Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Ninja ZX6R
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched quite a bit here and otherwise but haven't run across anyone converting an '07-'08 to GP shifting. Looking at the rod it doesn't seem possible without some pretty extensive modifications. Simply flipping the tab where the shaft exits the transmission would make the rod interfere with the sprocket cover as well as the rear set mount.

·
40,799 Posts
The easiest way is with aftermarket rearsets. I've seen people notch the sprocket cover but I personally wouldn't do that unless I had a second cover in case I wanted to put it back to stock for some reason.

·
Registered
2007 Ninja ZX6R
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see how a rearset alone would address the sprocket cover interference. It would likely address the rearset mount interference depending on how it was configured. I've seen some extensions for the connector where it comes out of the transmission to space it out. I do kind of like the concept of putting the lever on the transmission shaft. Just need to find one that is the right OD for the shaft, length and offset to clear.

·
Registered
2007 Ninja ZX6R
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered this. Seems like it should fit the bill nicely. If not it’s a few bucks wasted.

·
Registered
2007 Ninja ZX6R
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not expecting any kind of performance gain or quicker shifting. It seems like it might feel more natural to have the shifting reversed so I just want to give it a go. If I don't like it it's easy to go back.

·
40,799 Posts
I don't see how a rearset alone would address the sprocket cover interference. It would likely address the rearset mount interference depending on how it was configured. I've seen some extensions for the connector where it comes out of the transmission to space it out. I do kind of like the concept of putting the lever on the transmission shaft. Just need to find one that is the right OD for the shaft, length and offset to clear.
It moves the rod from the bottom of the lever to the top, same concept as flipping the linkage on the trans input. It moves it from pull to push (or vice versa).

Unless you're racing it on the track it's really not worth it, IMHO.
It is worth it, trust me. Pushing down on the shift lever when accelerating is safer (when shifting through a turn) and easier.

I'm not expecting any kind of performance gain or quicker shifting. It seems like it might feel more natural to have the shifting reversed so I just want to give it a go. If I don't like it it's easy to go back.
It does feel more natural. Give it an honest chance and you'll never go back. It's literally the first mod I do to any of my bikes. Riding a bike with a standard shift pattern feels so awkward and unnatural.

Cool. I've ridden too long with the normal shift pattern and know I'd forget and down shift instead of up and blow something up.
You'd be surprised at how quick you would relearn the muscle memory. It literally only takes a few days if you're riding in town (somewhere that you shift a lot).

I couldn't give a shit less whether someone prefers a standard pattern or a GP pattern, but it's not a "race only" thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is worth it, trust me. Pushing down on the shift lever when accelerating is safer (when shifting through a turn) and easier.
Oh I agree. Shifting through a turn, it's advantageous. Just the rest of your ride, for me, is unnecessary. I ride a lot of different type bikes. Some of which flipping them all to GP isn't an option. So I'd have to think what bike I'm on and have that in the back of my mind constantly. And when you riding with so many octogenarians (Arizona) who aren't paying any attention to you, you don't want to have one other thing to think about at a moments notice. ;)

·
40,799 Posts
Oh I agree. Shifting through a turn, it's advantageous. Just the rest of your ride, for me, is unnecessary. I ride a lot of different type bikes. Some of which flipping them all to GP isn't an option. So I'd have to think what bike I'm on and have that in the back of my mind constantly. And when you riding with so many octogenarians (Arizona) who aren't paying any attention to you, you don't want to have one other thing to think about at a moments notice. ;)
Absolutely agree if you're switching bikes. It would take a lot of thought to be able to shift either way on demand.

·
Registered
2007 Ninja ZX6R
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I did it, easy peasy, not even a one beer job. The lever did need to have the offset increased a bit which was easily accomplished with a vice and rubber mallot but the length is pretty spot on. It fits to the shaft splines and the bolt goes through the groove in the shaft to keep it from coming off exactly the same as stock. I had it higher initially to be more in line with the foot peg but that proved uncomfortable so I shifted it one spline down and it's ~perfect.

I've only taken it around the block but so far I'm digging it. As a bonus, neutral seems easier to find now, likely due to a longer moment of inertia. In any case it was ~$12 and ten minutes well spent and if I decide to go back it couldn't be easier. If I decide to keep it I'll sand and paint it to blend in better.

I neglected to take before pics. :( And yes I will be cleaning and lubing my chain soon. ;)

White Light Automotive tire Bicycle chain Crankset

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts