the choice to drink coffee and talk on the phone both of which are distracting. It's dangerous enough to eat and drive a car let alone on a two wheeled vehicle. It just amazes me at how careless some people are. And even though they are endangering themselves they are also putting others at risk and that's not cool either.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts