Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
How many miles are people getting out of their tires? I feel like mine are past the age of safety but they have plenty of meat left. I am about a day trip away from 10,000 miles. I have the OEM BT-023s and my bike is an 06 (!!!).
You should change your tires ASAP.

My mileage depends on the number of track days I attend and it is balanced by the non-existent friction levels of the greek roads.

I don't keep tires fitted for more than two years. After that period of time all their positive attributes are diminished and safety levels are diminishing too.

So make yourself a favor and put on a new set.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just got new tires today, I'd become so accustom to the oem Dunlop road smart 2's feel On the 650 that the q3's they put on felt ridiculously over responsive. The bike feels completely differnt and to make the matters worse the entire ride home was a wet one! Bad time to try new tires. Hope Sunday is sunny

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do you track your bike or do very spirited riding? Q3's are not a high mileage tire. I reached 4K miles track and street. You may get 5K miles if you are brave.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Just got new tires today, I'd become so accustom to the oem Dunlop road smart 2's feel On the 650 that the q3's they put on felt ridiculously over responsive. The bike feels completely differnt and to make the matters worse the entire ride home was a wet one! Bad time to try new tires. Hope Sunday is sunny

Don't worry, you will soon adapt to the new tire characteristics and then you will be able to judge them more objectively.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I remember the last ride on my Dunlops; they were so squared off from the daily commute, when I leaned into a turn I actually felt the bike jump.
Took a few days getting used to a normal rounded tire again! :)

New tires can take longer to mentally break in, than actual road mileage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you track your bike or do very spirited riding? Q3's are not a high mileage tire. I reached 4K miles track and street. You may get 5K miles if you are brave.

No track here in honolulu, but I push it where I can when it's safe to. it was what the dealer had in stock on the cheaper end, and yea I was highly concerned about the mileage they could handle. I do commuting here. No other options. I loved the roadsmart 2's. The were great in rain (get a lot here). Maybe I'll get some again next time, or maybe by then I won't get raped on the price. I miss the mainland! I miss the track! I miss a set of tires not costing $500

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey there, i been away from my computer for quite a while, am back today.

So surprised to see this thread alive again, this was originally posted by me.

Awesome!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Didn't wanna change them yet honestly. Just shy of 7000 miles. And mostly short commutes to and from work in bumper to bumper traffic, I feel it could've waited a while, but the stealership was doing my state safety inspection. And so it was either replace them, or pay to have it towed and still pay to replace them before I was legal. And god bless hawaii they put a huge ole 2 under my plate and a color coded label right next to that for the year it expired, so it wasn't like I was gonna fool the fuzz.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How many miles are people getting out of their tires? I feel like mine are past the age of safety but they have plenty of meat left. I am about a day trip away from 10,000 miles. I have the OEM BT-023s and my bike is an 06 (!!!).
Sporty, definitely change your tires as soon as you can... I know for car tires that it's recommended to change your tires at least every 5 years, due to the rubber drying out in your tires, compound degrading, etc. For bikes it might be even less time, due to the fact that there is NO redundancy in the system. Lose a car tire, you still have balance in the system. Lose a bike tire, you've got nothing to fall back on.

I bought my bike with the stock BT-023s that were well worn on the front. Back was ok, but there was "cupping", deformation of the tread pattern due to torque/age. Replaced them both with my current Pilot Power's and the change was night and day. A LOT more confidence, better response, felt much safer in the wet. Have about 4,500 miles on them and they still seem to have plenty of life left (about 10 months old).

·
Registered
351 Posts
there aint much choice over here in tyres and the only sure thing is they will rip you a new ringpiece on the price. theyre around £300 a pair:eek:
ive managed to go round more right hand bends than left so the right side is as bald as the chicken. it will be 023's for me but not till we've done a bit of burnout fun in a ride in gogo bar out of town........:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Just read a review about the new Dunlop Sportsmart 2 tyres.

Their performance in the wet was particularly praised and they are more compliant and comfortable on road :cool:

·
Registered
201 Posts
there aint much choice over here in tyres and the only sure thing is they will rip you a new ringpiece on the price. theyre around £300 a pair:eek:
ive managed to go round more right hand bends than left so the right side is as bald as the chicken. it will be 023's for me but not till we've done a bit of burnout fun in a ride in gogo bar out of town........:D
+1 for the rubber chicken... 6 maniac, it seems like Thailand is a terrible place to own a motorcycle, based on your recent experiences...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I'm in the market for some new tyres and having done a bit of googling, this thread came up. I quite fancy the Roadtec 01s recommended here but wondering if they're a bit overkill for the ER6. They look like bit touring bike tyres but I like the idea of a tyre that works well in the wet. Have any of you guys (and gals) run them? If so, do you rate them? Thank you.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If they’re touring tyres maybe also try the Versys 650 forum. Similar bike but riders of those tend to be more touring and less sporting so your likelihood of getting someone to comment is higher.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
329 Posts
Hi all, I'm in the market for some new tyres and having done a bit of googling, this thread came up. I quite fancy the Roadtec 01s recommended here but wondering if they're a bit overkill for the ER6. They look like bit touring bike tyres but I like the idea of a tyre that works well in the wet. Have any of you guys (and gals) run them? If so, do you rate them? Thank you.
I've ran my ER6 on Roads 5s mostly, and i can wholeheartedly recommend them after over 30k miles on them ,each set lasting 11-13k miles, and it's perfect for that bike, extreme wet performance, plenty enough dry grip for the bike's limits, and last a long time. Bit expensive off the bat but it'll come back in longevity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 for the Road5. I've had mine on for about 10,000km and absolutely love them.
I ride just about everything, spirited twisties, 2-up, long tours loaded with gear and even some grave (only by accident, but they feel great)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts