Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys,

So i need to change my fairly new front tyre due to bad puncture.
Bikes been sleeping a while now. Here they dont sell single tyre, Only by set.
Found someone who needs a new rear tyre and share cost.

Can you recommend which is the best tyre for this bike.
- Riding will be fully road, no track. Weekend bike.
- Must be able to handle heavy rain. ( Asia )

I suppose i should use same tyre size 120/70 and 160/60.
( Dunlop Roadsmart 2 )
But none come in this combination.

Only these tyres available at the dealers
Shinko 010 120/60 + 160/60
Shinko 011 120/60 + 160/60
Metzeller Sportec M3 120/60 +160/60
Bridgestone BT090 120/70 + 150/60
Metzeller Sportec M5 120/60 +150/60
Bridgestone Batallax 023 ( size not told yet)

Most of the 120/70 comes with 180/55 or 190/55 which i guess is unsuitable rear.
So im kinda stuck with 120/60s mixed with my current Roadsmart 160/60 Rear. Will that work? Different brands , Which should i choose?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm currently running Pirelli Angels, and they are very good also!

Reactions: Wabbit1961

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any chance you could order from an online vendor and have the local shop there install for you? Would allow you to get what you want/need.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Why can't you buy a 120/70 front tire? That just seems really odd to me. I wouldn't put a 120/60 on the front of either of my bikes unless it was an act of total desperation.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
941 Posts
PR3. Order online and have it shipped to you. If shops don't want to install, it's possible to diy with tire spoons, or even big screwdriver/pry bars in a pinch. Balancing might be a problem, but you can rig up a static balancer with a little ingenuity with stuff you find around the house.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
PR3. Order online and have it shipped to you. If shops don't want to install, it's possible to diy with tire spoons, or even big screwdriver/pry bars in a pinch. Balancing might be a problem, but you can rig up a static balancer with a little ingenuity with stuff you find around the house.
I second this. I run the pilot road 3 and its a very good tire. I will keep this tire on my bike. I wish i could get one on the twofiddy. Very good in rain. Made a noticeable difference coming of the stock roadsmarts. I bought a static balancer for a touch under $100. Now i can stay home and change tires. No motlre driving to the shop and paying for labor.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm pretty confident in my Metzeler M3s in the wet.
not pushing it of course, just a bit more cautious turning, they do well

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks for info, i had no idea 120/60 would be so different.
But a single 120/70 is not available.

I think having it shipped would be very exp but please give me links to where you ordered online i wanna check the possibility. Having it fitted locally will be easy.

Ok could you guys rank the tyres in terms of suitability/recommendation.
(sized for this bike, road only, wet capable)
Please don't recommend me any track tyres.

Would you say?
1) PR3
2)Pirelli Angels
3)Batallax 023
4)Metzeller M3
4)Roadsmart 2
5)Shinko 010

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Definitely pr3's. Shinko is ok, but only ok. It is a cheaper tire so it acts like one. I ran some for a while and never could get mileage of them. I've run several different Michelins and always liked them. I had a few contiattacks too. They are good

·
Registered
53 Posts
I, too, need new tires soon.

I've heard really good things about the Pirelli Angels on our bikes, can someone say how well they perform in the rain?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I, too, need new tires soon.

I've heard really good things about the Pirelli Angels on our bikes, can someone say how well they perform in the rain?
I recently completed a 700km ride and experienced the heaviest Thunderstorm in my entire driving duration. There were cars pulled over to the side of the road as they could not see where they were going. This lasted for about 10mins, and I was travelling about 90kph(Straight roads!)

Did not feel any loss of traction or squirm out of the tyres.
Best selection of tyres I have had!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Michelin PR3s DEFINITELY!
Great in the dry, EXCELLENT in the wet.
Real confidence inspiring tyres!!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Last May my Dunlop Sportsmarts were excellent while crossing Bulgaria under extremely heavy rain and by that I mean 60 to 80kph cruising with periodic aquaplanning and low visibility. They were excellent under pressure in Romania's mountain passes too.

Not bad for a sport tire good for track use too.

I know they are not in the list and they are kinda old, just wanted to share my input (and maybe they can be bought cheaper too).

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like my Pilot Power tyres, but I hear so much about the PR3's that i think that will be my next tire. Just couldn't pass up the price I got for the Power's at the time, even though it might be a bit too much tyre for the bike.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
How many miles are people getting out of their tires? I feel like mine are past the age of safety but they have plenty of meat left. I am about a day trip away from 10,000 miles. I have the OEM BT-023s and my bike is an 06 (!!!).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts