Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, ive been riding my 100% stock EX250 for almost 3 months now, and im ready to make it a bit faster. What are some cheap mods i can do to make it a little funner to ride? I plan on upgrading (probably to a 500r) soon, but cant quite afford it yet. Im 19 and in college.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
you can't really "add" power, per se, but you can move the power band around a bit.

first, let me ask: are you consistently running the bike above 7500 rmp? peak hp for the 2.5 is between 7 and 10 grand. so start with that technique if you don't do it already. the bike is VERY fun (even stock) if you keep the rpms up all the time.

next, get rid of your stock tyres if you haven't done it already. get a set of pirelli sport demons. they will cost you about $175 plus mount and balance. when the bike sticks to the road better, it will feel faster and more in control, which equals more fun!

after that, your only real option for any kind of hp increase is to get the muzzy full system exhaust (muzzy says 10-15%, which in our case is between 2 & 4 ponies) when you do that, you'll need to move the jets up to stage 3 and put a k&n air filter in the airbox. total, that mod will run you about $600 ($400- muzzy, $90- jet kit, $60- air cleaner) if you buy it all new. i bought a muzzy with about 5 hours on it off some dude on the starboyz.com board for $150.

other great "fun mods":

swap your stock fork oil with 15 wt repsol and replace the shock with a shock from an ex500 (run you six buck on ebay)- this mod will make your suspension stiffer and allow you to dial it in for your weight.

woodcraft rearsets: move your seating position back a little- now you can sit up or lay down, your choice. will also solve that nasty problem with the ground clearance where your stock footpegs drag on the ground if you get low in a turn.

double bubble windscreen- looks sweet and will help with that nasty wind gusty you get on the highway.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's going to be slow in a straight line no matter what you do to it. But that's the tradeoff you make for a bike that maneuvers and handles better than most bikes out there, gets better fuel economy, is cheaper to insure, maintain, and repair, and costs less to buy initially. You can go with a bigger bike, but you will be trading off a lot of things that make the 250 so much fun, and paying a lot more to do it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by marshmallow

first, let me ask: are you consistently running the bike above 7500 rmp? peak hp for the 2.5 is between 7 and 10 grand. so start with that technique if you don't do it already. the bike is VERY fun (even stock) if you keep the rpms up all the time.
No it's not. It makes peak power closer to 11-12K RPMs...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by marshmallow

swap your stock fork oil with 15 wt repsol and replace the shock with a shock from an ex500 (run you six buck on ebay)- this mod will make your suspension stiffer and allow you to dial it in for your weight.
Don't replace with an ex500 rear shock. The spring is softer and you can't stiffen it with the collar. The adjustment is preload which only adjusts sag and has nothing to do with the stiffness of the spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was also considering rebuilding the motor. Is rebuilding bike motors harder than car motors? ive rebuild a few honda motors, so as long as its the same thing on a smaller scale (with half the parts) i think i could handle it. I know its not gonna gain me much power, but it would give me some piece of mind, and i could start modding a fresh engine.

its a 2001 with just about 40k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Originally posted by Kalvin00

No it's not. It makes peak power closer to 11-12K RPMs...
not that i don't believe you, but mine seems to run best and has that "sweet spot" feel right about 10. of course, i'm stg 3 jetted and full exhaust swap + k&n, so i may e mistaken about the bike stock.

Originally posted by jjsacid

Don't replace with an ex500 rear shock. The spring is softer and you can't stiffen it with the collar. The adjustment is preload which only adjusts sag and has nothing to do with the stiffness of the spring.
i beg to differ. i switched to the 500 spring after 12,000 miles and it is stuffer and offers me better control, paired with the 15 wt fork oil in the front springs.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
canton, eh?

would you like to ride rt 93 down to zanesville and back with me and some of my mates?

meet up is at the bolivar / zoar exit on 77 s- there's a dq there. we'll be a red monster, a green speed triple, a silver 250 and a blue katana.

:)

do you think my dyno curve is the same of different with all my mods?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sounds great! I have ridden through there a few times. I have been trying to find some time to ride SR 800 down to the WV border with my fiancee. Give me an email or something next time you go and if I am available I will give it a go.

As for your powerband, I don't think a rejet and exhaust would change it much. Usually the curve is determined by the cams more than anything. It's possible that you run into lean conditions at top and it can feel like it is losing power though. Find a place that does dyno testing and get it tested. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.