Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is in the wrong place or not. But I figured I would try here anyway.

The organization I am president of the National Society of Black Engineers at Cal State Fullerton. I wanted to see if there was anyone who had an old motorcycle or track bike that they would be willing to donate at no cost. Since we are a non-profit organization you will be able to write off the donation on your taxes.

The reason we are looking for a motorcycle donation is because we are looking to get all of our engineering student to work on a project for the academic year. We are trying to build the bike from just the frame, engine, and wheels to be able to create a bike that is capable of racing at one of the amateur rounds at Auto Club Speeway in Fontana, CA. The process will be documented in case the person who donates the motorcycle is interested in seeing the progress.

We prefer a 600 if possible to keep it as simple as possible since that is what I ride and am familiar with, but obviously we are considering anything that can be given to us. I have my chapter email below and you can email me with any questions or concerns regarding the information.

Andreas Schauer
CSU Fullerton
NSBE President
[email protected]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not to sound like an a** but why not have your student do something more meaning full. The project they build can lead them to getting hire for a company like GE, Rockwell Automation or IBM. Building a race bike is cool and all but isn't going to help them land a job after graduation.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not to sound like an a** but why not have your student do something more meaning full. The project they build can lead them to getting hire for a company like GE, Rockwell Automation or IBM. Building a race bike is cool and all but isn't going to help them land a job after graduation.
Because he won't get a free track bike it off that...

I hate tapatalk; but this was sent from it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, this has nothing to do with me trying to get anything! This is for an organization first and foremost and will not be mine at any point! It is to promote being an engineer for African-Americans in underprivileged areas, so I will not address this again.

@mikeurtno - basically we are trying to do what race teams are paid to do to a stock bike. So the components that are not as easy to be manufactured are necessary, but we will be doing the bodywork, wiring harness, ecu design, motor build, etc. We have access to a machine shop at our school, but the knowledge is the only limiting factor. We want to build something that needs work and make it something that can be raced at a track, so we can show all of the neighboring high school, community college students, as well as other chapters of the organization to show what we can do as engineers.

@kevinRR - this is a very meaning project for engineers. We have a large amount of mechanical engineers in my chapter, who this would apply to. Projects for the companies you mentioned are highly technical and would cost a large amount of money, which makes it impossible to do. Plus we have two other projects that we are doing besides this one, so this isn't the only thing they are involved in, especially with approximately 20 engineers working on this. It will land them a job because it is real world experience for them.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Why not use your bike? If it's not going to be raced you could make up a lot of trick components for it. And potentially keep most of them at the end of things. Turn it back to street legal at the end of the year.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simply for the fact that my bike is in great condition and we are looking for something that would already need work to begin with. Also, if I use mine I have no way to get to school since that's what I use everyday to get to class. It will also be the end of the academic year in May, not just the end of the calendar year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So the components that are not as easy to be manufactured are necessary, but we will be doing the bodywork, wiring harness, ecu design, motor build, etc.

@kevinRR - this is a very meaning project for engineers. We have a large amount of mechanical engineers in my chapter, who this would apply to. Projects for the companies you mentioned are highly technical and would cost a large amount of money, which makes it impossible to do. Plus we have two other projects that we are doing besides this one, so this isn't the only thing they are involved in, especially with approximately 20 engineers working on this. It will land them a job because it is real world experience for them.
The company I work for has a mentor program that goes out and help college students design and build cool stuff. It doesn't cost a large amount of money to do it. It not like the engineers want them to build and design something that impossible with out dumping thousands of dollars in R & D.

You talk about doing body work, wire harness, ecu design and motor builds.
That right there will cause you to spend a lot of money. I have experience with electronic and also work in a machine shop prior to going back to school. ECU design and machining your own parts for the motor is going to cost you a pretty penny. So, I hope you have deep pocket and be prepare to spend.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
You guys should do some kind of raffle. Use the proceeds to buy a project bike and when the project is completed, raffle it off as the prize.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts