Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cheapest and easiest route is to go from a 15T front to a 14T front sprocket. Front sprockets are relatively cheap, $20-$40 depending on brand. You will lose about 10 mph top end. You don't need to get a new chain. Going down one tooth in front is about the same as going up 3 teeth in the back. You can usually get by with going up 2 teeth in back using the stock lenght chain. Probably the maximum you can go without getting a new chain is down 1 in front and up two in back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by swjohnsey

The cheapest and easiest route is to go from a 15T front to a 14T front sprocket. Front sprockets are relatively cheap, $20-$40 depending on brand. You will lose about 10 mph top end. You don't need to get a new chain. Going down one tooth in front is about the same as going up 3 teeth in the back. You can usually get by with going up 2 teeth in back using the stock lenght chain. Probably the maximum you can go without getting a new chain is down 1 in front and up two in back.
I wanted to change the chain out with a new one. If i buy a rear sprocket what is the differenc in speed and power. i don't know any thing about this. Is there a place were i can find all this iformantion out. I thank for the info.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
If you want a new chain too, go ahead and buy one. He was just saying that you can use a chain of the same LENGTH as stock, so if you buy a one tooth smaller sprocket in front and buy a new chain, make sure the chain is the same length as your stock one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to change sprokets to get more power for easier wheelies. I can do them now but i want to be able to do it easier. I am not interested in the speed that much i figure if i loses 30 mph i will still be at 130 which is okay with me. Should i change one or both. I was going to get a chain to. which style would be the best. Im new to the motorcycle game but i am hooked. Thank you for your responses

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was have heard that changing the front sproket causes vibrations that is why i wanted the rear sprocket. Is this true.
How do you post a pic of your bike on this site?
thanks for the responses

·
Registered
316 Posts
Never heard anything about the front sprocket causing vibrations. The front is easier to change than the rear. Depending on how many teeth you go up in the back depends on how much easier wheelies will be to pull. You don't need to change both sprockets, unless you are really having a hard time doing wheelies, which I cannot see possible. If you change the sprocket on the front, and drop a tooth, you will see a noticable difference. Then if it isn't enough, you can change the rear. If you change them both, you might find that you will have made it where you can pull a wheelie really easy, but you will go through the gears like crazy, and take more off your top end than you really need to. I say try one sprocket at a time. It is going to cost you the same whether you do them together or separate anyhow. Good luck. ;)

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont know what Kawi comes stock with, but Im guessing 525. If you want to switch it out anyways, I suggest going to a 520 setup. It s alittle lighter and you will get a little more out of it. If it already comes stock 520, disregard what I just said

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, stock is 525.

I'm running 14 in front and have developed some fairly irritating vibration. I couldn't say for sure if it's from the smaller sprocket or not. Regardless, I'm planning to go back to stock in the front and up two in the rear once my chain wears out. I want to back it off just a touch for highway riding.

----------------------
Dave Lee
Red '02

·
Registered
572 Posts
Changing the front causes more friction and power loss. Friction is an HP robber!! I would go up in the back two or three teeth. Just my 2 cents.

PGH, PA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.