Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, uh, yea. I just bought a gps unit and it came with the car cigarette lighter adapter, is there any way to power the navi unit from the battery?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes.
Go to Radio Shack and get a 12v car lighter socket.
Wire it to anything that gets power from ignition, ex: running lights.

Plug the charger into that, then find a place to tuck/wire tie the wiring.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
(reps coming your way)

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
what kind of gps is it? both my Quest and Zumo come with motorcycle mounts. It's better than plugging it into a lighter socket since the cradle also has a locking mechanism.

that being said, I also have cig lighters on all my bikes. Comes in handy for charging the cel phone and for my air compressor.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yes.

why not just strip both ends and put a smaller plug in?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what kind of gps is it? both my Quest and Zumo come with motorcycle mounts. It's better than plugging it into a lighter socket since the cradle also has a locking mechanism.

that being said, I also have cig lighters on all my bikes. Comes in handy for charging the cel phone and for my air compressor.
It's a regular car navi system; Garmin nuvi 205 (link). The suction mount sticks surprisingly well to the spedo and I don't think it will fall off, but I have a backup aparatus which will hopefully save my system if the suction was to blow. I can run it on the battery for aroud 4-5 hrs, but I was wondering if it was any easy to do the lighter socket mod, it seems like it is, so I might give it a shot (might is the key-word there). Also, this noob is interested in what an air compressor might me, is it an electronic air pump of sorts?

why not just strip both ends and put a smaller plug in?
Because you watch them turtles.
No, that might be a more elegant solution (if I understand you correctly) but it would require me stripping the cables of everything I would want to connect to the battery. A good idea though.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Most auto parts stores carry lighter sockets that weather proof plugs so they can get wet when your not using them too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts