Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for people who have gone in the past and have camped (tents) who could offer some advice. Thinking of riding out this year but from their web site, it looks as if the camping at the track might not be the best option. Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was staying in Indy when it was going on. The only thing I remember a group of guys saying is that bikes get to park for free inside the track. Sorry I'm not much help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have went both years and had tickets for the entire event (Thursday through Sunday). The first year I did not stay as I only live 50 miles away. However, there are a lot of events going on in the evenings (bike shows, freestyle/stunting events, cruising, etc.) and I was ending up staying over there until 3am and then having to ride home. Not only was it a chilly ride home, but you are getting up fairly early the next morning for qualifying, etc. That makes for some long days consecutively. If you recall, the remnants of a hurricane came through, so I am somewhat glad I wasn't camping. Heck, I didn't even ride over on race day as rain was imminent.

Last year we (tent) camped. A weekend parking pass was like $40 and camping was $50 for the weekend which included parking for (1) vehicle. We ended up taking a panel van with the bikes and all of our gear in it. Each bike cost an additional $10 so that you could ride in and out of the campground without any problems. In other words, it cost you $30 more to camp than strictly park. We stayed in the parking lot just west of the speedway behind the VFW if you are familiar with the area. They also had shower facilities, and the VFW served breakfast. Of course there is plenty of bench racing going on around the different campsites as well.

RV camping was available too and I thought about it as I have a pop-up. However, it was $150 for the weekend with no hookups. There were only two in my group that commited to going, so it was not worth it. As a veteran, I asked the VFW about camping on their premises as you could not ask for anything better (or more secure). They wanted $300 for the weekend. Doh!

The first year I also paid like $150 for reserved seating. The package included "VIP" parking for the motorcycles which was on the back straight as we bought around 20 tickets in a block. I won't do that again as I prefer to move around and find the place I want to sit. Especially since, except for race day, they did not check tickets and I sat in the most awesome (read high dollar) seats to watch practice and qualifying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts