Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2-way paging alarm system off ebay and was thinking it would be easy to install. After seeing the wiring diagrams, this is very confusing. Has anyone installed an alarm on their '00-'02/'5-'07 zzr600 yet? If so, do you have any pics or where was the main wiring harness I can tie into the left & right blinkers, ign. and starter? Thanks for any help, Chris.

PS - I have a service manual already also so I have all the wiring schematics. Just following the wires can't figure out the best place to splice into where I can grab everything.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I installed a scorpio on my ZZR600 ('06). I don't have pics but it was really straight forward with the wiring harness plug. The best way I found to do it is:
1)remove back and front seat
2) remove back cowl by removing the two grab handles. You may want a friend to help here because you need to twist it a bit to get it off the bike smoothly (I make this sound much harder than it is)
3) tap into the turn signals first. There are 2 wires each. They have their own white connector plugs on each side (about half the size of the main wiring harness plug.
4) you should not be able to miss the main wiring harness. I believe it is on the left side as you are facing forward. Same side as the side stand. Depending on what features your alarm has, tap into the appropriate wires. You should have a chart with the wire color codes for the features your alarm has (eg ignition kill, flashing lights, passive arming etc)
The color codes for wires listed by scorpio are:

black wire = ground
red wire = tail light
green wire = left turn signal
grey wire = right turn signal

Like I say, I had a factory wiring harness adaptor so it was pretty much plug and play. They did have very good instructions for if you did not want to use the harness. Hope that helps some!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the seats and tail off. I mounted the brain and horn on the right side attached to the rear frame. I also mounted the 3 relays that came with the unit under the front seat above the main junction box. I was going to connect into the rear signals like you said, but wasn't sure if it would operate the front also from that same connection. I guess I am just used to how a car is wired and worried about hurting my bike. I do custom stereo system installs in cars so I know how to wire, just worried cause I am stepping into some unchartered territory for myself.

·
Registered
613 Posts
yes if you tap into the turn signals there the front ones will work also. That whole "parallel vs series" wiring will mess with you :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was looking at the bike's wiring diagram, it looked like I could tap into it anywhere. I guess I just need to get over the fear and just do it. Thanks for your help. Hopefully I can get this finished tonight.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got this alarm hooked up and is working. I have not connected the two wires for the starter kill switch and also haven't decided if i will hook up the remote start. i kinda see no point in having it. You would have to make sure it was neutral and my bike being caberated, you would have to turn the choke on after you parked in (cold weather that is). I will connect the starter kill at a later date and probably just cut the remote start wire. Other than that, wasn't too hard and works pretty good for a $50 alarm. Made the neighborhood dogs bark at least. Here is a link to the same one if anyone is interested. Again thanks to all who helped me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-way-LCD-motor...3QQihZ009QQcategoryZ94832QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.