Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please explain to me, you know when the steering like completely goes and the

bike starts wobbling a lot and then they eventually crash - what exactly is it that broke :s?

cause i keep seeing it happen in loads of vids etc.

damn. thats pretty damn dangerous! fucking idiots these days.. u would get killed with

quickness like that someday.. u never know that could happen to anyone...don't matter if ur a

professional or not....

http://car.iqwww.com/motocross/motorcycle-accident-motorsiklet-kazalar-2-24/

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think thats called "speed wobble"...Nothing really breaks...They just lost control and couldn't correct it.....Same thing as a skateboard going to fast down hill...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
If you are referring to Head shake (or a tank slapper)...Ideed, nothing breaks.

Generally the front wheel (or rear) looses traction and regains it out of alignment with the bikes direction...a slide, wheelie, endo - whatever. This causes the whole chassis to twist and flex. If you think of the frame of a bike as a big spring (an undamped spring), you can imagine it wants to flex back....and of course it overshoots. This oscillation can damp out quickly and often does if you don't ride a GSXR (sorry, I had to throw that in there)....or get much worse depending if there continue to be flexing inputs at the wrong times....rider input, if the tires keep hopping, road irregularities etc.

You can get some high speed stability issues if the rear end is too light (jacked up).

Steering dampers can save your bacon in situations like these. I've first-hand seen head shakes end on the ground 3 times.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This oscillation can damp out quickly and often does if you don't ride a GSXR (sorry, I had to throw that in there)....
HAH.

m*d^2x/dt^2 + kx = F*cos(wt)

here k=GSXR i.e. *BOING*

yay steering dampers

m*d^2x/dt^2 + kx - b*dx/dt = F*cos(wt) means no slappy slappy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts