Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this article in our community paper (AIM Action News, Sept. 3, 2003). Bear in mind, West Milford is a sleepy, ruralish community in Northern New Jersey. The only excitement we get here is when the bears root through my garbage... literally ...

======================================================================

"BAR OWNER ALLEGES POLICE HARASSMENT
Police insist they were protecting community

It was one of the first nice weekends of the summer, and unfortunately one of the last - the weekend before Labor Day. Reflections Lakes Inn, a local bar, had scheduled a pig roast, swap meet and bands all afternoon and into the night. Couples with young children played games and looked at the offerings of vendors that lined the driveway. Older folks enjoyed the food and sun. Over the course of the day, over 430 patrons participated in the festivities. What made this different from other events of the same type, according to police, is that it was an event for bikers.
According to Kathy Spiak, owner of Reflections, the presence of police up and down Union Valley Road, on Route 23 and along other local, county and state roads marred and otherwise perfect event, "stressing out" her customers, some of whom she alleges called their frineds and told them not to come because they didn't know what the police were going to do.
Police covered every access road to thr bar, according to one witness, and on the New York border at Warwick Turnpike as many police cars gathered at one time. Witnesses have said that there were multiple inspections by police on the roads leading to Reflections stopping every motorcyclist, looking at his or her license and photographing the driver and bike. A rider could be stopped, witnesses reported, coming in from New York at the Utopia Deli on Warwick Turnpike, for instance, and again in the town of West Milford near the police station and finally at the entrance of Relfections Lakes Inn. State and County police were reported inspecting motorcycles on Route 23 and Union Valley Roads. Being stopped once was no "free ride" on that beautiful Saturday.
Spiak claims that a number of bikers have sent letters to Ed Jakubowski at Unique Cycles expressing their anger over the police presence and that a number of them have claimed that they were harassed by officers on the roads.
"They were telling people not to come to Reflections. It definitely hurt my business. I feel really bad for the people that have never heard of Reflections who went out on a beatuful day taking a ride and were just pulled over. One guy," Spiak claims, " was pulled over and asked where he was going, 'To the Mountain Rest.' 'You sure you're not going tto Reflections?' the cop asked. "No. Why? What's Reflections? Is it illegal to go there?' 'No, but your helmet is.' he said and gave him a ticket."
When Spiak met with Cheif James Dykstra and Captain Dave Hardin of the West Milford Police Department to discuss security for the event, which included a bike show, Captain Hardin asked her to hire a regular patrolman at $70 per hour to direct traffic and Chief Dykstra agreed.
"I was surprised by this," said Spiak "I was prepared to hire a "special" officer at $25 an hour, but I didn't understand why I needed anything more."
"I told her I wanted a regular officer because of the type of group it was, and the type of function," said Captain Hardin in an interview last Wednesday. "Over the years, there has been trouble at these types of events. People have been killed, not in West Milford, but at this kind of event. We've had problems with parking complaints and noise complaints at that curve. Parked cars can create a hazard. We didn't want to be overbearing, just protective and prepared. We were concerned for public welfare."
So Spiak made arrangements to hire a police officer at $70 per hour to direct traffic.
When she arrived at the bar at 7 the morning of Aug. 23 to begin roasting the pig, Spiak was suprised to see two policemen parked at the head of her driveway, which leads into the five acres of land on which the bar is situated and for which she has a five-acre liquor permit. At 8:30 she went out to get coffee and found one of the officers standing on the trunk of his car taking pictures of everyone who came onto her property. " I was talking to the other officer and a bike pulled in," she said. "He stopped talking to me to write down the plate number. This went on all day, with everyone, not just biker, who came onto my property - in a car, truck ot bike."
"Ar 10:30, I had a lot of bike clubs getting upset, " Spiak said, "so I went down to the street. Now there were two cars and three officers. I told them that I was upset, that I had hired one traffic cop and already there were three West Milford police officers here and one of them said 'I'm not from West Milford.' ' Well, then, where?' I asked him, 'Roxbury[ which is a good distance away.. 5-10 minutes ],' he said."
Spiak immediatelu tried to contact Lt. Costello, the lieutenant whos name she said she was given by the department.
Within a few hours, "there were more state troopers, more Passaic County Sheriff's patrolmen and more local police than I have ever seen in a day up here," Spiak claimed, " and I've lived here for years. I moved away but came back to raise my children here."
"I expected the one traffic cop. I certainly didn't expect any others, and I was upset necause I had said to Dykstra that if they thought something was going to happen, I needed them to share it with me so I could've called people and said, "This is how my town is going to handle this, do you still want to come? They were not given that option," she said "and neither was I." .......

======================================================================

The article goes on to say she needed to hire a policeman because of the size and type of crowd it was. The captain told her he wasn't responsible for other County, State and other town's police showing up, they must've come on their own beacause of her advertising and the type of event and that those cops were going to be in the area anyway.

The event was run by Cycle Lords in New York (a club backed/approved by the Hell's Angels according to the article) and that "credible information" caused the police to go to lengths they did in order to protect the community.

I wasn't there, but apparently there were alot of cruiser clubs' colors shown that day. Sounds like the pig roasts / poker runs I myself have been to, except for the overwhelming police presence. Before I got a Ninja (now I don't think I'd fit in to well ;)), they were a great deal of fun to go to -- good food, good times, never witnessed any serious illegal activity OR violence.

This sounded to me like the cops abusing their power a little too much, definitely harassment - if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Sounds like harassment to me too. The bad thing is the police will say they were only trying to protect the community.[:M87]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote....

"The only excitement we get here is when the bears root through my garbage... literally ..."

The term "root" means something totaly different here in Australia! lmao..... :D Sounds...dirty!! tehehe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.