Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was pulled over today at 0545 because I was "blinding other drivers with my brights on." I also "don't have a inspection sticker displayed", although I do have some type of piece of paper with adhesive on it, a year/month stamp, within 6 inches of my license plate to the rear of the motorcycle that is displaying something.

I was informed that Haltom City, TX PD has a Zero Tolerance program with "Bullet bikes", and "Bullet bikes" only. If that sounds stereotypical and prejudice to you, there is a complaint line at Haltom PD, which was recommended by the officer. Apparently, the Captain who pulled me over is tired of his "older" men dying in police chases that are following all the "bullet bikes" doing 160mph down 820. He is tired of "Bullet bikes" running from his men, and they are not tolerating it anymore, as implied by pulling over the guy that has commuted next to him for 2 years now, with the same exact set-up I've always had. I was not aware that Crown Vics, Dodge Chargers, Chevrolet Tahoes/Suburbans, and Harley Davidson cruisers could move at speeds near 160mph, and I assume all these "chases" involve felonys of some sort, which involve much more usefull information than license plate information for when an officer happens to spot a felon, on accident.

I will no longer be traveling through Haltom City, I will no longer fill up my motorcycle or by snacks/beer at the same gas stations I do in Haltom City every single day. I will most likely be moving my license plate back to the stock position, since I'm tired of cops altering the laws to round up law abiding citizens. If you need to pull someone over to check their I.D., then do it for that reason, but I have a copy of Texas State Statutes in my pocket all times displaying all the laws that I am NOT breaking.

As for the headlights, I turned off my brights as requested, and if I have a problem with driving without my brights on, I should get a car or walk, per the officer. I will be purchasing the brightest dual filament HID's acceptable by law and installing them in both headlight housings, as well as get a new inspection sticker with that set-up and carry the reciepts for both the headlights and the inspection sticker with me, for when I get pulled over for blinding others legally.

Apparently, all "bullet bikes" run from cops, and all cops are assholes.

:rolleyes:

P.S. - Thanks for the tips, neighbor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That sucks. But let me cheer you up. I parked the ZED at the local theater Saturday in a spot I have parked a hundred times. It's not in a parking spot, but in an huge area that has the lines across it next to a parking spot. I bet everyone has done this that owns a motorcycle. I received a parking ticket for $253.00. I was informed that I was blocking a handicap access area. This spot is probably 50 yards from the entrance. Yaaaa, riiight.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks. But let me cheer you up. I parked the ZED at the local theater Saturday in a spot I have parked a hundred times. It's not in a parking spot, but in an huge area that has the lines across it next to a parking spot. I bet everyone has done this that owns a motorcycle. I received a parking ticket for $253.00. I was informed that I was blocking a handicap access area. This spot is probably 50 yards from the entrance. Yaaaa, riiight.

No offense, but the law does state that all that area that is striped is for Handicapped use, so even if it sounds riduculous, it's the law. You should know your laws and fight the bogus stuff, but I'm sorry the only help you will get is lieniency from the judge for misinterpretting the law. Handicap zones and parking spots are state/fed property as soon as they are painted in that way.

Next time, park against the building, and as long as no one from the property owners asks you to leave, the cops cannot touch your bike. Don't forget to keep your stuff legit though, because they can sit there and wait for you to leave and throw the book at you as soon as you leave the lot. This is how I park when I visit the grocery stores and stuff.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Umm....if it was lines next to a handicap spot, then yes, you were. Doesn't matter how far from the entrance it was, if it is marked off for handicap, don't park there. That ticket is rightfully deserved if you did. Go find one of the threads about parking that was here earlier.

As for the OP, that does suck. Sorry to hear. Unfounded prejudice is a bummer. And their men are dying chasing a ike like that because they are one of the factors that led to the increased speeds. And not all "bullet bikes" can reach 160mph. My poor lil 250 can't.

And the police there are using flawed logic. Just because criminals prefer supersport bikes, does not mean all supersport bikes are criminals. Tell them they need to go take philosphy and ethics classes again.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tell them they need to go take philosphy and ethics classes again.

I had the urge to remind the officer that those who flee are fleeing because they have similar stereotypical views of officers like himself, but I just shut-up because he seemed to be escalating the situation, since at the flip of a switch I was legit. I had to be at work and wasn't gonna argue my point, which could have gone all day.

I feel sorry for the predominatly Black and Mexican residents of Haltom City, as well. I sure would like to see their faces when they're told they're be pulled over because all of the minorities are shooting each other over there.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Trig, that just sucks. Here in Massachusetts the RMV highly recommends the use of high beams during the day for motorcyclists. If you go with a bright HID, you'll probably be pulled over weather it's legal or not with the attitudes towards sportbikes down your way. I'd think about installing a headlight modulator, but of course first check your local laws to make sure those are legal.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
"bullet bikes" ONLY, huh? And did you record this on your cellphone for use in the discrimination suit you plan on bringing, against the city, his department, and him, personally? Any shyster worth his salt would be able to get yo a NICE fat settlement on this kind of thing...

·
Banned
45 Posts
There are laws in all 50 states about dimming headlights.

Actually cops usually use that law to stop and bust people that are DUI. They use the fact that they failed to dim their lights as probably cause for the inital stop that eventually lead to the DUI bust.

06R to 08R

www.ticketkiller.net

Always turn your lights ON "at night" (don't drive with lights off in dark in an automobile)

Always dim your lights to oncoming traffic

Always stay in your lane. (failure to maintain lane)

Those 3 items lead to more DUI busts than any other traffic violations.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"bullet bikes" ONLY, huh? And did you record this on your cellphone for use in the discrimination suit you plan on bringing, against the city, his department, and him, personally? Any shyster worth his salt would be able to get yo a NICE fat settlement on this kind of thing...
No, I didn't record the conversation, but sometimes I wonder if I should, since everytime I try to be polite, I end up being the one with an attitude...Yea I got an attitude, you pulled me over for bullsh*t, you want to write me a tickets for bullsh*t, and you want to stand there and lecture me like you are above me because of your job title. I'm always polite at first, but bullsh*t doesn't sit well with me, and I don't think I'm the only one out there like this.

I don't have any need for any kind of settlement, and I'm content with knowing there are two different highways I can take instead of the current ones, which are almost the exact same distance, same traffic, and avoid Haltom City completely.

Stuff like this will haunt them, one person at a time.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
There are laws in all 50 states about dimming headlights.

Actually cops usually use that law to stop and bust people that are DUI. They use the fact that they failed to dim their lights as probably cause for the inital stop that eventually lead to the DUI bust.

06R to 08R

www.ticketkiller.net

Always turn your lights ON "at night" (don't drive with lights off in dark in an automobile)

Always dim your lights to oncoming traffic

Always stay in your lane. (failure to maintain lane)

Those 3 items lead to more DUI busts than any other traffic violations.

I know the laws on headlights and brights, but I chose to, "See, and be seen". Had I gotten a ticket, I would have deserved it completely because it is a law, but the post was not about the laws I had or had not broken, merely the outlook of the Haltom City Police Department. Would it be too stereotypical of me to think that the entire department shares the same views there "Captain" does?

Xenon and HID headlights are legal (to an extent), and much brighter than headlights. I have two years of commuting to make up for riding around with my brights on 100% of the time, and I hope my soon to be brighter headlights will help those drivers and police officers I've offended forgive me.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
While they may not, personally, they are bound to do what their boss tells them... within reason, of course.

"I vas only followink or-derz" didn't work at Nurumburg in '46....

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While they may not, personally, they are bound to do what their boss tells them... within reason, of course.

"I vas only followink or-derz" didn't work at Nurumburg in '46....

True, but the officer was clearly pissed about my headlights, and that is understandable, because I share some of his concern on blinding traffic.

Here I am, almost 2 years and 30,000 miles of riding a "bullet bike" under my belt, and I'm still alive today. Who else would pay $113 dollars for that chance?

:cool:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Would it be too stereotypical of me to think that the entire department shares the same views there "Captain" does?
That is as flawed, logically, as their argument against sport bikes. Besides, I find it hard to believe, if this is a town/city of a decent size, that no one in the department rides a sport bike.

Maybe they just need to puat a few in their lineup also. Wouldn't that be the point of having Chargers/Mustangs/Camaros/Corvettes in the lineup?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
safety is the reason you should dim your lights
it HINDERS the ability to see for the oncoming drivers.

here
Drive Friendly has now changed to

Don't mess with Texas

the police mentality is for safety
many sportbikes have taken to the streets with the street racer attitude and play on the public roads and highways rather than the track.

all the police I have met are still Human
and all class C tickets are at their discretion.

;)

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is as flawed, logically, as their argument against sport bikes. Besides, I find it hard to believe, if this is a town/city of a decent size, that no one in the department rides a sport bike.

Maybe they just need to puat a few in their lineup also. Wouldn't that be the point of having Chargers/Mustangs/Camaros/Corvettes in the lineup?

That was sarcasm, as are most of my comments about cops. All cops aren't idiots or asshats, I know from experience as well.

:p

His exact words were, "We have a Zero Tolerance policy with Bullet Bikes."

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
safety is the reason you should dim your lights
it HINDERS the ability to see for the oncoming drivers.

here
Drive Friendly has now changed to

Don't mess with Texas

the police mentality is for safety
many sportbikes have taken to the streets with the street racer attitude and play on the public roads and highways rather than the track.

all the police I have met are still Human
and all class C tickets are at their discretion.

;)

Thanks for

the info. I think I've

said three times now that I know

about the dimming the

headlights law. I haven't been in any

accidents involving cars, and I'd like

to think being seen has something

to do with it. I'm sorry

if that annoys you and is unsafe, but like

I said, I will

install the less bright HID's, and

never use my brights

again.

P.S. - There is a dividing wall between all the highwways up here. I was blinding the cars in front of me...

·
Registered
267 Posts
lol, I feel you man, Haltom City sucks ass.....period.
Thats one of the things I can't stand about TX, as soon as you get out side the city limits of any "major" city like Dallas, FTW, etc., you're transported back in time to Hazzard county.
Fucking sucks.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
True, but the officer was clearly pissed about my headlights, and that is understandable, because I share some of his concern on blinding traffic.

Here I am, almost 2 years and 30,000 miles of riding a "bullet bike" under my belt, and I'm still alive today. Who else would pay $113 dollars for that chance?

I'm not talking about just the Law
I'm talking about being courteous on the road

2 years is not a lot of time.
good luck though

I think I've had every ticket known to man, also after almost 35 years of riding my opinions come from much experience.

Plead innocent and ask for jury trial.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
should have done the dual headlight mod, i hate to say i told you so
as far as the plate is concerned, I'd leave it and take the other route

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
should have done the dual headlight mod, i hate to say i told you so
as far as the plate is concerned, I'd leave it and take the other route
Dual 6000k HID's will be better, and I think there's a group buy going on right now...

:D

I didn't get the chance to let the officer know that my inspection sticker was within 6 inches of my license plate, to the rear of the motorcycle, per Texas Transportation Code §548.255 this time.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts