Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading an article in Streetbike Mag on the Kwaka Z1000 stock it has 118hp - after a pipe instalment, a different header attached, and minor fuel ratio adjustments they got 127hp no re-mapping or anything they belive the Z1000 can be tuned alot more than any other bike i was wondering if the '03 636 can do the same anyone done any engine or air box mods or anything to gain HP besides the obvious exhaust etc...????

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Those double-barrelled twin exhaust pipes on the Z1000 are particularly restrictive... and the goal was image before performance, which is one reason why it's so easy to recoup some power from the Z1000. Also, the compression ratio on the Z was lowered from the ZX9R in order to create a less-peaky more-durable engine...

The 636 has been tuned (almost) to the moon by the engineers because every tenth of a second is gold in the 600 supersport class. You can still gain some horsepower through aftermarket exhausts and fuel management / ignition systems, and if you REALLY need more, play around with cams and pistons and springs and so on and so forth, or just wait for the ZX10R next year.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Originally posted by dj dunzie

if you REALLY need more, play around with cams and pistons and springs and so on and so forth, or just wait for the ZX10R next year.
Has anyone had any experience with different cams for the zx6r? I don't really want to screw with pistons since it already has plenty of compression. Any recomendations?

·
Registered
671 Posts
more important, has anyone played with the stock adjustable cams on the new 6R? I might over the winter, depending on how cold it get, and how little I can ride.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As far as I can remember, retarding or advancing cam timing by 3deg. will etiher move your peak horsepower up or down by about a thousand rpm. I can't remember which does what.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
With the midrange the 636 offers, I don't think I'd want to move peak power UP any. I love the fact I am pulling bike lengths on same-gear roll-ons before first shift on any other 600. That's the thing that, to me, makes the 636 feel bigger-bore. An aftermarket exhaust gives you a little better over-rev too, which is one thing I felt the bike lacked in stock form. If you weren't quick and precise enough in your shifts, you were losing time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi guys in reply to more horsepower what about changing sprocket ratios,i have just bought a f2 96zx6r about a month ago with a full yoshimura exhaust and the owner i bought it off gave me an oring chain with bike so i have changed chain and sprockets,i was going to get a front sprocket with one tooth removed by for the sake of availability i ended up getting a rear sprocket with 4 more teeth,talk about a difference,the front used to lift a little in 1st before now any reasonable amount of throttle will make front go light or hike right up , i love it,just wondering guys do the new 636's power lift the front wheel easily if u give it a bit of revs or do u have to clutch it etc.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Changing sprockets doesn't affect HORSEPOWER though, although you're right it dramatically affects the power delivery. And to answer your question, since I have NO trouble lofting the front end under power at 220 pounds, the 636 has MORE than enough grunt to easily hoist clutch-less wheelies anytime.

As for the full/slip-on question Foxy, even a slip-on improves the top end over-rev slightly, but yeah Speedv's right, more dramatic gains with a full system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.