Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to install my new race rails.
I got excited and made the HUGE mistake of removing both motor mount bolts at the same time without replacing them.

So now I can't get the new bolts in.
When you look through the hole the motor has shifted forward slightly and just under 1/4 of the hole is obstructed.

We tried what seemed like everything to fix it.
Put a jack under the oil pan and jacked it up while I put all my weight on the tank...No luck the bike just lifted off the ground.
Tried putting a small bar in the hole and prying but that did nothing as well. I have both tranny bolts loosened. It was a very frustrating day. Taking a break for the night at least.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it lined up?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have them all loose...Still no luck.

I can't take any pictures today, the bike is 30 minutes away in my buddies garage.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Raise the tank - I know my tank is a bitch to get down because it hits the airbox, so it's hell to get it down and line up the bolts. If yours is by chance the same way, it may be keeping your engine from coming up before lifting the bike. It's at least worth a shot. I can push my tank down enough to get it bolted with some effort, but I can lift my front wheel easier, so I know I'd have your problem if I was in your situation. May not be the same reason, though.

If that doesn't work, back out the engine-mount adjuster on the right side (it's reverse threaded I think, btw) just to make sure it isn't biting on that. If you have to do that, make sure you tighten stuff in order - first tighten the upper left bolt, then the lowest nut/bolt, then the one above that, then adjust the right engine mount adjuster (with a big ass allen wrench,) then the upper right bolt, then cinch down the lock nut on that adjuster - the locknut on the adjuster takes either a special Kawasaki tool (if you want to spend $$$ and wait for it to come in,) or a big ass pair of Vise Grips.

Good luck dude, hope tomorrow goes better than today.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I remember when I put my frame sliders in. I had one side in, and the bolt out of the other side. but for some reason (I can't remember now) I needed to go up to the hobby shop, because I didn't have the tool I needed. So off I go, and about half way there I noticed a clacking sound when I'd hit a bump... Then it hit me... I left one othe engine bolts out. Luckily when I got to the hobby shop. the engine hadn't moved much. It took some force because the holes were about 1/2 of a millimeter off., but the bolt went in just fine.

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
its where the motor mount/slider bolts goes through. its a castle nut. its got 4 slots in it. u can see the one on the right side easily.
and i wouldnt adjust more than 1. you dont want to get the motor all twisted in the frame.
u may end up having to have a dealer "align" it if you do.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks nevada.
I hope I don't have to go to the dealer since it would require buying ramps for my friend's pickup truck and tie downs. Plus the cost of the repair.

Man Do I regret this mistake.

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
basically a long punch.
but a smooth tapered shaft. made for aligning holes, axactly as ur attempting to do.
u could check sears, thats where i got mine.
DONT use on threaded holes thouogh.
will end up with more problems then u started with

·
Registered
381 Posts
u need to probly loosen up the adjusters that pinch the motor in the rear, dont know what side they are on but they thread through the frame and butt up agains the cases if those arent lose the engine wont move loosen them up and try jacking again.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
you gotta loosen the collars that the motor mount bolts go through on the right side. the two on the tranny are reversed thread, you can use the stock motor mount bolt to turn them or an allen wrench. loosen them until theres a gap between them and the the motor, then just barely snug them. it sounds like what i did happened to you. trying to loosen the motor mount bolt turning the 8mm allen motor mount bolt is actually tightening the adjusting collar.

now i have a question for you. what do the bolts look like that come with the rails? i have a powers cage but no motor mount bolts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just make sure you don't ride it like that!!! I took my cage off and painted it and decided to play a little while it dried and when I torqued on it a little it stuck the throttle wide open and shot out from under me because the motor shifted up and hung the throttle on the frame pushing it harder. Road Rash on your ASS hurts!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.