Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this is the first Kawi I have owned and I noticed what I believe to be a tick in the motor. Are Kawi's known to have a "noisy" motor or should it be looked at? To me it sounds like it's a metallic tick, like maybe valve train...or even the CCT. My 600RR has a noise in it, but every Honda I have had has always had it. Just wondering if this is a normal Kawi thing or not. I should say that it's not a loud tick but noticable none the less. Thanks ahead of time.

Dano

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
And I thought I was hearing things...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
my 2002 makes the same tick i think...it speeds up as the engine speeds up...but it isn't a completely constant tick...like tick...tick......tick...tick...tick...tick........tick....

mine seems to "ticks" like 80% of the time....

I think it's my valves slightly tapping...

but again my bike is at 7300 miles and due for the valve check....

perhaps Kawasaki runs their valves soo close to the outer rangee that they will "tick" slightly....

but most guys who own Kawasakis just tell me that Kawasaki makes noisy engines...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it completely nomrmall. Its the clean air valve. Do a search for tick and you'll see way too many posts about it already. It is a little annoying for me too. I had a 94 and 96 zx6r and none of them ticked but my 03 does.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tommy, that was a lot of reading but it was well worth it. Now at least I don't think my vavles are tappin.

Dano

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
does the 2002 have this clean air thing? the taping seems like it's comming from the front right side of the motor and speeds up as the rpms rise...

perhaps my tapping is different than you guys....

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Andy, your Kawi has it too. You're is much heavier than the O3's are however. You would benifit in throttle response if you removed all that stuff. Run a search for "'03 KLEEN Removal - how to" and you'll find everything you need to know about getting rid of all that crap. It'll take you an hour or two to do it. Some claim this modification nets you some horsepower, I find that statement negligable but there is a definate improvement in throttle response. :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
so is my tapping comming from the Kleen system? Is it located in the front right portion of the engine/bike? Does the ticking speed up as engine revs go up? I swore mine is the valves tapping slightly...

I will remove the Kleen system if that is what's casuing the sound, but if it's not I doubt I go through the trouble for slighly better throttle response...

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676

does the 2002 have this clean air thing? the taping seems like it's comming from the front right side of the motor and speeds up as the rpms rise...

perhaps my tapping is different than you guys....
As far as I know, I've been told this is completely normal. Mine does it too Andy (5600 miles) and has for as long as I can remember. A friend of mine, his wife has the same bike as I do and has the same thing happening. I don't really notice it unless I'm thinking about it anymore. Guess I got used to it.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
good one Rob, and I do wear ear plugs for long trips...

the ticking isn't bad but all my Honda buddies make fun of it....so I was hoping to get it resolved..guess I'll find out when I do the valve check...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.