Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just made the boost tube and the intake plenum. i put them on to make sure that everything fits so far. right now some of it is spot welded together, i will probably try to finish all of the welding tomorrow and start on the dump pipe. i will keep sending pics as i go if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
361 Posts
how much boost are you planning on it to have??? can you make me one please??? i bet i could smoke a friends 954 with that bolted on!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i will keep the pics coming.i am planning on 8 or 9 pounds of boost. i am expecting it to make around 170 or 180 rear wheel. i hope it would outrun a 954, if it doesn't i will be upset(lol). with it's power to weight ratio i am planning on it being able to outrun any stock bike and maybe slightly modded 12's and busa's. we will see.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i hope you aren't plannnig on running 180+HP through the stock internals on that motor...

and are you planning on this being a just a "sleeper" drag bike, or are you still going to run it on a day to day basis through twisties and such? I would think the turbo lag on a 600SS would be pretty bad and make for a unenjoyable day to day ride...

ofcourse this is very very cool so keep us posted!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just curious,but why is the bike being turbo'd red(front fender color)
and your bike is chromed with blue?Just wondering[?]

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
andy, i am planning on it holding up on the stock motor. it should be fine if i stay under 9 pounds of boost like on any other stock motor be it car or bike. well if it doesn't hold up i guess i will set it up right the second time around, we will see. stkygrn, the red bike is a bike that i picked up from the auction just to build the turbo on and tune it. when i get it fine tuned i will transfer it to the chromed bike.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It is a neat project, but it would be much more worth wile to do this to a liter bike both for the results and liveleyhood of the engine.

I will have to agree with Andy here, 180 seems a bit high for stock internals aepecially the bottom end. For this project, why not stick with a 6RR if you're leaving stock internals. The 6RR has heavier bottom end components as it is built with more or less an expectation to be modified to compete in the 600 bracket. Where as the 6r is above spec and probably more geared to be run as-is.

·
Registered
361 Posts
well i dont care what anyone else says can i get one from ya!!!!! or what kind of turbo are you using??? i could make my own

·
Registered
93 Posts
SteveP,You have two '03's?Your making me more jealous by the moment
(J,K)Anyways keep us posted and good luck on the project;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
madgamer, are you saying that the 6r motor is junk? the size of the motor doesnt make it junk, i can put 12 or 14 pounds of boost to a stock busa motor and turn it into a grenade. as i said before any stock motor should take 9 pounds of boost and be reliable. i am doing this to a six to be different and to stomp some big bike ass just because it would be fun. i have had a turbo gsxr that made over 300hp and a 1397 busa that made around 200hp and a 1270 zx12 with a dry shot that made 197hp. i am bored with the big bikes. NIXHEX32 i am like you i don't care much either, i just thought it would be coll to do it to a six since no one ever does it. it is an air research turbo which is actually a garrett. yes build your own, that is the only way to go. buying a kit from one of the dicks that sells them sucks. after those assholes get your money the act like you dont exist, HAHN RACECRAFT gave me my bad experience. STKYGRN yes 2 but i am only keeping one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
damn that shit is gonna rape other bikes on the street. you need to get some video footage of that thing when it's done. i wanna see it in action just like everyone else on this board im sure :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LEE,i hope it runs as good as i am planning for it to. KELVIN, i will keep you posted on the progress. a turbo kit usually runs around 4000.00 and up from just about anyone that sells them. i purchased all of the parts and am making all of the plumbing myself. i should have around 1200.00 in this one.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Steve, I think you misread me slightly... I am in now way stating that the 6r motor is junk!! I think its common knowledge that Kawi makes some of the best engines and trannies out there. The only think I was pointing out is that 600cc motors have less room for error and less room to be pushed as they are already tapped quite far, and the other thing was that the crank on the 6rr is heavier than the one on the 6r so it could seemingly stand a bit more abuse.

Overall I will admit that I am quite interested in your project and can't wait to see the end results. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MADGAMER, ok. i just misread. like i said before i am not sure what it will take, i might blow it to pieces but it should be ok as long as i dont beat on it too much. the reason to do the little six is to abuse to big bikes(that will be the fun part).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why not put some flange fittings somewhere on that intake assembly to make it a little easier to dismantle...there's hardly any pressure drop oscross those and you should be able to find some matching metals.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
STEVE, the intake is just as easy to get off as the stock air box, what do you mean? the metal is all the same,it is exhaust pipe. i am not sure what you mean by pressure drop or why i should be cocerned with it. i have only had one turbo before and this is all new to me. i am assuming that the intake plenum will be pressurized constantly and i don't want any pressure drop which will cause loss of boost but maybe you think i am doing something wrong, i will take any advice i can get if something looks wrong,,steve p.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Steve

Before becoming critical I'd like to say go for it, ten points for giving it a go. It will obviously work, but how well and for how long are the questions.

Number one rule here is the old saying "KISS" no not "Keep it Simple Stupid" but rather "Keep it Symetrical Silly". Unless you have some tricky internals the design of your plenum chamber is going to cause endless tunning problems with cylinders 3 & 4 running much leaner than 1 & 2, you really need to spread the air flow evenly. I would have been inclined to run a small intercooler and try to pressurise the original airbox. If not think about installing some form of deflector inside the chamber so you are not dumping the air directly on 3 & 4 or build a bigger chamber and move the inlet away from the inlet tubes.
As far as the exhaust manifold is concerned most of what you gain in boost you will loose in exhaust inefficiency, go and buy a second hand manifold from an old GPz750 Turbo and mofify it to fit yours.................. What do I know anyway, after all you are the one with the balls big enough to actualy do it.

Best of luck, if nothing else you will have a heap of fun, hope you can afford the tyre bill.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.