Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently here in New York, police have been having 'motorcycle checkpoints,' where they only stop motorcycles to make sure everybody has their papers.
here's the article:

SUFFOLK COUNTY /
Motorcycle Checks on LIE
In what they describe as an ongoing effort to keep roads safe and reduce accidents, Suffolk police conducted a motorcycle checkpoint on the Long Island Expressway Sunday.
Nearly half the motorcycle riders stopped just east of Exit 66 were issued summonses for driving violations, police said. Of the 185 bikes stopped, 84 were found to have violations. A total of 126 summonses were issued during the day-long operation, police said.
Eighty of those summonses were issued for equipment violations, such as malfunctioning headlights or defective turning signals. Seven were for operating unlicensed or unregistered vehicles.
Three riders were arrested for driving with suspended licenses, a misdemeanor; nine for driving without any motorcycle license at all, police said.
Eight others who tried to avoid the checkpoint were pulled over and issued summonses for moving violations, police said. The penalty for the various summonses varies.
Riders waved into the checkpoint were required to produce all necessary documentation. Their bikes were also visually inspected, police said.
This summer, there have been more than 12 fatal motorcycle accidents on Long Island.
- Samuel Bruchey

WTF is this? Is anybody else angered by this? And the fact that there have been 12 motorcycle accidents has nothing to do with having papers. It's the people in the cars that cause the accidents, and yet there's no "automobile checkpoints." now i know that not all accidents are caused by other drivers, but with so many people out there against motorcycles, shouldn't at least the cops not try to further harass motorcyclists?

·
Registered
755 Posts
With almost half of the people that they pulled over getting citations, I'm sure they are patting themselves on their backs and will do it again. What a waste of time, Suffolk county has MUCH bigger problems than motorcycles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
note to self: dont ride in long island. :D

seriously though, i dont think the nypd in the 5 boros would do this or waste their time with something like this.

on a side note, 2 riders were killed on staten island this past sunday. one passed away trying to avoid a car that was making an illegal left hand turn from the right lane and the other guy was going as the nypost said "at excessive speeds" when his front wheel hit the center median of the road and he went flying off the bike. my prayers go out to them and their families.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I think it's great. I bet a lot of equipment citations were written because tires were out of tread! While getting a motorcycle permit is a joke, you should have one anyway! Also of note, not having proper papers on you is one thing, sometimes you forget your wallet at home that's a chicken shit ticket. Riding an unregistered bike HA morons! If it's unregistered it's probably un-insured which means if that guy twats me for his lack of competence then I'm screwed!

Granted it sucks because because police are targeting bikes, but what do you expect? I stayed at a friend's place in North Carolina and we were stopped twice in her car at checkpoints to make sure people had proper licenses and insurance.

If this is what it's going to take to keep a few idiots out there from hurting me or someone I know, Hoo rah! If you've got yoiur bike registered, insured and you have your cycle endorsement you've got nothing to worry about. If you don't like what they're doing, when they stop and let you go 'cause you did everything right, flip them the bird and have fun. Maybe they won't like it, but there's nothing they can do if you give em' the finger.

Do it legal and do it right before you bitch.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ya, but cops can give a citation for almost anything. Although most of those citations will be thrown out, you still have to spend time in court...

-Ben

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ha ha ha, welcome to the board Greensmoke, I noticed that was your first post...so funny, some people start with, Hey What's up! This is my new bike!
He gets right in the balls of the conversation :)

And I agree with him...are they really allowed to do this?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
As if riding a motorcycle around isn't enough reason to want attention. It might not be fair however, coming from selling people bikes I think it's a great idea so those out there that haven't clue about riding are discouraged from even trying to ride.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As someone already said, if you have all of your paperwork (as you should), then you have nothing to worry about. When I lived in Charleston, SC the cops did this alot, but they stopped everyone, not just bikes. The article mentioned something about turn signals not working....I ride with a couple of guys that don't have any turn signals at all, they just use hand signals. Aren't hand signals legal? There are alot of classic cars that weren't made with turn signals....do they get tickets as well? I got a ticket (my first one on my 6R) on Aug 3rd, but it was for doing 105mph in a 60mph zone. My buddies and I were on a country road in the middle of a turn and got clocked by Texas HP...can't argue that one. It was a $450.00 mistake....at least we didn't go to jail!

·
Registered
251 Posts
They should pull over all vehicles ......it is kinda screwed up that they targeted only bikes....... Then if they want to grab every bike that rolls by then that is their decision. I do agree however that if your papers arent in line then you are just asking for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
DEZixxer,

Thank you.. I like to get to the point :) You notice when dogs meet each other, they smell each others asses? I'd just rather skip the "smell me" message. People seem to have a incredible desire to hang out there asses and have them sniffed by all for the satisfaction of acceptance.

Does this look familiar:

N00b: "HI! Here's my new 600RR. I put on these 50 aftermarket components that have nothing to do with performance but they sure look cool; bling bling. I can't wait to do these 30 other stupid things to it.... I love the board, you are all the greatest!"

Response: "Awesome bike man! Those are some trick mods. Everybody must want to be your friend because you are so bling bling; I know I want to. Be sure to put some pics up when you do your 30 other stupid things Welcome aboard!!!"

Noob: <thinking> wow, I am so cool. I better go check Ebay to see if I won that auction for those carbon sliders!

So instead of smelling each other, we can get to know each other through content that has a little more meaning :)

-Todd

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a simple case of profiling. They are "profiling" bike riders and basically harassing them. To me, this is no different than racial, ethnic, sex or age profiling. They are basically treating every rider like they are doing something wrong by riding a bike when it is perfectly legal to do so.

Now I agree that if you aren't doing wrong you have nothing to hide, but that really isn't the point. As a rider, I'd much rather have them pull over every car on the road because it's somebody illegally driving one of those which is going to be killing a couple of us some day. The job of law enforment is to "Serve and Protect the Public"; if they pull over an illegal rider, whom are they protecting?

Sure, I'd love to see all the idiot riders out there off the street to make the rest of us whom aren't idiots not get such a bad rap all the time, but I can assure most of the idiots riding have thier papers.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they can't pull over car drivers because unfortunately stupidity is not a crime. Sheer ignorance and not paying attention to the road kill many more people then not having your papers in line. I would ride my motorcycle regardless of what the little piece of paper in my wallet said. I do currently have all my papers in line, but there have been many times when I had to get to work or had to get out for that sunday morning ride while my license was suspended. I still drove the same as I always did. I didn't fly off my bike because I didn't have a license. I could still operate a motorcycle. I do realize now that I was lucky I didn't get pulled over though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is such BS!!! If I know that they are doing it again, I am going to ride there and make smart ass remarks to them(cause I got all my papers and everything is legal on my bike). Do you think they could be sued? Not that I would spend the money to sue or anything like that, just curious?

John

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
hey did something like that in pa. but they checked exhaust sounds for stright pipes[:M74]

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"hey did something like that in pa. but they checked exhaust sounds for stright pipes"

that would suck for 99% of the Harley riders, or were the Harley riders excluded?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts